New build is driving me crazy

Wyatt_M

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Honkai star rail, Genshin impact, csgo, smite, other new single player games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler

ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI

TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL32 Memory

XFX Speedster MERC 319 Radeon RX 6950 XT 16 GB Video Card

Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Phanteks Eclipse G360A ATX Mid Tower Case

Looking to play at 1080p 144 frames at minimum.

I have these parts and I've had to replace the motherboard and power supply already after I took it to my repair shop and they told me they were bad. I built the PC about a week ago and it just runs as if I don't have a GPU, Im getting really frustrated because even after getting it fixed I'm getting frames that my old 1070 was doing better. I've read that my GPU has a lot of driver issues. So I'm wondering if there are any recommendations. I'm taking it back the to shop tomorrow and I half waiting for them to tell me I should try a new GPU. 

i know this might sound daft but you are plugging the monitor in to the graphics card aren't you?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Couple sanity checks:

1. Are the GPU's PCIe power connectors plugged in on both the GPU and PSU sides? 
  2. Is the HDMI/DP cable plugged into the GPU or the motherboard? 

It sounds like you're running in the iGPU rather than the 6950 XT. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Couple sanity checks:

1. Are the GPU's PCIe power connectors plugged in on both the GPU and PSU sides? 

This ^  and get yourself a 2k monitor instead, 16gb could even handle 4k I think. Way better experience and you get what you actually paid for.

春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Couple sanity checks:

Also not sure if this may have an impact with the X3D CPUs...but latest non-Beta BIOS update and chipset drivers??? The BIOS update I'm more concerned with as IIRC chipset drivers matter more for X3D CPUs with more than 1 CCD.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Yeah that is the issue and when I swap over to the 6950 the game doesn't really run any better and the games crash. Everything is plugged in. The hmi and dp are in the GPU. But now it can't load my profile for the desktop, can't even get into my PC now.

Sometimes Windows wrecks the drivers bc it thinks it's better. Double, triple, quadruple check the drivers you have are the latest from the AMD website. Let Windows update run as long as it needs to to get everything up to date, postpone new updates for a week or something, and then install the drivers from AMD.

So  your old 1070 was running under the same Windows and you didn't install a fresh OS after upgrading all these parts? I would highly recommend doing so, keeping the same OS could be fine but I would recommend a fresh install.

Other than if you are keeping the same OS then use DDU just to make sure the driver installation wasn't causing any issues.

I second the comment about running DDU (display driver uninstaller). Switching from Nvidia to an AMD card you absolutely want to run that to get rid of all the Nvidia drivers.

8 hours ago, Wyatt_M said:

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Honkai star rail, Genshin impact, csgo, smite, other new single player games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler

ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI

TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL32 Memory

XFX Speedster MERC 319 Radeon RX 6950 XT 16 GB Video Card

Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Phanteks Eclipse G360A ATX Mid Tower Case

Looking to play at 1080p 144 frames at minimum.

I have these parts and I've had to replace the motherboard and power supply already after I took it to my repair shop and they told me they were bad. I built the PC about a week ago and it just runs as if I don't have a GPU, Im getting really frustrated because even after getting it fixed I'm getting frames that my old 1070 was doing better. I've read that my GPU has a lot of driver issues. So I'm wondering if there are any recommendations. I'm taking it back the to shop tomorrow and I half waiting for them to tell me I should try a new GPU. 

there are two different versions of the AMD chipset drivers.. one for x3d cpu's and one for the others.. if you installed the WRONG drivers you need to REINSTALL windows to get the correct drivers working properly..  sounds like you got the wrong drivers... realy.. 

and according to jaytwocent, AMD has confirmed that you need to reinstall windows to get it working. not that it takes long to reinstall if you have all the drivers and a usb3 drive to load it from. 

EDIT: sidenote.. isn't the latest AMD sweetspot speed 6400mhz on the memory?.. consider getting 6400mhz chips.. that's a powerful gaming cpu.. lowering ram speeds would be throttling it.