XFX "JET" RX 6800 XT MERC 319 Hotspot is very high. Normal?

Rowlexander

Hey there,

I got the XFX RX 6800 XT 319 merc Card and getting high hot spot values with the standard fancurve (no extra program just regulated by the card?!)

Hot Spot temps got up to 108c°.

Now with custom fancurve with Afterburner i have:

image.png.85bbed8f4d7c6d47b445d1d1f7afd074.png

(Played Cyberpunk for Max Values)

But now it sounds like a Jet, cant even play without headset but have to keep the RPM high so it dont gets to hot. 

Now i am thinking perhaps my CPU cooler is Blocking some of the Backplate so the hot air cant get away.

image.png.eecb94678800ded46408b9d9c4907524.png

(Case is Fractal Design North (Mesh) - 2x 140mm casefans IN and 1x 120mm OUT)

So i am thinking about getting an Vertical Card extension OR an CPU AIO. 
Any suggestions what i can try before i spend money? 

And if, i should spend which way should i go, extension or AIO? 

Thanks for the Help. 

Celsius degrees?

IMPORTANT EDIT: what is the regular non-hot spot core temperature with the stock fan curve? What you showed in the custom curve is pretty par for the course for hotspot temps compared to core temp.

In all seriousness your setup should be fine, you might even make it worse with a vertical mount if you don't have any intake on the side panel or the case is not wide enough.

Now what I DO know for sure is hotspot temps are always higher than average (average is what gets usually reported and what reviewers look at); however 108 might be too high and that could mean uneven mounting pressure on the cooler, or even worse uneven thermal paste application. This is XFX and they're known for having made bad coolers for RX 580 and 5700XT (the "thicc" coolers yes that's how they were called), though I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the QICK/MERC cooler.

I digress. I suggest you check the screw tightness on the mounting points on the GPU core. If any are loose tighten them (wrist tight only is good enough). If problems persist I suggest taking off the cooler and check thermal paste.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, its Celsius Degree. Sorry,

If i understood you right, that are the regular temp values: (after 5 minutes of cyberpunk)

image.png.08a8f79f52d317c01567cd32e6f109f4.png

Okay, vertical mount is no longer an option. I will remove the graphics card in the next few days and attempt to tighten the screws or even apply new thermal paste to it.

I've found that the maximum hot spot temperature for that chip is 110°C, but I reach that temperature within 10-15 minutes with the custom fan curve.

Thanks for the tips. I'll report back to let you know if it was a success or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Rowlexander, Is there any update? I have the same GPU and have the same issue 🙂 I replaced the thermal paste and pads but it's still pretty hot :/

Have you, the OP, tried adjusting the fan curve? I find the default fan curve, while serviceable, usually leads to higher hotspot temps. I usually have a preferred fancurve saved and apply it whenever I swap out drivers, or when the fan curve doesn't seem to stick or be applied whenever I start/restart my PC.

I have the the MERC310 RX 7900 XTX in my sig, and while surfing the net with aircon on and ambient temp around 24C, my GPU temp/hotspot temp are 29C/32C, and while gaming (like DSR) I see the temps go up to 60C+/80+C which is still fine with me. Try setting a fan curve in Adrenalin control panel and see if your temp drop to where you'd feel a little better or more comfortable.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2