Need help figuring out what happened to pc

So my friend got a pc for Christmas 2 years ago from Veno Scorp and he booted it up today to see “drive not detected” which he asked me about so I said it was most likely his hard drive in either it had died or wasn’t getting a stable connection. Walked him through checking his drive and checking a couple other things too just in case since he had moved the pc (plugged into gpu, ram seated and that his drive was definitely not spinning up.) everything seemed to be pointing to the drive until he turned it off and it wouldn’t go back on again. Then screen was going on and off periodically until it turned on and seemed fairly stable but still couldn’t find the drive. Then it just died. He has a 500w psu from veno scorp and I doubt his i5 2400 and gt 710 are going to be sucking back that much in any realm of possibility. So I was wondering is there anything we can do to find out if it is the psu and if so how to fix it? He can buy another but doesn’t really want to if not needed? Any more info you need just ask tho I might take a min to respond since at work

When a PC sits unused for a lenghty period of time, a few things can happen to render it unresponsive. Depending on the condition it was stored, it may have problems with dust or corrosion among other things.

One easy test you an do it try to unplug the power cord from the wall and flip the PSU power switch many times on and off to try to clear dust and corrosion from that switch. Please do not try this while plugged because you can fry some components. You can also do the same with the computer's power button. When I say many times, this can be 50 to 100 times 🙂

Try plugging the computer and try to power it on. If it still doesn't boot, the computer will need to be checked more closely by someone who has some experience.

As for the HDD not spinning, you can try plugging it into another power cable (his PSU probably has more than one SATA power cable) and see if it spins.

Good luck !