Turntable not playing anything - what am I doing wrong?

Leychee
Go to solution Solved by Heats with Nvidia,
4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Does that amp take anything but USB input? I dont think it does

This is right. The RCA jacks on this DAC/AMp are outputs, not inputs. So it won`t work.

So I got an AT-LP120XUSB today, with a Topping DX1 amp. Plugged everything in fine, the amp didn't have a ground screw so I tried grounding it with the chassis. Everything else seems to be working, but no music is coming out when I plug my DT 770 Pros on the amp.

I'm new to this, any tips or suggestions?

Thank you.

GPU 7900XTX CPU 5800X3D RAM 2x16GB DDR4 3600Hz CL18 PSU be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 

Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitors 1440p 165Hz 27" (H) - 1080p 120Hz 24" (V) Audio DT770 Pro/Momentum TW2 

Laptop 2023 MacBook Pro 14" M2Pro Phones iPhone 13 Pro Max/Galaxy S20+/Galaxy S9+ Wearable Apple Watch Series 8

My full rig

Make sure the record player is set to line on the back.
Dotn think that headphone amp has phono-level input.

Also make sure you take of the protective cap of the head of the record player. (as in pic)
If done right there should be a very small needle like thing portruding on the bottom where it will rest on in the vinyl.

Screenshot_133.png

If any of these things you already tried, you should've said it in first post. 😉

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Try ampless on a pair of speakers or whatever you can plug l+r or a l+r to aux cable into and see if anything comes out of it.

You have a record playing AND the needle is making contact correct? You should hear some music from the needle going along the record already to verify that is working.

Also make sure the phone and line switch is in the correct mode for what you are doing. Worst case try usb and see if you can get some audio data to a pc.

Also what chassis did you ground to? The amp has no grounding either so that won't work well and can give issues

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Try ampless on a pair of speakers or whatever you can plug l+r or a l+r to aux cable into and see if anything comes out of it.

You have a record playing AND the needle is making contact correct? You should hear some music from the needle going along the record already to verify that is working.

Also make sure the phone and line switch is in the correct mode for what you are doing. Worst case try usb and see if you can get some audio data to a pc.

Also what chassis did you ground to? The amp has no grounding either so that won't work well and can give issues

Yes, the record is playing and the needle is making contact. I don't think I have any other equipment to test it out though.

Well it's not really grounding, just placed the cable on top of the aluminium chassis of the amp so it made contact. To be fair, I have no clue what I'm doing but I want to learn.

I'll try right now with the USB.

13 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Make sure the record player is set to line on the back.
Dotn think that headphone amp has phono-level input.

Also make sure you take of the protective cap of the head of the record player.
If done right there should be a very small needle like thing portruding on the bottom where it will rest on in the vinyl.

Tried both with line and phono, the protective cap is removed and I triple checked all the cables just to make sure.

Thank you both for your help.

Edit: there is indeed some music when I place the needle and listen closely.

GPU 7900XTX CPU 5800X3D RAM 2x16GB DDR4 3600Hz CL18 PSU be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W 

Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitors 1440p 165Hz 27" (H) - 1080p 120Hz 24" (V) Audio DT770 Pro/Momentum TW2 

Laptop 2023 MacBook Pro 14" M2Pro Phones iPhone 13 Pro Max/Galaxy S20+/Galaxy S9+ Wearable Apple Watch Series 8

My full rig

1 minute ago, Leychee said:

Yes, the record is playing and the needle is making contact. I don't think I have any other equipment to test it out though.

Well it's not really grounding, just placed the cable on top of the aluminium chassis of the amp so it made contact. To be fair, I have no clue what I'm doing but I want to learn.

I'll try right now with the USB.

Tried both with line and phono, the protective cap is removed and I triple checked all the cables just to make sure.

Thank you both for your help.

If you dont even hear sound from the needle directly(might need to put your ear to it) without anything connected but it playing, you either have it on a part with no sound or the needle is broken. (not that likely)

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

If you dont even hear sound from the needle directly(might need to put your ear to it) without anything connected but it playing, you either have it on a part with no sound or the needle is broken. (not that likely)

I do get sound if I listen closely when the needle is placed, which was a relief, honestly. I assume the issue is the amp? Or am I doing something else wrong?

My full rig

Just now, Leychee said:

I do get sound if I listen closely when the needle is placed, which was a relief, honestly. I assume the issue is the amp? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Yes there is an issue somewhere in the amplification.
Like @jaslionsaid, try if you can connect some (not to big) speakers directly to the output of the record player.
If there is sound coming out, it most likely is on the part of the headphone amp.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

16 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Yes there is an issue somewhere in the amplification.
Like @jaslionsaid, try if you can connect some (not to big) speakers directly to the output of the record player.
If there is sound coming out, it most likely is on the part of the headphone amp.

Tried plugging the turntable into my PC and recording with Audacity, and it works flawlessly.

Is it fair to say that the issue here is 100% the amp?

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It also takes RCA no?

My full rig

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

This is right. The RCA jacks on this DAC/AMp are outputs, not inputs. So it won`t work.

2 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Makes sense, I had some doubts about that but trial and error am I right?

Thanks so much.

And thank you all for taking the time to help me out. I'll order a new amp!

My full rig

10 minutes ago, Leychee said:

Tried plugging the turntable into my PC and recording with Audacity, and it works flawlessly.

Is it fair to say that the issue here is 100% the amp?

It also takes RCA no?

The RCA are outputs, you need a phono preamp i belive

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The RCA are outputs, you need a phono preamp i belive

The turntable has a built-in phono preamp!

My full rig

2 hours ago, Leychee said:

The turntable has a built-in phono preamp!

Why not just plug it into line-in from PC (for now)?!
Then you can even record stuff if you need to. 😉

3 hours ago, Leychee said:

Makes sense, I had some doubts about that but trial and error am I right?

Thanks so much.

And thank you all for taking the time to help me out. I'll order a new amp!

Was there a reason you decided not to get the "XDUOO MT-602" in your previous thread?

I even clarified that it was difficult to find options that had an RCA Input and now you made that exact mistake with the Topping DX1.

I thought your budget was 50€?

What retailers are available to you?

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |