is it worth upgrading 3090 to 4090?

Amir F. Rad
Go to solution Solved by NF-A12x25,
6 hours ago, Amir F. Rad said:

i cant see beyond 30 40 htz 

everyone can, unless they have a severe degenerative eye disease lol. It doesn’t make your game look noticeably smoother past 120-165 but it does decrease reaction time by a lot.

as for your rendering issue maybe replacing it with a 4090 will decrease render times but not by a huge amount, 3090 is already very fast at rendering most things

Budget (including currency): 1600$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: catia, solidwork, corel draw, altium, maybe some demanding games like cyberpunk etc

Other details 13600k 16gb ddr4 3600 cl18, mobo msi b660m-e, 3090 palit gamingpro, monitor 1080*1920

is it worth for my use to upgrade from 3090 to 4090? or even from 13600k to 13900k? i usually do the designs in here and time to time maybe i do the aerodynamic rendering on this system, what do you think my friends, should i upgrade? which one, cpu, gpu

Do you spend a lot of time waiting around for things to complete in your work apps?

If you do wait a lot, do you know if the bottleneck is CPU, GPU or the RAM?

My uninformed opinion, is that the weak points of your PC are more likely to be the memory capacity and the low resolution monitor, than the CPU/GPU, but I have no idea about your workload and how intensive it is.

Are you running extremely high frame rates?

25 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

For 1080p? Absolutely not worth it. 4090 is for 4k Gaming. If you are not gaming at 4k, 4090 makes 0 sense.

Ehhhh not necessarily. There are extremely high refresh monitors out here.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Yeah but most games at 1080p are CPU bottlenecked way before a 4090 is at 100% 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

For the amount of money you'll be spending on a 4090 vs the difference in performance, it's not worth it. The 3090 is still plenty fast for most applications, i would rather upgrade the 13600k or 16gb ram first.

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Yeah but most games at 1080p are CPU bottlenecked way before a 4090 is at 100% 

And lots where they don't. The 4090 at 1080p barely touches 240fps let alone 360 or 500 on the titles that can reach that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

25 minutes ago, dizmo said:

And lots where they don't. The 4090 at 1080p barely touches 240fps let alone 360 or 500 on the titles that can reach that.

nah. games where it matters, a 3090 can reach 500FPS easy on 1440p max settings. Really high refresh (past like 120/144/165 standard high refresh rates) only matter in competitive shooters and such, most of which run fine on a potato. AAA games are fine even at 60 but are admittedly more immersive at 120

Hell even CS2, my 3070- much weaker- maxes out my 1440p 240hz display with only a couple settings turned down to medium.

20 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

nah. games where it matters, a 3090 can reach 500FPS easy on 1440p max settings. Really high refresh (past like 120/144/165 standard high refresh rates) only matter in competitive shooters and such, most of which run fine on a potato. AAA games are fine even at 60 but are admittedly more immersive at 120

Hell even CS2, my 3070- much weaker- maxes out my 1440p 240hz display with only a couple settings turned down to medium.

Right but some people don't want to lower anything. Max everything. It gets pretty demanding in such scenarios.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Right but some people don't want to lower anything. Max everything. It gets pretty demanding in such scenarios.

my point is you don’t need to lower anything on a 3090, at least playing games that require high refresh to be playable. Not yet anyway.

12 hours ago, Tetras said:

Do you spend a lot of time waiting around for things to complete in your work apps?

If you do wait a lot, do you know if the bottleneck is CPU, GPU or the RAM?

My uninformed opinion, is that the weak points of your PC are more likely to be the memory capacity and the low resolution monitor, than the CPU/GPU, but I have no idea about your workload and how intensive it is.

yea i understand  i can get away even with 8gb of ram what i do dont need that much of ram except for games and that is why i went with 16gb also i think something is wrong with my eyes i can not diffrentiet 1080 with 1440 or even 4k, it seems my eyes max out at 1080 and cant see beyond also i cant see beyond 30 40 refresh rates and these are the reason i havent upgraded the monitor because i can not see anything beyond my own monitor kinda 

I mean, it's double the performance at 4K. There's plenty of people out there who can mitigate the damage and justify the cost after selling their 3090. Complete overkill for 1080P tbh.

“The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you are emotionally detached from it. I have always viewed it from a safe distance, knowing I don't belong; it doesn't include me, and it never has. no matter how you care to define it, I do not identify with the local group. Planet, species, race, nation, state, religion, party, union, club, association, neighborhood improvement committee; I have no interest in any of it. I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.” ― George Carlin

11 hours ago, dizmo said:

sorry for dispointment it is 60 or 75 htz i cant see beyond 30 40 htz 

8 hours ago, NF-A12x25 said:

my point is you don’t need to lower anything on a 3090, at least playing games that require high refresh to be playable. Not yet anyway.

i am not sure ican understand your points guys my main reason for changing gpu is for my rendering loads specially on catia and cosmol and ... i know games run great on my 3090 and everything is working amazingly but it is 3 years old now kinda getting old while it has lots of to offer i saw all the benchmarks and so on but how much does these benchmarks effect the rendering time in catia for example, i see a lot of diffrence between 3090 and 3090ti onpaper but on doing therender basically i dont see any real improvement on rendering times

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

if we put gaming aside for a moment and only look at rendering capabilities do you know how much diffrence there is between 3090 and 4090? this is the mainproblem, in games thanks to dlss and raytracing and many other technologies 4090 has so much higher frame rates so we cant count on that for comparing in a rendering situation 

46 minutes ago, Amir F. Rad said:

if we put gaming aside for a moment and only look at rendering capabilities do you know how much diffrence there is between 3090 and 4090? this is the mainproblem, in games thanks to dlss and raytracing and many other technologies 4090 has so much higher frame rates so we cant count on that for comparing in a rendering situation 

It depends exactly what you're doing, here's some benchmarks from Puget (I think they were near launch, so they tell you to look at this newer article instead):

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-24gb-content-creation-review-2374/

As I said in my earlier post though, if you're rarely waiting around, then even if you cut the render times in half, that might not be meaningful to you.

58 minutes ago, Amir F. Rad said:

yea i understand  i can get away even with 8gb of ram what i do dont need that much of ram except for games and that is why i went with 16gb also i think something is wrong with my eyes i can not diffrentiet 1080 with 1440 or even 4k, it seems my eyes max out at 1080 and cant see beyond also i cant see beyond 30 40 refresh rates and these are the reason i havent upgraded the monitor because i can not see anything beyond my own monitor kinda 

The main reason I mentioned the monitor is for productivity reasons. An upgrade to 1440p or 4K gets you more work space and that can be very worthwhile if you're struggling to fit everything.

13 minutes ago, Tetras said:

It depends exactly what you're doing, here's some benchmarks from Puget (I think they were near launch, so they tell you to look at this newer article instead):

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-24gb-content-creation-review-2374/

As I said in my earlier post though, if you're rarely waiting around, then even if you cut the render times in half, that might not be meaningful to you.

The main reason I mentioned the monitor is for productivity reasons. An upgrade to 1440p or 4K gets you more work space and that can be very worthwhile if you're struggling to fit everything.

these benchmarks are more accurate based on what i saw on my renderings with 3090 and 3090 ti i think these are more or less correct, and it just did put something in my head, i can go with two 3090 instead of one 4090 and gonna have double the vram, more cores and hopefully more power and much cheaper, yes i understood what you meanth, i dont have any problem with desktop workspace and would even use a crt monitor and still wont be able to know the diffrences i lack the eyes resolution needed to be able to diffrentiate the diffrences i think, maybe 🙂

also i can buy another 3090 for less than 500$ or even less rather than what ever is the 4090 price these days 

36 minutes ago, Amir F. Rad said:

these benchmarks are more accurate based on what i saw on my renderings with 3090 and 3090 ti i think these are more or less correct, and it just did put something in my head, i can go with two 3090 instead of one 4090 and gonna have double the vram, more cores and hopefully more power and much cheaper, yes i understood what you meanth, i dont have any problem with desktop workspace and would even use a crt monitor and still wont be able to know the diffrences i lack the eyes resolution needed to be able to diffrentiate the diffrences i think, maybe 🙂

also i can buy another 3090 for less than 500$ or even less rather than what ever is the 4090 price these days 

I'd keep in mind that not all applications will support 2x GPU, or if they do, they may have inconsistent results. You'll also have much higher power consumption.

15 minutes ago, Tetras said:

I'd keep in mind that not all applications will support 2x GPU, or if they do, they may have inconsistent results. You'll also have much higher power consumption.

i know what i do, i am gonna throw my pc out of the window, then i am gonna have a new problem but the old problem not gonna exist anymore, i am confused why in pc everything must be so complicated 

6 hours ago, Amir F. Rad said:

i cant see beyond 30 40 htz 

everyone can, unless they have a severe degenerative eye disease lol. It doesn’t make your game look noticeably smoother past 120-165 but it does decrease reaction time by a lot.

as for your rendering issue maybe replacing it with a 4090 will decrease render times but not by a huge amount, 3090 is already very fast at rendering most things