ASRock B450 Pro no post with 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX modules

Go to solution Solved by thomy2000,

I panicked too early. The modules weren't fully seated. Somehow I managed to install the old modules correctly when trying to troubleshoot the problem so I didn't even consider that could be a problem with the new ones. Sorry for the post and thanks for the help anyway (it made me retry the installation as I couldn't believe the modules wouldn't work from what I read).

For future reference to other PC building amateurs like me 😛, you need to press quite hard on the modules. I know people tell you that all the time, but it's still harder than you'd imagine. Even when you hear one click, you can't be sure. Press the module straight down and make sure you either hear a very loud click or two clicks. Also, the sockets with only one moveable end are a bit annoying as my modules didn't go in straight at first.

I built a PC last year with an ASRock B450 Pro4 motherboard and 2x8GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX modules. It works fine but I wanted to upgrade to 64GB of RAM for development (VMs and compilation).

I bought 2x32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz modules but when I install them, the PC keeps restarting itself.

After some basic troubleshooting I can confirm it's not because of the old XMP profiles that are still loaded. I cleared the UEFI by shorting the CMOS jumper and even removed the CMOS battery to be extra sure.

I can also confirm I didn't break anything as I installed the old modules again and the PC works fine.

I'm not new to PC building and I'm a fairly advanced PC user so feel free to give technical instructions or ask technical questions for extra troubleshooting if needed.

My 2 questions would be:

- Could it be that the ASRock B450 Pro4 doesn't work with 32GB modules? The specifications say it should be able to handle 128GB of system memory, and with 4 slots, that should mean 32GB per slot. In the manual that comes with the motherboard, it does say that only 64GB of system memory is supported so I don't know what to believe. AMD's website doesn't have information about the maximum amount of memory for the B450 chipset (if the chipset even plays a role in this).

- If it doesn't support 2x32GB modules, would it support 4x16GB 2667MHz modules? I could really use the 64GB of memory...

This is my second post here so I hope I did everything correctly...

Thanks in advance for the help forum people 🙂

13 minutes ago, thomy2000 said:

I built a PC last year with an ASRock B450 Pro4 motherboard and 2x8GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX modules. It works fine but I wanted to upgrade to 64GB of RAM for development (VMs and compilation).

I bought 2x32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz modules but when I install them, the PC keeps restarting itself.

After some basic troubleshooting I can confirm it's not because of the old XMP profiles that are still loaded. I cleared the UEFI by shorting the CMOS jumper and even removed the CMOS battery to be extra sure.

I can also confirm I didn't break anything as I installed the old modules again and the PC works fine.

I'm not new to PC building and I'm a fairly advanced PC user so feel free to give technical instructions or ask technical questions for extra troubleshooting if needed.

My 2 questions would be:

- Could it be that the ASRock B450 Pro4 doesn't work with 32GB modules? The specifications say it should be able to handle 128GB of system memory, and with 4 slots, that should mean 32GB per slot. In the manual that comes with the motherboard, it does say that only 64GB of system memory is supported so I don't know what to believe. AMD's website doesn't have information about the maximum amount of memory for the B450 chipset (if the chipset even plays a role in this).

- If it doesn't support 2x32GB modules, would it support 4x16GB 2667MHz modules? I could really use the 64GB of memory...

This is my second post here so I hope I did everything correctly...

Thanks in advance for the help forum people 🙂

What BIOS revision are you using? Ryzen has had difficulties with LPX memory for a long time on AM4, would suggest looking on the QVL to see what runs no problem and go from there. I have the same board on v4.20 and it struggles to go above 2933 on a 2x8 kit.

What exact Ryzen CPU do you use?

There are 32GB stick on the QVL of the motherboard so 32GB should not be the problem. The problem is probably the MIC on the sticks.

What's the exact partnumber and version number of the 2x32GB Corsair RAM?

14 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

What BIOS revision are you using? Ryzen has had difficulties with LPX memory for a long time on AM4, would suggest looking on the QVL to see what runs no problem and go from there. I have the same board on v4.20 and it struggles to go above 2933 on a 2x8 kit.

I don't know the BIOS version and currently my PC is disassembled so I can't check. I also would like to limit the amount of times I assemble and disassemble it to reduce the risk of breaking something. If the BIOS version is really important I will put it back together.

I don't really understand the QVL as the memory it lists is often part of a kit. Does the 'size' mean the size of the module or the total size, as the maximum 'size' is 32GB in the QVL for the Matisse series?

Mine always ran fine with 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX modules clocked at 3000MHz, so it should be fine...

30 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

What exact Ryzen CPU do you use?

There are 32GB stick on the QVL of the motherboard so 32GB should not be the problem. The problem is probably the MIC on the sticks.

What's the exact partnumber and version number of the 2x32GB Corsair RAM?

The CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600.

The part number for the new memory is CMK64GX4M2E3200C16 and the version is v5.42. Since I can't boot with them, it's hard to tell what version they are. The QVL lists Corsair modules that start with CMK64GX4M... They are also 32GB but at 3000MHz, but since they run at the lowest speed anyway when you boot them with a default UEFI, the speed difference shouldn't matter.

Edited by thomy2000
Add version written on RAM module

I panicked too early. The modules weren't fully seated. Somehow I managed to install the old modules correctly when trying to troubleshoot the problem so I didn't even consider that could be a problem with the new ones. Sorry for the post and thanks for the help anyway (it made me retry the installation as I couldn't believe the modules wouldn't work from what I read).

For future reference to other PC building amateurs like me 😛, you need to press quite hard on the modules. I know people tell you that all the time, but it's still harder than you'd imagine. Even when you hear one click, you can't be sure. Press the module straight down and make sure you either hear a very loud click or two clicks. Also, the sockets with only one moveable end are a bit annoying as my modules didn't go in straight at first.

23 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

I've never seen any E3200C16 version run or run stable with Ryzen.

What do the letters D, E, A in front of the speed stand for? I can't really find differences in their specs.

1 hour ago, thomy2000 said:

What do the letters D, E, A in front of the speed stand for? I can't really find differences in their specs.

From what I know, it lets you know what type of die it is (for vengeance kits afaik) A, B, E, D, and Z are the ones I've seen on vengeance kits.