TV vs PC monitor

tdkid
6 hours ago, tdkid said:

this is what i have been saying and what i am complaining about is is that i have been saying this several times now but people here are acting like. "me: if you put 2 different sized monitors side by side you will see a difference in their physical size. people here: no, the aspect ratios are the same.". i can change the aspect ratios on my 42" TV right now to be a 4:3 if i wanted to. i do not care about the ratios because you can change them to what works best for you, their max is the max they can but you can change them.

all i wanted to know from the start was can you use a PC monitor as a TV because i know it has higher refresh rates than most TVs so not only a better gaming experience but maybe TV too but this went in a whole different direction with trying to talk about aspect ratios. your main ones are 4:3 and 16:9 but with the new ultra wide monitors that is changing up things a little.

i think i will just stick with a TV when i go to replace the one i have now.

You can't change the physical aspect ratio. You can change what you see on the screen, but that has downsides.

And the TV and the monitor don't have to be different size. They make both in the same size like I showed you.

I know the forum rule is be excellent to each other, but you are making that really difficult with your ability to not grasp what people are saying to you.

On 9/14/2023 at 12:03 AM, tdkid said:

can a PC monitor be used as a TV screen?

Technically yes. If the cable box has HDMI and supports HDCP which Im going to guess it would, then it should work fine. The only issue you might have is with sound as not all PC monitors have speakers, BUT a lot of them have audio out, so you can plug in external speakers or headphones. 

The other way to do this is to do what I do and pipe your TV service in to your network. Now Im not sure if you can do it with cable TV still but with OTA TV you can use something like an HD Homerun to put the TV signal on your network. In my case I use Plex (with Plex pass) in conjunction with my HD Homerun to have a guide and option to record live TV. I can watch TV on many devices including  Smart TV's, Computers, Phones, etc. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

You can't change the physical aspect ratio. You can change what you see on the screen, but that has downsides.

And the TV and the monitor don't have to be different size. They make both in the same size like I showed you.

I know the forum rule is be excellent to each other, but you are making that really difficult with your ability to not grasp what people are saying to you.

you too? does no one here speak or understand english? i am getting real tired of repeating myself from people who think i said something different when i didnt. what i said once again is talking about the PHYSICAL SIZE of the displays NOT the aspect ratios of them. yes i know you can change the aspect ratios on the screen to change the view of what you are seeing on it but that once again is no what i have been talking about. so can we please stop talking about aspect ratios as it literally has nothing to do with topic. 

1 hour ago, tdkid said:

you too? does no one here speak or understand english? i am getting real tired of repeating myself from people who think i said something different when i didnt. what i said once again is talking about the PHYSICAL SIZE of the displays NOT the aspect ratios of them. yes i know you can change the aspect ratios on the screen to change the view of what you are seeing on it but that once again is no what i have been talking about. so can we please stop talking about aspect ratios as it literally has nothing to do with topic. 

Please explain then why the two monitors have the same dimentions as these two tvs?

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-cu8000-43/p/1CS-001X-00018?recaptcha=pass

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824281244?recaptcha=pass&recaptcha=pass

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg-43-4k-uhd-hdr-led-webos-smart-tv-43uq7590pub-2022-dark-iron-grey/16158038

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-43-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u4323qe/apd/210-bfpo/monitors-monitor-accessories#techspecs_section

Because according to what you say, that should not be possible.

5 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

no. what i have been saying is that if you put a TV like this f534700bd65cc6213981d778d4fe3dd2.jpg next to a TV like this https://www.newegg.com/samsung-cu8000-43/p/1CS-001X-00018?recaptcha=pass then you will notice the physical size difference. even though these two tvs are 20 years apart the aspect ratios are the same. 

4 minutes ago, tdkid said:

no. what i have been saying is that if you put a TV like this  next to a TV like this https://www.newegg.com/samsung-cu8000-43/p/1CS-001X-00018?recaptcha=pass then you will notice the physical size difference. even though these two tvs are 20 years apart the aspect ratios are the same. 

No they aren't. That is what we are telling you. The old TV is 4x3 aspect ratio. The new TV is 16x9 aspect ratio.

You post clearly shows that you have no understanding of aspect ratio. It is the relationship between length vs height (wide vs tall)

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

No they aren't. That is what we are telling you. The old TV is 4x3 aspect ratio. The new TV is 16x9 aspect ratio.

You post clearly shows that you have no understanding of aspect ratio. It is the relationship between length vs height (wide vs tall)

it doesnt matter because i have not nor have i ever been talking about the aspect ratios of the TVs.

2 minutes ago, tdkid said:

it doesnt matter because i have not nor have i ever been talking about the aspect ratios of the TVs.

But you have without calling it aspect ratio. You keep going on and on about the tv and monitor being different height. Do you know why they are different height? Because they are different aspect ratio. The two are linked. Lenght/width ARE aspect ratio. It's the same thing. So you comparing a short and wide monitor with a tall and narrow TV is just comparing two different aspect ratios.

And to bring it back, TV's and monitors come in MANY physical aspect ratios. If you don't want a short and wide one, then don't get it. Find a narrow and tall one.

8 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

But you have without calling it aspect ratio. You keep going on and on about the tv and monitor being different height. Do you know why they are different height? Because they are different aspect ratio. The two are linked. Lenght/width ARE aspect ratio. It's the same thing. So you comparing a short and wide monitor with a tall and narrow TV is just comparing two different aspect ratios.

And to bring it back, TV's and monitors come in MANY physical aspect ratios. If you don't want a short and wide one, then don't get it. Find a narrow and tall one.

i am fucking done i am just done several people on here have pissed me off because they are too fucking stupid. how in the holy fucking hell does "the height of this 12" tall TV is 12" and this 24" tall TV is 24"" translate to "you are talking about aspect ratios" NO I AM NOT and i am fucking tired of being told that is what i mean when i have said several times no its not what i am talking about stop talking about it, why are you still talking about it over and over again. YES i know the aspect ratiro correspond to TV size in that a 13" TV from 20 years ago will not have the same aspect ratio or color qaulity as a mondern TV, that is not what this topic has been about and never has been. it was simply "can a PC monitor be used as a TV screen" and i have gotten severla answers of yes it can, so its been answered. i just said that that 42" ultra wide monitor was not as tall as a 42" TV screen so it would be harder to see from a distance and that is where you and the other person started talking about aspect ratios.

On 9/20/2023 at 12:26 AM, tdkid said:

not the aspect ratios because i know the PC monitors have different style screens like IPS LCDs and the TVs are LED

aspect ratio or color qaulity as a mondern TV

On 9/19/2023 at 3:46 PM, tdkid said:

then you will notice the physical size difference. even though these two tvs are 20 years apart the aspect ratios are the same. 

Obviously you had no idea what is aspect ratio and all the post proof you refuse to learn.

Aspect Ratio had nothing to do with what type of the display panel used, be it TN, VA, IPS, Mini-LED, OLED or MicroLED.

Aspect Ratio also had nothing to do with color quality. How good the color or how bad the color also won't impact the aspect ratio. 

As for that antique monitor is 4:3 aspect ratio, new TV now all is 16:9 aspect ratio, off course it won't physically same.

On 9/20/2023 at 12:26 AM, tdkid said:

42" ultra wide monitor was not as tall as a 42" TV

Yes, the Ultrawide display (21:9 aspect ratio) will not have same tall as Wide display (16:9 aspect ratio).

But when you putting in 42" or previously you mentioned of 32", this is the issue as they is no 42" or 32" Ultrawide display, all 42" and 32" in market is Wide. When a display in same size and same aspect ratio, then the tall will be 100% same. It will be physically same screen size from top to bottom (excluded the leg size and border thickness). Display is not count by top to bottom either. It is count by diagonal.

< removed by moderation >

Edited by LogicalDrm

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PSU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2).

Laptop: Asus Vivobook "A Bathing Ape" - ASUS Vivobook S 15 OLED BAPE Edition: Intel i9-13900H, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 2.8K 120hz OLED | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023: M2 Pro, 16 GB RAM, NVMe 512 GB | Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB | Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB.

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz QD-OLED HDR, LG OLED Flex 42LX3QPSA 41.5" 3840x2160 bendable 120hz WOLED, AOC 24G2SP 24" 1920x1080 165hz SDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR, BenQ EW2440ZH 24" 1920x1080 75hz VA SDR.

Input Device: Asus ROG Azoth Wireless Mechanical KeyboardAsus ROG Chakram X Origin Wireless MouseLogitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G502X Wireless Mouse, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos.

Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, SONOS Beam (Gen 2) Dolby Atmos Soundbar, SONOS Sub Mini, SONOS Era 100 x2, SONOS Era 300 Dolby Atmos, Logitech G560 2.1 USB & Bluetooth Speaker, Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar, Sony MDR-Z1R, Bang & Olufsen Beoplay EX, Sony WF-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM5, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray.

Mobile & Smart Watch: Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max (Natural Titanium), Apple Watch Series 8 Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop (Graphite).

Others Gadgets: Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair