Issues with Gigabyte RTX 3070Ti GAMING OC and Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2 - No POST

Go to solution Solved by withoutEnd,

Update to the PC: The system works fine. It really was the GPU, we RMA'd it and it turned out to have bad VRAM chips on it(probably shorted out the GPU, idk) but now it's working. In the time waiting for a reply from our seller, we bought an ASUS TUF 3070ti because the system had to work basically immediately for some online events and the shop already returned the money for the Gigabyte card so we thought that we won't get it back. About a week later after the PC had to be ready for streaming, we got the Gigabyte card back and now it works flawless. Sadly, the PC threw up some weird BSODs but that just seems to be to the fact that this installation is just cluttered up with BS, so we're going to reinstall it in the new year.

Thanks to all your help and I will close the topic.

I wish you already Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

We (Me and my colleagues) have had quite a lot of issues with one streaming PC we use for our business. We've had originally two identical systems:

• Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Gigabyte Aeris DDR4-3000 CL16 2x8GB
  • MSI B450-A Pro
  • KFA2 RTX 3070Ti SG
  • Crucial P2 500GB
  • be quiet! Pure Power 12M 750W
  • be quiet! Dark Rock Slim

A few months ago, one of the PCs spontanously wouldn't post at all which is very bad when this happens in front of the customer that paid good money for recording and streaming of their order. Luckily, we mostly carry both of them to the site, so we can replace one if it's not working.

After that job was done, I've got the PC to see, what's wrong with it and we've known from the very beginning, that the GPU is broken (it won't even work in the second machine and the GPU holder never did a great job in these systems), so I've ordered a Gigabyte RTX 3070Ti GAMING OC as an replacement, as well as an Ryzen 7 5700X (the 5600X wouldn't recognize the known good GPU from the second PC).

After a few days, both parts came and I've began replacing the CPU and the GPU. I've tried powering it up and: NOTHING, Error LED ended on GPU. Then I popped in the old GPU and it partially worked (sometimes it crashes but hey, I can see the Desktop and FurMark also ran pretty reliable again (except sometimes it hard-crashed and wouldn't power up for 30 minutes).

Because we've not replaced the motherboard yet, my colleague searched for one and came up with the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, so we've ordered it. We put it in and: NOTHING, Error LED ended on GPU or RAM, so I've googled, if there are compatibility issues with the Gigabyte GPU and the MSI Motherboard and sure enough, there are forum entries that say that some MSI boards don't like Gigabyte GPUs.

We've returned that motherboard last week and bought the Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2. I threw it in today and: NOTHING, now the old GPU isn't working on it anymore as well. Lucky Me, I have a small PC buzzer speaker laying on my desk, so I plugged it in and: 1 "long" (like POST OK) and 3 very short beeps and nothing more. Gigabyte suggests that the RAM is the issue, but this isn't true, we've already tested it in another known good computer, but sometimes it also means that there are issues with the GPU, so I grabbed a very old Gigabyte GT 630, put it in and: We've got an image!!!

First thing I did was to set the PCIe slot to Gen3 mode and: nope, updating bios: It won't recognize the file I downloaded from Gigabytes website for that board as a valid firmware (I unzipped it, renamed it to gigabyte.bin, etc, etc etc.). At least, the old KFA2 GPU works now in Gen3 mode, but that Gigabyte 3070Ti seems to be broken out of the box. One of my guesses was also that the PSU is broken (11.9V on 12V, 3.25V on 3.3V, 5.06V on 5V) but my colleague said that it won't be the issue, considering the fact that these machines aren't even 3 years old. The problem with that Gigabyte GPU is that our seller won't take it back as it's more than 3 months in our property.

The probability one gpu is doa is low, but that 2 gpus are doa is zero (sorry if I got your story wrong). I believe you're doing something wrong.

"the 5600X wouldn't recognize the known good GPU from the second PC so we bought a 5700X" this is nonsense.

Are your motherboards bios updated ?

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

1 hour ago, withoutEnd said:

considering the fact that these machines aren't even 3 years old. The problem with that Gigabyte GPU is that our seller won't take it back as it's more than 3 months in our property.

Gigabyte 30 series gpu..

Spoiler

Gigabyte RTX 30/40 PCBs are cracking, the company rejects RMA claims - VideoCardz.com

See any of these cracks on the PCB in that same spot?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

10 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

See any of these cracks on the PCB in that same spot?

11 hours ago, leclod said:

The probability one gpu is doa is low, but that 2 gpus are doa is zero (sorry if I got your story wrong). I believe you're doing something wrong.

"the 5600X wouldn't recognize the known good GPU from the second PC so we bought a 5700X" this is nonsense.

Are your motherboards bios updated ?

The KFA2 GPU is the original one we bought 3~4 years ago, which got bent quite heavily because these PCs get moved very frequently. I forgot to mention that one of my colleagues accidentally dropped the 5600X when they built the PCs a few years ago, where I weren't there yet. That one had bent pins so they RMA'd it and the seller just tried to unbend the Pins and while it worked, everything was fine but sometimes it wouldn't even post with some old GPU we habe laying around. The old board has the newest firmware on it while the new Gigabyte one refuses any of the BIOS files I throw at it, saying that these are unvalid. I checked multiple times, if it's the correct file and it is. I guess that it wants the file to have a specific name but as gigabyte.bin it's still unvalid.

@IkeaGnomeIf the Gigabyte RTX 3070Ti has some bends and cracks I can check it in a few hours when I'm at the office.

2 hours ago, withoutEnd said:

I just checked the card and there are no bends or cracks visible.

it doesn't realy need to be visible.. transporting pc's with heavy GPU's mounted can be enough.. 

one hard shake.. or something causing the pcb's to twist will rip pads off underneath the core. 

• 1 month later...

Update to the PC: The system works fine. It really was the GPU, we RMA'd it and it turned out to have bad VRAM chips on it(probably shorted out the GPU, idk) but now it's working. In the time waiting for a reply from our seller, we bought an ASUS TUF 3070ti because the system had to work basically immediately for some online events and the shop already returned the money for the Gigabyte card so we thought that we won't get it back. About a week later after the PC had to be ready for streaming, we got the Gigabyte card back and now it works flawless. Sadly, the PC threw up some weird BSODs but that just seems to be to the fact that this installation is just cluttered up with BS, so we're going to reinstall it in the new year.

Thanks to all your help and I will close the topic.

I wish you already Merry Christmas and a happy new year.