LTT Labs! We need your testing! Apparently, iPhone 15 users shouldn't buy non-Apple USB-C cables.

IamAllan

A friend sent this, and I thought LTT with their cable tester and labs, would be best to look into it.

APPARENTLY an Apple store or two in CHINA are saying iPhone 15 have had melting USB C ports, due to using non-Apple USB C cables.

Original Chinese Article via Google Translate | Unilad's English report

I'm an Android guy, and can't afford to buy an iPhone just to test this. 

Can the Labs test this out?

2 minutes ago, IamAllan said:

APPARENTLY an Apple store or two in CHINA are saying iPhone 15 have had melting USB C ports, due to using non-Apple USB C cables.

That sounds like a problem for Apple to fix. Although I don't put it past Apple to just put stuff like this out there to create FUD so they can sell their own overpriced cables.

In fairness when Google switched to USB-C on their devices (the better part of a decade ago...) there were issues with cheap "off-brand" cables, an engineer at Google was maintaining a Google Sheet of which ones met spec and which ones were dangerous. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Oh boy, this is gonna be fun to watch

Either Apple will flourish for "Apple exclusive USB-C cable" sales, or will be burned (in stock market valuation)

I really can't wait to see LABS results if they really do test on it

But they might need to take time to make sure their testing result is reliable to prevent last month drama

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

1 hour ago, IamAllan said:

using non-Apple USB C cables

read: "using absolute hot garbage tier cables.. but we're too nice to say it that way"

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

read: "using absolute hot garbage tier cables.. but we're too nice to say it that way"

🙄

Just now, IamAllan said:

🙄

that's what all manufacturers say if some sheit tier cables are involved: "there's issues with ports melting, but all of them have been with cables that arent ours"

they could say "some people bought dollarstore cables to charge their 1000 dollar phone, and the dollarstore cable melted" but that's too "blame the user" even for apple.

I was pondering this last night, and I bet that it's Apple that have changed the connector they buy, so that if a non-Apple USB C cord is used, it somehow shorts a couple pins.

How else could a cable that works perfectly fine on Android, iPad, and in PC's ... cause issues in a brand new phone?

On 9/28/2023 at 8:46 PM, IamAllan said:

A friend sent this, and I thought LTT with their cable tester and labs, would be best to look into it.

I've read the 2 articles you linked.

None of them mentioned customers reporting a burn.

It's articles mentioning that some Apple Stores in China has issued warning about using Type-C cable bundled with Android devices with iPhone  15

From https://www.unilad.com/technology/news/apple-iphone-15-android-usbc-charger-overheating-828827-20230926

image.png.b1b3cc4a5bc15b9cd6d753cda69be26d.png

--------

image.png.ccf800e12c93314c94320cd8c8c195dc.png

From https://phone-cnmo-com.translate.goog/news/760876.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

image.png.5fb8518b3a1eb616d6eca32b36167f6f.png

And yes, I used google translate on the Mandarin text in the pictures. It's a warning

Also. If you used shit tier cable, it is possible to burn anything with high enough wattage draw.
Since shit cables build quality can be really concerning.

I actually have a cheap 220v extension that says up to 15A, the cables looks the same as a good real 1mm²-1.5mm² on the outside, but inside the insulation the strands thickness & amount is not even decent enough to be called a 0.75mm². Advertised as having ground cable, but there's only 2 inside the cord.

Me : They're trying to sell Apple cables.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.