How can I upgrade my setup

Shakespade

Hey Guys, I'm currently rocking a MSI GTX 1070 with a i7 6700k CPU. My Ram is Gskill 8x2 16GB and lastly MSI Z170A Tomahawk.

My quesiton here is I'm pretty unsure what bottlenecks what so I need your help to get the best out of my computer since I cannot afford a completely new desktop. So what can I upgrade and also overclock to get the best out of my PC so It can stay with me for at least 1-2 more years.

4 minutes ago, Shakespade said:

Hey Guys, I'm currently rocking a MSI GTX 1070 with a i7 6700k CPU. My Ram is Gskill 8x2 16GB and lastly MSI Z170A Tomahawk.

My quesiton here is I'm pretty unsure what bottlenecks what so I need your help to get the best out of my computer since I cannot afford a completely new desktop. So what can I upgrade and also overclock to get the best out of my PC so It can stay with me for at least 1-2 more years.

I'd say you could get a 6650 xt or 6700 xt. What's your psu wattage and model?

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

3 minutes ago, Shakespade said:

I would upgrade your GPU. get like a 2070 or a 3050. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

9 minutes ago, filpo said:

I'd say you could get a 6650 xt or 6700 xt. What's your psu wattage and model?

It's 650W Corsair

9 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

I would upgrade your GPU. get like a 2070 or a 3050. 

Wouldn't the new GPUs you guys adviced bottleneck my CPU ?

What is your budget to spend on an upgrade?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

10 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

Not a 3050 since it’s worse than the 2060 and it’s overpriced 

3 minutes ago, Shakespade said:

Wouldn't the new GPUs you guys adviced bottleneck my CPU ?

A 6700 xt shouldn’t be bottlenecked be bottlenecked by it but if your not sure then get a 6650 xt or a 6700

Current parts list

39 minutes ago, filpo said:

Not a 3050 since it’s worse than the 2060 and it’s overpriced 

A 6700 xt shouldn’t be bottlenecked be bottlenecked by it but if your not sure then get a 6650 xt or a 6700

The 8700k bottlenecks the rx 6700 xt in depending on the resolution and game. You think the i7 6700k doesn't? I'm sorry you are crazy. 

58 minutes ago, Shakespade said:

What type of games do you want to play? Also keep in mind that depending on your budget there are some serious upgrades you can make for not a crazy amount of money. I would say the price of AMD 5000 series cpus are super cheap atm and would be a huge upgrade over your current cpu. 

Depends on what you do and play but your 1070 is still a decent graphics card for 1080p and many new games can be very CPU intensive so swapping to a new platform now then getting a better graphics card down the road in 1-2y later will likely be the optimal thing to do. 

Upgrading graphics card now while keeping that CPU is pointless. 

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Depends on what you do and play but your 1070 is still a decent graphics card for 1080p and many new games can be very CPU intensive so swapping to a new platform now then getting a better graphics card down the road in 1-2y later will likely be the optimal thing to do. 

Upgrading graphics card now while keeping that CPU is pointless. 

Also cpu prices are very good right now while gpu prices just aren't that attractive imo. I mean they can get a 5600x and a motherboard and keep their ram or spend 50ish bucks for a new kit if needed. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7b8Xvf

11 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

The 8700k bottlenecks the rx 6700 xt in depending on the resolution and game. You think the i7 6700k doesn't? I'm sorry you are crazy. 

Misread that. Thought it was the 8700k

Current parts list

35 minutes ago, filpo said:

Misread that. Thought it was the 8700k

That is more understandable but as someone who has an 8700k in my old build I would say it's definitely showing its age and the main reason why I upgraded my system. That and I live near a microcenter and they had a crazy deal on a cpu motherboard and ram bundle that was very hard to pass up. 

15 hours ago, Middcore said:

What is your budget to spend on an upgrade?

I mean I think It would be pointless to say a number because of our currency and taxes added to the hardware but I'ts something like 10K Turkish Liras

14 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

What type of games do you want to play? Also keep in mind that depending on your budget there are some serious upgrades you can make for not a crazy amount of money. I would say the price of AMD 5000 series cpus are super cheap atm and would be a huge upgrade over your current cpu. 

I'm more of a competitive player. I'd like to be able play CS2, Warzone and Fifa 24 with no FPS drops at all on 165hz 1080p which is pretty hard with my current setup.