The end of a 30-year war - Microsoft claims to have finally solved Windows printer drivers

BachChain
On 9/16/2023 at 7:59 AM, Mark Kaine said:

have a 20 year old ink printer, use maybe once or twice/ year, nah it still works,  im pretty sure im on my second cartridge still.

(its called office jet, also scans and copies,  really cool, was really cheap also, like under 100 bucks)

i think you're probably just using modern crap instead of  a good old vintage printer if you have that issue? 🤔

I don't think it is an age thing where "old stuff worked better!".

It's just a fact of life that ink dries up when not used. I am not even sure I believe your story that you only use it once or maybe twice a year and it doesn't get dried up. It happens to everything, not just printers. Keep a ballpoint pen ejected for one year and it will dry up too. You might get it working again by cleaning it (like rubbing it on a paper back and forth several times) but the same can sometimes be done with print ink.

On 9/13/2023 at 1:00 PM, HanZie82 said:

Inkjet printers are so fucked if you dont print for like 5 days the nozzles get clogged and you can buy a new set of cartridges at extortionate pricing.

For this reason, I just buy remanufactured cartridges...FAR cheaper than buying brand new cartridges. I mean, I think for all four required cartridges, it's almost cheaper than ONE brand new cartridge. The print quality in my experience for the ones I buy isn't as good, but I just use more ink, and I still make out better than buying them brand new from the manufacturer. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It's just a fact of life that ink dries up when not used. I am not even sure I believe your story that you only use it once or maybe twice a year and it doesn't get dried up.

Ink printers are garbage in their construction, and they almost never work properly when you need them. People buy these cheap printers precisely because of how infrequent people print. Yet inkjet printers are the worst for infrequent printing.

Laser printers have a lower cost per page depending on how many pages are printed. HP used to make lower cost LaserJet printer that would last decades, but no longer. The HP laser printers sold to the home office market are also garbage with frequent breakdowns and stripped gears. If you want a real solid HP Laserjet Printer, you're looking at the enterprise lineup with a pricy initial cost for the printer.

I'm open to suggestions, but for home use I'd recommend a Brother laser printer. Don't bother with the throw-away ink machines; they're basically packaged e-waste.

On 9/12/2023 at 11:59 PM, Applefreak said:

Problem is that this new alliance only supports new printers. I've looked all of my current ones including those in the office from 2022 and none of them show up as being supported. So whenever that garbage goes into effect, you won't get any third party drivers anymore and only a select few printers will work. Welcome back to the good old times of Macintosh OS when you had your choice of a couple of printers each generation that would be certified and supported. Another huge step back but with everyone wanting things to be more Apple, being unable to choose seems to be the future right? Odd thing is that Apple is way more compatible now than it ever was when it comes to third party drivers and peripherals.

Give them some time, just been announced 🤣
Guess it has to do with the vendor. My 3 year old Canon is already supported. But if your old printers aren't supported, this simply wont affect you. Use the available drivers. Just the nature of the beast. 

basically they have "solved" an "issue" that never existed...

the real issue with printers, proprietary cartridges and forced online subscription aren't "solved" by MICROSOFT of course...

Man, software maker must be the best job ever.

"We have *solved an issue*" 

lmao, yeah, sure u did! 🙃

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I never had a problem printing a page. I just added the printer on Windows and clicked print. Works every single time.

But scanning a document... Oh boy... That's a whole different story.