Power supply moding

WlePAs

Hey, just bought a used be quiet unit for cheap and it had missing cpu eps cables, looked it up on internet how much would it cost to get a cable, it was 50euros shipping included for just 1 cable, so i was thinking of using one of pcie 8pin connector cables and rewiring it to cpu, would it even work, will there be enough power for cpu.

No no no no.

Do not. The pinout is always different. Also they are physically different.

What bequiet? Chances are ebay, amazon,... has a cheap bundle

The connectors are keyed differently, but you could pull out the wires and put them into an EPS (cpu 8 pin) keeping in mind they're reversed - 12v is on top row on one connector and  on bottom on the other (relative to that retention clip) also note pci-e uses only 3 12v wires while eps uses 4 12v wires and 4 gnd wires.

Power supply has no idea what's at the end of the cables, it doesn't know if it's a video card or a cpu, it just supplies 12v, and doesn't supply more on one connector compared to others, it will give as much as a component demands through each 12v wire (of course, there's some protections and some power supplies are multi-rail but we're going off topic)

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The connectors are keyed differently, but you could pull out the wires and put them into an EPS (cpu 8 pin) keeping in mind they're reversed - 12v is on top row on one connector and  on bottom on the other (relative to that retention clip) also note pci-e uses only 3 12v wires while eps uses 4 12v wires and 4 gnd wires.

Power supply has no idea what's at the end of the cables, it doesn't know if it's a video card or a cpu, it just supplies 12v, and doesn't supply more on one connector compared to others, it will give as much as a component demands through each 12v wire (of course, there's some protections and some power supplies are multi-rail but we're going off topic)

Can i just connect 1 gnd wire to another, like how there is 6+2pin on pcie, will it have an effect on anything?

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No no no no.

Do not. The pinout is always different. Also they are physically different.

What bequiet? Chances are ebay, amazon,... has a cheap bundle

The thing is amazon does not deliver to my country, and on ebay as i said it was 50 euros which is basically the same as i paid for the whole power supply because the cable was missing, that's why i am thinking of repining it.

14 minutes ago, WlePAs said:

Hey, just bought a used be quiet unit for cheap and it had missing cpu eps cables, looked it up on internet how much would it cost to get a cable, it was 50euros shipping included for just 1 cable, so i was thinking of using one of pcie 8pin connector cables and rewiring it to cpu, would it even work, will there be enough power for cpu.

Noooooooooooooooo!

While it wouldn't be too much of a job to rewire or botch something together, I wouldn't even consider it.

You've got the safety of yourself and your PC.

You just need to look at GNs video for what a tiny fault on a riser cable can do. These things don't just go fizz-bang, sometimes its proper flames.

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

1 minute ago, WlePAs said:
11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The thing is amazon does not deliver to my country, and on ebay as i said it was 50 euros which is basically the same as i paid for the whole power supply because the cable was missing

try contacting bequiet, maybe they could send you a cable for cheap. what you want to do could be done, but as others have said, it's not a good idea. if anything, finding another cheap and/or used psu would be a better idea imo.

1 minute ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Noooooooooooooooo!

While it wouldn't be too much of a job to rewire or botch something together, I wouldn't even consider it.

You've got the safety of yourself and your PC.

You just need to look at GNs video for what a tiny fault on a riser cable can do. These things don't just go fizz-bang, sometimes its proper flames.

I know but also you have to be an idiot to wire it badly, i would solder it or i would just take out the pins and repin it. I was just asking if this was possible and would it work.

24 minutes ago, WlePAs said:

Common sense tells me to tell you not to do it, because I have no idea how skillfull you are with what you plan to do & what kind of equipments you have to work with.

But it's doable, yeah.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

7 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Common sense tells me to tell you not to do it, because I have no idea how skillfull you are with what you plan to do & what kind of equipments you have to work with.

But it's doable, yeah.

Well skills i definitely have, not the first time i've done something sketchy with electricity in my life. This i would say would no be that sketchy if done right. On my old pc i used 2 sata connectors to power my gpu and it worked flawlessly until i bought a new pc this was a long time ago when gtx 660 was released.

1 minute ago, WlePAs said:

Well skills i definitely have, not the first time i've done something sketchy with electricity in my life. This i would say would no be that sketchy if done right.

Well, okay then.

Not like we can ever stop someone over the internet 😅

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

Well, okay then.

Not like we can ever stop someone over the internet 😅

Well now the question i have is, can i use 1gnd and split it up to 2 pins because pcie only has 3 gnd pins, would that be okay or i need to take another ground from other pcie connector 😄

As the saying goes... play with fire...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

35 minutes ago, WlePAs said:

Well now the question i have is, can i use 1gnd and split it up to 2 pins because pcie only has 3 gnd pins, would that be okay or i need to take another ground from other pcie connector 😄

Get a cpu cable extension, snip the extension end off. Get the gpu cable, snip the psu end off. Wire things up correctly and solder + crimp film them.

That way you have 2 CORRECT ends and just need to make sure the cable is correct.