Small help on buying an old CPU for an old system

9 hours ago, mariushm said:

Samsung seems to be 667 Mhz, Kingston seems to be 800 Mhz

Manual says : Memory 2 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support up to 4 GB of  DDR2 667/533 unbufferred non-ECC memory

It's possible there was an option in the bios to manually set the memory at 667 Mhz and the previous person set that option, and then installed the kingston ram which probably forced the kingston ram to run at 667 mhz

With bios update, maybe that option was reset, or maybe with this new cpu this option may no longer work - and the board officially can't work the memory at 800 mhz

But thing is, putting both RAMs makes the PC to not boot up but putting either Samsung or Kingston, the PC boots up just fine and i don't understand why is that?

I did do a CMOS reset before i installed the new CPU and did the load default BIOS settings and maybe it's what you said but i do not understand why the system cannot boot up with the 2 RAMs but putting either one of the two boots up? I will try if possible to lower the speed of Kingston and see if that helps.

Also where did you find in the manual about the memory specificions of this CPU? Because I've been searching for the past 10m and i cannot find it, unless I'm dunb. Thanks lol

9 hours ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Also where did you find in the manual about the memory specificions of this CPU? Because I've been searching for the past 10m and i cannot find it, unless I'm dunb. Thanks lol

Manual for Asus P5VD2-VM : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5RD2-VM/e2832_p5vd2-vm.pdf?model=P5VD2-VM

Page 10 :

image.png.3feeab8936bf4950addd549cced248d7.png

From page 29 you have memory information / details etc ... you will see it has there lists of supported memory sticks for 667 mhz and 533 mhz , nothing about 800 mhz.

You could have also searched for Via P4M900 chipset specification and you would have found information about it, for example : https://www.techpowerup.com/12605/via-announces-via-p4m900-chipset

VIA Technologies, Inc, a leading innovator and developer of silicon chip technologies and PC platform solutions, today announced the VIA P4M900 chipset featuring the VIA Chrome9 Integrated Graphics Processor core, PCI Express connectivity and DDR2 memory support up to 667MHz for Intel processors, including the latest Intel Core Duo

[...]

Enabling support for up to 1066MHz FSB Intel processor based systems and DDR2 memory up to 667MHz, the VIA P4M900 features the high-bandwidth Ultra V-Link bus for connecting to VIA's outstanding range of South Bridge solutions

Not trying to be a jerk, but you’d solve a lot of problems just saving a few euro to get a 7-10 year old office pc off a used market. Is that an option?

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Manual for Asus P5VD2-VM : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5RD2-VM/e2832_p5vd2-vm.pdf?model=P5VD2-VM

Page 10 :

From page 29 you have memory information / details etc ... you will see it has there lists of supported memory sticks for 667 mhz and 533 mhz , nothing about 800 mhz.

You could have also searched for Via P4M900 chipset specification and you would have found information about it, for example : https://www.techpowerup.com/12605/via-announces-via-p4m900-chipset

[...]

Bruh that was the page i was looking for but for some reason i couldn't find it lol even though i was at that page yesterday. But i gotcha, i will try tomorrow to see if i can clock down the Kingston speed and see if the computer boots up. I will keep you posted on it when i got updates, thanks for now!

1 minute ago, Echothedolpin said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but you’d solve a lot of problems just saving a few euro to get a 7-10 year old office pc off a used market. Is that an option?

You're not a jerk, you're fine

But in my opinion this computer is not worth upgrading for any reason but my boss from the military has that computer and he wanted an uplift in performance, so, i can't do much unfortunately.

He's also a bit crazy mentally so cba to persuade him to just buy a new computer

On 10/9/2023 at 6:17 PM, mariushm said:

Page 10 :

[...]

Alright, so, i've got some funny news lol. The main thing is that both RAMs work with the new CPU and i've set them both to the max the CPU supports which is 667MHz

I originally put the Kingston RAM first in slot 1 since that was 800MHz and i set it to 667MHz (there is a single setting in BIOS to run all RAM at a specific speed), i then put the other RAM on slot 2 and i see the PC doesn't boot up and i was scratching my head figuring out what's wrong since i've set in BIOS for both RAMs to run at 667MHz. Since slot 1 works but not slot 2, i removed the second RAM from slot 2 and i took a closer inspection with my flashlight on the actual RAM slot itself and i see on the second to last pin at the bottom right that the little tiny gold pin was not in place and there were some black stuff, idk what it was but it definitely wasn't like that when i got the computer, maybe it was but i didn't pay attention to it idk. I got a toothpick and pushed the pin a little forward so it's in line with the other pins and i cleaned as much as i could the black stuff that was on it. I checked the Kingston RAM since that was the RAM that was in slot 2 originally when i got the computer and on that same second to last pin, there was black stuff as well so i scraped that black thing without damaging the gold contact point, put the Kingston RAM in slot 2 and voila, the computer boots! Putting also the other RAM in slot 1, the PC works just like that!

I think the plastic melted there for some reason and me removing the RAM first time few days ago made the RAM and RAM slot not have a proper contact so that's that.

All in all, new CPU with the 2 RAMs work as intended and i'm very glad