My YouTuber merch is not the best.. :(

James

Has anyone else noticed that the KVM's are rebranded rextron products? https://www.rextron.com/product-4-Ports-Dual-Monitor-8K-DisplayPort-KVM-Switch-with-USB-3-2-Gen-1,-Hotkey-Control-PAAG-E3124B.html

Linus made it seem like Wendel had developed these himself.

We use those rextron kvm switches at work. And they have the same capabilities.

even the hotswitch with scroll lock+scroll lock+1-4

I don't see the difference between the two.

Tested HDCP, G-sync. 1440p/165hz, HDR. Works the same.

Even the box it comes in is from rextron. Uses same naming/branding "8K Dual Monitor DisplayPort 1.4 KVM Switch with USB 3.2 Gen 1" Same photo on the white box as in their PDF - Link

This is amazing. I'd like to propose a new product ... USB over network switch. So I can plug a bunch of USB devices and distribute them to different PCs over the network.

Hey @James, the sound in the video (YT) is really wierd when Linus unboxes. Linus voice has a ”metallic” clang to it. 

Just a heads up if you’ve not noticed it yourselves. 

19 hours ago, kuro68k said:

Your storage device is not going to like being switched between computers randomly...

Right and they said in the video that Level1Techs suggested to not do that.

7 hours ago, dobbytheferret said:

Has anyone else noticed that the KVM's are rebranded rextron products? https://www.rextron.com/product-4-Ports-Dual-Monitor-8K-DisplayPort-KVM-Switch-with-USB-3-2-Gen-1,-Hotkey-Control-PAAG-E3124B.html

Linus made it seem like Wendel had developed these himself.

We use those rextron kvm switches at work. And they have the same capabilities.

even the hotswitch with scroll lock+scroll lock+1-4

I don't see the difference between the two.

Tested HDCP, G-sync. 1440p/165hz, HDR. Works the same.

Even the box it comes in is from rextron. Uses same naming/branding "8K Dual Monitor DisplayPort 1.4 KVM Switch with USB 3.2 Gen 1" Same photo on the white box as in their PDF - Link

Might be the taiwanese company he is collaborating with like he said in the video

I hope Wendell can scale up to a full multi-user, multi-device KVM-over-IP solution. We have two at work, and one of them doesn't properly handle touchscreens and mice at the same time. (Touchscreens require "absolute" positioning through their firmware, which causes mice to track extremely slowly. Plus the cursor gets "stuck" to the edges of the display because the mouse position coordinates go far beyond the pixels on the screen. It's been years and they've only been able to mostly fix it for us.) We'd love to have one that actually works properly.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

12 hours ago, aminit said:

Might be the taiwanese company he is collaborating with like he said in the video

Quite obviously, this. The only other option would be that Wendell extremely oversold his contribution to these KVMs which would be a hard disappoint.

Edit: Igor seems to know more - it is a Rextron KVM but the special sauce is in the firmware, which differentiates Wendells KVMs

If you now throw these product numbers into a search engine of your choice, you will relatively quickly find the website of Rextron, who also advertise the product, but do not offer it for sale to normal end customers. The reason for this is that Rextron is the OEM for the product, taking care of most of the manufacturing and certifications. Level1Techs then fine-tunes the product with special firmware and takes over the distribution for normal end customers in the form of the L1KVM. Especially for better device compatibility, Level1Techs have put a lot of energy and brainpower into this special firmware, which the Rextron version does not have.

This lines up with what Wendell said during his segment of the video.

Sure wish this supported EDID emulation or some other magic sauce that keeps the PCs thinking the monitors are connected even if they're currently connected to another device but apparently that wouldn't play well with freesync/gsync so it doesn't 😕

Either way, personally I'd recommend checking whether your monitors don't support DDC/CI commands for switching between ports (not all monitors properly support this open standard) as then you could just use that to switch video between PCs programmatically and handle USB device switching with a much cheaper USB switch (or a cheaper KVM that you choose to only connect USB devices to). This even allows you to choose to only switch displays individually if you want to do something on both PCs and only switch mouse/keyboard between them when needed, see this project

https://github.com/haimgel/display-switch or alternatives such as ddcutil, if you're interested.

How is this entire video not just an ad for a single product? It does't review the product and compare it to specific competitors, the video shows you where to buy said product, and there's an interview with the seller. 

This video is just an ad.