Meshify 2 rad compatibility and benefits

Jupsik

Since winter is coming, I figured I would port my custom loop from my meshify 2 compact into a meshify 2.

Current build was running a 240mm 30mm thick rad and a 280 45mm thick rad. Was going to add another 360mm (30mm thick) with the meshify 2. 

Here is the question: I was gonna put the 240mm into the bottom of the case as intake, however how much benefit is there actually to it? The background is that I started the build yesterday with 0 loop planning and found out that in order to have the 240mm at the bottom, i'd have to do some janky shit to make it look nice, including getting new fittings for a lower profile. The entire reason i'm moving to a meshify 2 is that i wouldn't have wierd shit in the build. So what do you guys think, power through it and add the 240mm or make due with a 280mm thick and a 360mm rad. 

For context, im cooling a 5800x and 1080ti (i don't play any new games :))

2 rads already, that size, for a 5800x and 1080ti is pretty extreme, you should have PLENTY of cooling. But if you want to really go to the extreme with some really heavy overclocking or want super low temps while overclocking quite a bit, you could go ahead. It wouldnt do a whole lot and seems a lot of work, you will eventually run into less returns for how much you put in. And while you might have some extreme water cooling potential, it'll just be the water thats being cooled if the heatplate cant physically transfer heat fast enough to keep up with the water. In short, youll get less returns on cooling the more rads you add as the limiting factor slowly becomes the heat plate and thermal paste and not the water.

If you do decide to do this, enjoy and see it as more of a project to see what you can possibly do than a performance upgrade, in future id also upgrade your heatplate and cpu block to keep up with the water's cooling. And what thermal paste do you have? Most thermal pastes performance is extremely similar but if it becomes your major limiting factor something very premium might be worth your while. Also are you planning to upgrade cpu/gpu at all? If not then you probably wont see a change in performance with the extra rad as you have plenty adequate cooling already!

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Thanks, that's very helpful feedback. The entire thing is a experiment just for fun and I also don't plan to overclock anything.  I guess i'll leave the 240mm rad out for now and see if i get the urge to add it back in in the future. I'll just add some 140mm fans at the bottom, so that the existing rads get more fresh air :D. 

On the rest of it, at least the CPU block should be quite good (its an EK vector something), the GPU block is a some chinese firm one, cause it was the only one i could source for the 1080ti (its an asus strix card). That said, thermal paste should be updated indeed, it's been there for around 2 years now. 

On upgrading stuff, I should upgrade the gpu at some stage, but in order to justify this, I kinda need to also have time to use the pc or play any new games at all. Otherwise it's just a "i can wait for the new gen stuff to arrive game". Currently I don't really do either of those things and the main reason I open my pc is to reply to personal e-mails over the weekend and play some destiny 2 with friends 1-2 times a week for like 1-2 hours at a time. 

1 hour ago, Jupsik said:

Thanks, that's very helpful feedback. The entire thing is a experiment just for fun and I also don't plan to overclock anything.  I guess i'll leave the 240mm rad out for now and see if i get the urge to add it back in in the future. I'll just add some 140mm fans at the bottom, so that the existing rads get more fresh air :D. 

On the rest of it, at least the CPU block should be quite good (its an EK vector something), the GPU block is a some chinese firm one, cause it was the only one i could source for the 1080ti (its an asus strix card). That said, thermal paste should be updated indeed, it's been there for around 2 years now. 

On upgrading stuff, I should upgrade the gpu at some stage, but in order to justify this, I kinda need to also have time to use the pc or play any new games at all. Otherwise it's just a "i can wait for the new gen stuff to arrive game". Currently I don't really do either of those things and the main reason I open my pc is to reply to personal e-mails over the weekend and play some destiny 2 with friends 1-2 times a week for like 1-2 hours at a time. 

Yeah, as i said, could be a fun project to tinker at but thats what id consider it as instead of a high performance enhancement.

For example im running a 7800X3D and a 7800xt and im just running an air cooler and currently 2 intakes (1x120mm & 1x140mm) and 1 exhaust fan (120mm) in a big case (i plan on adding more but funds are running a bit dry rn) but im rarely hitting over 70C gaming  on both cpu and gpu, so 2 water cooling units are loads!

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

1 hour ago, TatamiMatt said:

Yeah, as i said, could be a fun project to tinker at but thats what id consider it as instead of a high performance enhancement.

For example im running a 7800X3D and a 7800xt and im just running an air cooler and currently 2 intakes (1x120mm & 1x140mm) and 1 exhaust fan (120mm) in a big case (i plan on adding more but funds are running a bit dry rn) but im rarely hitting over 70C gaming  on both cpu and gpu, so 2 water cooling units are loads!

Yeah i feel the funds part, house loan payments have increased by almost 100% and a fresh father (so gotta save up for daughters pc obviously). 

with out saying what your temps were im guessing fine it will be lower but cost vs how much lower...

1080 was a good ocer but you said you dont oc so... 🤷‍♂️

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2023 at 5:57 AM, thrasher_565 said:

with out saying what your temps were im guessing fine it will be lower but cost vs how much lower...

1080 was a good ocer but you said you dont oc so... 🤷‍♂️

:D, its more of a I wanted to fiddle with shit kind of a deal, which I consider worth it.

also for anyone who reads this later and tries to find answers to the questions i had:

1. In the Meshify 2, a 280mm EK radiator (45mm thick) will fit in the bottom of the Meshify 2, with a Rm850x psu, with no room to spare. The rad needs to be on the bottom, with fans in pull. While the radiator is currently not yet added to the loop (waiting on some fittings to change the location of the drain port), with 2 140mm noctua f12 fans, there does not seem to be any measurable difference in air flow with or without the radiator added for the rest of the case. 

1.1. My fan setup is currently such that normally the case is under a slight positive pressure, but if water goes above 30c, the case will gradually change to a slightly negative pressure to help with intake from the bottom fans. 

2. Before buying the Meshify 2, I should have gone with a O11. I didn't bother to measure my runs exactly and i have gotten lucky so so many times with stuff fitting when they shouldnt have.