Can I cheap out on Windows?

Steiger2010
Go to solution Solved by homeap5,

For all that people who recommends buying cheap Windows key from grey market...

I remember once some of Microsoft emoloyee said that is even better (still bad, but better) to download pirated version of Windows than buying from black/grey market key. Why? Well, at least you don't pay thieves and schemers money for product that they are not allowed to sell. So basically you don't "only" used pirated version of Windows, but also pay for it and support grey market.

There are only two valid solutions - be a man and decide - are you pirate or not. If yes - do not pay for it (like real pirate do not pay for his wooden leg or parrot). If not - buy your copy of Microsoft Windows from official reseller.

Remember - info that product is activated doesn't mean is legal. Is just activated, Microsoft doesn't care so much about it. If they want to check is your copy legal, they for sure will not check info from your control panel. 🙂 That info in control panel only means that Windows is activated (whatever that means). It may help you to be sure that legal key is installed proper. Microsoft some time ago stops block users from activating and updating Windows because it's safer that way for everyone - more people have updates installed means less infected internet. But activated don't means legal.

It's like a car - you can buy it from some shady person, register it and even get official confirmation, but if police discovers later that your car was stolen, you will lost it. No matter how good papers do you have - it's simply not your car.

So buying grey market key, even if it works, is worse than downloading pirated activator. Your Windows will work, for sure (the same as when you're using activator), everything will work except... it will not be legal. So if you want your watermark gone - buy legal version or not buy anything at all and use dark path of being scarry pirate. Your choice.

Hello, I have a gaming laptop that came with a windows key. I am going to build a pc and was wondering if I could maybe cheap out on windows and use the product key that came with the laptop to save some money (Its a windows 10 key I upgraded to windows 11). Does anyone know how I could do this? I was also going to sell the laptop to a friend and if I do that will I still be able to use that key. It says in the activation menu in settings it says that the product key is saved to my Microsoft account. I don't want to have to pay over 100 dollars on a windows key because I only have a budget of 1,000 dollars for my pc with peripherals.

I just ran mine without a license key, theres a thing you can do to remove the watermark and its pretty much the same.

11 minutes ago, Seb_1 said:

I just ran mine without a license key, theres a thing you can do to remove the watermark and its pretty much the same.

p i r a t e e r i n g

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

2 minutes ago, SignatureSigner said:

p i r a t e e r i n g

That is why I don't want to use it without a license.....

36 minutes ago, Steiger2010 said:

Hello, I have a gaming laptop that came with a windows key. I am going to build a pc and was wondering if I could maybe cheap out on windows and use the product key that came with the laptop to save some money (Its a windows 10 key I upgraded to windows 11). Does anyone know how I could do this? I was also going to sell the laptop to a friend and if I do that will I still be able to use that key. It says in the activation menu in settings it says that the product key is saved to my Microsoft account. I don't want to have to pay over 100 dollars on a windows key because I only have a budget of 1,000 dollars for my pc with peripherals.

Usually the old key is linked to your MS account so you cannot transfer it over to a different user. However you can buy working keys for far less than that.

3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

However you can buy working keys for far less than that.

The best way to do this is a gray-market area with buyer protections. I usually use G2A but you can probably find cheaper deals if you are open to risk.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

You can buy it from 3rd party retailers that are located in different countries, where Windows is cheaper. You can get it for like 10 bucks. This is not illegal or pirating. 

Omg, it's a signature!

1 hour ago, Applefreak said:

Usually the old key is linked to your MS account so you cannot transfer it over to a different user. However you can buy working keys for far less than that.

what if I sign into my ms account on the new pc? Will it use that code?

2 hours ago, Steiger2010 said:

If your laptop came with Windows, it's almost certain it's using an OEM key. OEM keys are good for activation on a single computer, as defined by Microsoft. If the laptop instead has a Retail Windows License, you should be able to "transfer" it by signing into the same Microsoft account on your new computer.

Grey market keys sold through unauthorized resellers may or may not come from legitimate sources, and thus may or may not violate Microsoft's EULA. Because I have no way of knowing whether a grey market key was legitimately acquired from an authorized reseller, I cannot recommend anyone buy one.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Yea I was looking and I have OEM on my laptop. probably going to just heck and breck the budget and buy a legit retail windows key.

On 9/15/2023 at 6:56 PM, Steiger2010 said:

That is why I don't want to use it without a license.....

whos gonna stop you...

On 9/18/2023 at 7:23 AM, Seb_1 said:

whos gonna stop you...

well Maby Microsoft ( with my luck I'm telling you rn I will get scammed or something).

• 2 weeks later...

I remember once some of Microsoft emoloyee said that is even better (still bad, but better) to download pirated version of Windows than buying from black/grey market key. Why? Well, at least you don't pay thieves and schemers money for product that they are not allowed to sell. So basically you don't "only" used pirated version of Windows, but also pay for it and support grey market.

There are only two valid solutions - be a man and decide - are you pirate or not. If yes - do not pay for it (like real pirate do not pay for his wooden leg or parrot). If not - buy your copy of Microsoft Windows from official reseller.

Remember - info that product is activated doesn't mean is legal. Is just activated, Microsoft doesn't care so much about it. If they want to check is your copy legal, they for sure will not check info from your control panel. 🙂 That info in control panel only means that Windows is activated (whatever that means). It may help you to be sure that legal key is installed proper. Microsoft some time ago stops block users from activating and updating Windows because it's safer that way for everyone - more people have updates installed means less infected internet. But activated don't means legal.

It's like a car - you can buy it from some shady person, register it and even get official confirmation, but if police discovers later that your car was stolen, you will lost it. No matter how good papers do you have - it's simply not your car.

So buying grey market key, even if it works, is worse than downloading pirated activator. Your Windows will work, for sure (the same as when you're using activator), everything will work except... it will not be legal. So if you want your watermark gone - buy legal version or not buy anything at all and use dark path of being scarry pirate. Your choice.

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

I replaced my motherboard the other day in one of my PCs and the license wouldn't reactive. I called windows support, and they asked where I bought my code. I told them it was a grey market code and they were like oh cool and reactivated my windows for me.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

On 10/3/2023 at 8:12 PM, TylerD321 said:

I replaced my motherboard the other day in one of my PCs and the license wouldn't reactive. I called windows support, and they asked where I bought my code. I told them it was a grey market code and they were like oh cool and reactivated my windows for me.

That's very cool. They probably don't care so much. It's like "hey, it's much easier for us to activate system for this poor guy that arguing, which would waste of our time". It still doesn't mean that your Windows is legal, it just means that is activated. It's like you stole candy bar from shop and go to police after 5 years - they'll probably say something like "it's ok man, no one reported it to us, so it's yours, enjoy your meal". You're still a thief - just one who isn't worth someone else time, because an hour of a policeman's work is worth more than a candy bar. 🙂

In case someone will really check your key and system, good luck with arguing "hey, someone from Microsoft says it's ok and actiates my system!" ("Who? Do you have any proof?"). 🙂