Manual Ram Overclocking help

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 minute ago, Abyssal said:

Didnt work at even 2400, still on base speed from before

OK, do a clear CMOS to completely reset the BIOS and try again. If that doesn't help, I'd go to trying a new BIOS revisions to see if your current one is broken. 

So, i have a mobo with a bios that doesnt support the xmp/boco or whatever profile for Overclocking automatically. It just isnt supported on the qvl list, for some reason. Its just a different chip type.

Mobo: ASUS X570-pro wifi

Ram numb: CMH64GX4M4E3200C16W

If someone can help me to overclock this manually in this wacky bios thatll be a ton of help, ill also tag my discord to make things easier for communication if its wanted

Disc- abyssalentity

That board should support XMP, ASUS just puts it in a weird place. If you're in advanced mode, go to the Tweaker tab, go down to AI Overclock Tuner, and select DOCP 1. You can still manually enter the XMP parameters if you want, but it isn't necessary either. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That board should support XMP, ASUS just puts it in a weird place. If you're in advanced mode, go to the Tweaker tab, go down to AI Overclock Tuner, and select DOCP 1. You can still manually enter the XMP parameters if you want, but it isn't necessary either. 

Yes it supports it butttt the ram isnt supported on the QVL list so the docp just resets it to the base clock speed and I'm getting half of what its rated for

Just now, Abyssal said:

the ram isnt supported on the QVL list

That doesn't really matter, all that means is that ASUS didn't test that kit on that memory topology. 

Where are you checking memory speeds once you enable DOCP?

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

That doesn't really matter, all that means is that ASUS didn't test that kit on that memory topology. 

Where are you checking memory speeds once you enable DOCP?

Cpu-z, task manager, and after reset in bios it is unchanged 

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Send thaiphoon burner screenshot as you dont wanna be blindly overclocking

Alright gonna need a min on this gatta boot it up

17 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

Just be aware that most reporting software will show you half of what is advertised because ddr means double data rate so you have to take the clock and multiply it by 2. 

15 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

OK, CPU-Z is pretty reliable for reading memory speed (task manager isn't). Just making sure, DRAM is double data rate, so the memory frequency will be half of the advertised data rate (I.E. if it was reporting 1600MHz, it's at the correct speed, while if it was reporting 1066MHz it isn't). 

If you scroll down in that same tweaker tab, you'll find settings for memory frequency, DRAM voltage, and a submenu for memory timings. Memory frequency you will set to whatever that kit is rated for (3200 from what I can tell), DRAM voltage will be set to 1.35V, and memory timings will be set to 16-20-20-38 for tCL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS. There might be two versions of tRCD, tRCDRD and tRCDWR, set them both to the same value. 

26 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Send thaiphoon burner screenshot as you dont wanna be blindly overclocking

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

(I.E. if it was reporting 1600MHz, it's at the correct speed, while if it was reporting 1066MHz it isn't). 

If you scroll down in that same tweaker tab, you'll find settings for memory frequency, DRAM voltage, and a submenu for memory timings. Memory frequency you will set to whatever that kit is rated for (3200 from what I can tell), DRAM voltage will be set to 1.35V, and memory timings will be set to 16-20-20-38 for tCL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS. There might be two versions of tRCD, tRCDRD and tRCDWR, set them both to the same value. 

Here are both screenshots for either of you to use, i can go into BIOS after and try that but idk how to change it off of auto into a custom but i hope its an option bc before i was unable to edit values 

Snapchat-820886086.jpg

Snapchat-1957623420.jpg

Here are both screenshots for either of you to use, i can go into BIOS after and try that but idk how to change it off of auto into a custom but i hope its an option bc before i was unable to edit values 

Snapchat-820886086.jpg

Snapchat-1957623420.jpg

OK, so it's loading the timings correctly but isn't loading the frequency. Try and manually set the frequency to 3200 in the BIOS, and maybe bump the SOC voltage up to 1.15V

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, so it's loading the timings correctly but isn't loading the frequency. Try and manually set the frequency to 3200 in the BIOS, and maybe bump the SOC voltage up to 1.15V

Rebooting now

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Either it didnt work or i dont understand something 

Snapchat-1377777258.jpg

Snapchat-2113735047.jpg

11 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

Either it didnt work or i dont understand something 

Snapchat-1377777258.jpg

Snapchat-2113735047.jpg

OK, the same problem. Try walking up the memory frequency, so trying 2400, then 2666, then 2933, and finally 3200 to see if they get better as you go. 

12 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, the same problem. Try walking up the memory frequency, so trying 2400, then 2666, then 2933, and finally 3200 to see if they get better as you go. 

OK, do a clear CMOS to completely reset the BIOS and try again. If that doesn't help, I'd go to trying a new BIOS revisions to see if your current one is broken. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Alright, reflashing and resetting bios. Ill be back to report any change at all

5 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

Alright, reflashing and resetting bios. Ill be back to report any change at all

What's your CPU?

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

1 hour ago, Abyssal said:

Snapchat-820886086.jpg

Snapchat-1957623420.jpg

Honestly id just return those sticks, you really dont wanna run quad rank unless you are overclocking specific ics and need lots of ram capacity at the same time, usually 4gbit e die in a 4x8 config or 8gbit b die in a 4x16 config

since you dont seem particularly interested in oc just swap for a normal 2x32 kit and buy some dummy sticks if you want all 4 slots filled, dual rank will be alot less of a hassle than quad rank atleast if were looking at xmp and meh ryzen cpu imc

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Honestly id just return those sticks, you really dont wanna run quad rank unless you are overclocking specific ics and need lots of ram capacity at the same time, usually 4gbit e die in a 4x8 config or 8gbit b die in a 4x16 config

since you dont seem particularly interested in oc just swap for a normal 2x32 kit and buy some dummy sticks if you want all 4 slots filled, dual rank will be alot less of a hassle than quad rank atleast if were looking at xmp and meh ryzen cpu imc

Iv already had them for 8 months now its a bit late to return, and i already overclock the cpu and gpu i have and i want the ram to be the speed its rated for. I like alot of ram for what i do as well. I plan on upgrading my cpu and gpu as well and this ram is good for my future plans, if that makes sense

16 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

Ryzen 7 5800X

That is incredibly bizarre. Ryzen 5000 series isn't known for memory issues and I would imagine that you would for sure be able to get the ram to at the very least run at 2400 mhz. I know this might be a dumb question but did you actually save the bios settings after you changed the ram speed in the bios? Also if the ram speed doesn't work after changing it in the bios usually you would have the system try and start but then turn off and then start up again. This is because it will first attempt to but with the new ram speed but if that fails to post the computer will shutdown and revert the ram speed to 2133mhz. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

That is incredibly bizarre. Ryzen 5000 series isn't known for memory issues and I would imagine that you would for sure be able to get the ram to at the very least run at 2400 mhz. I know this might be a dumb question but did you actually save the bios settings after you changed the ram speed in the bios? Also if the ram speed doesn't work after changing it in the bios usually you would have the system try and start but then turn off and then start up again. This is because it will first attempt to but with the new ram speed but if that fails to post the computer will shutdown and revert the ram speed to 2133mhz. 

Yes i always make sure to read every change that is made too, just did it agian just now, as what the gentleman a few messages ago said to update/reflash the bios and also clear cmos. Which actually got it to run at 2400mhz, seeing now if i can go higher or something, having checked the board site they posted a new bios last month which is crazy for "bug fixes"

Corsair and Ryzen do not get along too well. Your board does not want to run them. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

31 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Resetting cmos and Reflashing the bios at the same time solved the problem. Last month they had a new bios update around mid month. Apparently there was a bug, last update it had was in December never thought id see the day. thanks for the help!