The inflation-adjusted price of every iPhone at release

Nowooski

After reading some of the price rumors about the new iPhone 15s last week, I decided to take a look at the inflation-adjusted price of every iPhone model at release. What I found kind of surprised me. If the price rumors are true, the base model iPhone 15 will be the least expensive base model iPhone since the original was released in 2007.  A bit of a narrative violation! 

A few process notes: 
- I looked at the starting price price for the least expensive version of each model. No memory upgrades (where Apple typically makes a killing). 

- This is based on the US price for an unlocked or unsubsidized phone. No carrier discounts.  

- Inflation calculations are based on the US BLS inflation calculator and are measured from July of the release year to July 2023, the last month data the BLS calculator has inflation data for. 

I've attached the key chart, but here's a full write up of inflation-adjusted iPhone prices with some additional visualizations. 

4807de6f-e646-424a-947c-d375282f386a (7).png

Gotta love that 367$ upcharge for a top of the line model 😛

I knew the 10 was a HIKE in price but that just sucked.

Do like that the se is trending down as it's a pretty good phone all around

Just jumping in to say great work. It's easy to criticize the current rumored pricing in a vacuum, but seeing it layed-out like this is really interesting

Looking like I'll be holding onto my 13 pro for a while longer. The idea of the dynamic island coming to the full 15 series lineup is cool, but it's not enough for me to upgrade. 

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Gotta love that 367$ upcharge for a top of the line model 😛

I knew the 10 was a HIKE in price but that just sucked.

Do like that the se is trending down as it's a pretty good phone all around

For sure. The thing that surprised me the most was how expensive the X was, and how the pro-line is getting cheaper. It seems like Apple realized they wildly over charged for that first pro model. 

3 minutes ago, Timotheus865 said:

Just jumping in to say great work. It's easy to criticize the current rumored pricing in a vacuum, but seeing it layed-out like this is really interesting

Looking like I'll be holding onto my 13 pro for a while longer. The idea of the dynamic island coming to the full 15 series lineup is cool, but it's not enough for me to upgrade. 

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. 

Inflation only tells half the story with these things, when real wages/purchasing power doesn't keep up. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16