A question on font colors.

Edward78

Why are they gray now, they should be black on light mode & white on dark. The OSes were so much easier to read when they were not gray.

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

16 minutes ago, Edward78 said:

Why are they gray now, they should be black on light mode & white on dark. The OSes were so much easier to read when they were not gray.

On mobile mine are white on black/dark grey. 

Don't even get me started on Sheets dark mode and having fill color.

Screenshot_20231010_122252_Settings.jpg

1 hour ago, BiotechBen said:

On mobile mine are white on black/dark grey. 

Don't even get me started on Sheets dark mode and having fill color.

Screenshot_20231010_122252_Settings.jpg

Can I make all the fonts white?

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

You can change them sometimes but I agree, black and white text is way easier to read.

9 hours ago, BushMasterJM said:

You can change them sometimes but I agree, black and white text is way easier to read.

Why did they ever change it? Back in the 00s and earlier that is how it was? It really sucks with vision issues.

5 hours ago, Edward78 said:

Why did they ever change it? Back in the 00s and earlier that is how it was? It really sucks with vision issues.

To make things look sleek, idk. Some crack head software engineer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 6:22 AM, BushMasterJM said:

personally i prefer neon green on pitch black... could do this at least until Vista, but nowadays its just "no customization for you!" ._.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

personally i prefer neon green on pitch black... could do this at least until Vista, but nowadays its just "no customization for you!" ._.

Haven't done it myself, but you should be able to do that on Windows, even today:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-color-contrast-in-windows-fedc744c-90ac-69df-aed5-c8a90125e696

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Designers will tell you dark gray text on a slightly off-white background looks better than black on white. I assume the same logic was used when flipping to dark mode.

I have to believe half of it is designers trying to justify their job, when they turn out minimal designs that don't look like much, saying to use #2f3640 text on a #f5f6fa background (I just picked a random dark and light color from a pallet site), will give them more cred than #000 on #fff.

mock up: https://jsfiddle.net/kgv7mxc6/2/

There is an argument that avoiding a harsh white is easier on the eyes, but it seems like that could be left up to the browser settings, for people who have issues with that.