Colours look better on Monitor when connected via USB C vs HDMI

Confusizzled

The colours on my monitor (Samsung 43" M7) look so much better and natural when connected to my Macbook Air via USB C than when I'm connecting to my desktop. A note is that I'm connecting to my desktop to my r9 290x GPU via a display port to HDMI adapter. So the HDMI is connected to the monitor and the DP adapter is on the GPU. Any thoughts on what's causing this difference in colour? The GPU? DP-HDMI Adapter? Cable? Basically the monitor looks too saturated and too much contrast with my desktop 

My first guess would be the DP-HDMI adapter. What brand is it? If it's no name Amazon I'd start there.

The wrong display colour profile may be getting automatically selected. If we're talking Macs you can override it in System Preferences > Displays > Colour. No idea for Windows.

Two possible causes:
1. Your Desktop PC has enabled "Vivid gaming" colour profile

To disable it, open AMD Software app, click Gaming tab -> Display -> Display Color Enhancement -> Set to Disabled

Basically any 'color or contrast' enhancement is a bull feces and an insult to display default colour

2. The DP-HDMI adaptor bottleneck/affect the digital data transfer

I would suggest to just use HDMI-to-HDMI or DP-to-DP cable depending on your R9 290X and monitor available port

Additional tech tips:
On AMD Software app, if your monitor and HDMI version cable supports higher data transfer, you may change the Colour depth from the mainstream 8 bit to 10-bit

It will dramatically improve colour depth, especially in darker area

image.thumb.png.481ad57d948890a633e2b4b744cd4208.png

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Could be the settings are wrong on the TV/monitor, you often have to specifically enable deep color and make sure the RGB range is correct in Windows and on the monitor - they both should be full range.

Also if your adapter is only HDMI 2.0 rather than HDMI 2.1 this may limit it to a lower chroma subsampling which can alter the colour reproduction.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7