Is my RTX 4070 defective?

Hello,

I bought a new Nvidia RTX 4070 (MSI VENTUS 3X OC 12GB DDR6X) from Best Buy last week and it's mostly been fine, but I've noticed strange artifacts that happen very occasionally. For the most part, everything is fine but sometimes when watching YouTube videos, I'll see a random black line kind of flash and go away very suddenly and that's it. Then I won't notice it. I probably only see an artifact like once a day. I thought it was just YouTube videos doing it, but I saw the same thing happen but white happen while I was playing Valorant.

It's definitely not a big issue, but I just fear that something is wonky with this card. The only other issue I've encountered that I don't think is a problem with the card itself is that Spider-Man Remastered doesn't run as great as I would have thought it would. I have the 4070 with an i9 10900k and 16 gb of DDR4 ram. I'm trying to play on Ultra with Ray Tracing on "high" instead of "very high" and the game runs okay, but I get a lot of frame drops, usually around the 63fps zone and it gets noticeable sometimes. I figured the game would be flawless with a 4070. Again, this probably isn't an issue with the card.

I'm mostly concerned about the random but not frequent artifacts. I forgot to uninstall my last GPU's drivers when I installed the 4070, but I ran DDU in safe mode and uninstalled the last drivers, and installed the new ones after the fact. I bought a new display cable. I still seem to randomly get them.

The only thing left I can think to do is try a different PSU cable. My PSU is modular and I'm using the 8-pin connect that has a second 8-pin connecter attached to the same cable. Do note that my GPU only requires a single 8-pin connection and not the bigger one the founder edition card uses, so I'm not doing the thing where I'm using a single PSU cable to plug into both female connectors of the adapter cable. Lastly, I could try DDU one more time in hopes it's a driver issue somehow.

Does anyone have any advice? I have until 09/26 to return my card, I'm wondering if I shouldn't risk it and just exchange my card with a new one while I still have time. Or if I should run DDU and assume this is likely a driver issue still.

1 hour ago, tomatensaftliebhaber027 said:

Just return it. If that doesn't help, you're still smarter than before and you know that it has to do with something different.

I think you're right. If I return and exchange it and the problem persists, then maybe it's the drivers. Hopefully not anything worse haha

Ideas :

Did you check the temps via HWinfo64 (for example) at full load ? Vram temp too high ?

You could reseat carefully the card.

Are you at stock settings ? what are frequency and voltage at full load ?

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

Artifacts?

Send it back.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

I just exchanged the card since it's better safe than sorry. I'll have to wait and see if I notice any artifacts but so far so good!

19 hours ago, CosmicDomino said:

I think you're right. If I return and exchange it and the problem persists, then maybe it's the drivers. Hopefully not anything worse haha

i agree, but keep in mind it could also be monitor/ cables, bios, chipset drivers, etc.

anyhow its a new card and yes you should return it, because that just shouldn't be something you have to deal with on a daily basis  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity