TrueNas vs IRST

tjrose91

what difference is the between Truenas and Intel Rapid Storage Technology 

what one is better and safer so fare the RaidZ2 is working out great and seems to be like Raid 6 where any two disk can fail and hasnt failed when i was trying to set up IRST the raid 10 failed to initialize no matter what disks i used 

Home NAS Specs

CPU - Pentium Gold G5420T

RAM - 4x4gb ddr4 2133mhz

MB - Gigabyte Z390 UD

Boot Storage - 250gb NVME with 16 swap for truenas

and 4x10tb HDD Seagate mixed with 2 Barracuda and 2 IronWolf Pro 

41 minutes ago, tjrose91 said:

what difference is the between Truenas and Intel Rapid Storage Technology 

what one is better and safer so fare the RaidZ2 is working out great and seems to be like Raid 6 where any two disk can fail and hasnt failed when i was trying to set up IRST the raid 10 failed to initialize no matter what disks i used 

Home NAS Specs

CPU - Pentium Gold G5420T

RAM - 4x4gb ddr4 2133mhz

MB - Gigabyte Z390 UD

Boot Storage - 250gb NVME with 16 swap for truenas

and 4x10tb HDD Seagate mixed with 2 Barracuda and 2 IronWolf Pro 

I would probably do some research and learn what the difference is…

The short answer is ZFS is the most robust file system in the world. Nothing will work harder to maintain data integrity. 

IRST is nothing like ZFS.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

True nas is a os, and IRST is a bios/fake raid solution.

I'd probably go raid z1 with just 4 drives here, raid 6/z2 doesn't make sense with just 4 drives.

i went off a YT tutorial and mentioned to use suggested thing when doing the setup but i dont have alot data at this point so happy with the piece of mind of having up too 2 drives fail but will look up the other one you mentioned  

2 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

I would probably do some research and learn what the difference is…

The short answer is ZFS is the most robust file system in the world. Nothing will work harder to maintain data integrity. 

IRST is nothing like ZFS.

ya i tried doing research typing ZFS vs IRST and got different search results 

2 hours ago, tjrose91 said:

ya i tried doing research typing ZFS vs IRST and got different search results 

You likely won’t get results asking IRST vs ZFS because it’s like asking what’s the difference between a dishwasher and a car. They both…. Hold stuff inside of them? And that’s about it? 

Look up how IRST functions, and look up how ZFS functions.

The short answer is, ZFS and Truenas are the better solution. So don’t worry about changing from ZFS to something else. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

On 9/8/2023 at 12:08 AM, LIGISTX said:

You likely won’t get results asking IRST vs ZFS because it’s like asking what’s the difference between a dishwasher and a car. They both…. Hold stuff inside of them? And that’s about it? 

Look up how IRST functions, and look up how ZFS functions.

The short answer is, ZFS and Truenas are the better solution. So don’t worry about changing from ZFS to something else. 

The other good thing with zfs is you don't have to worry about losing the data when the controller fails like you would with any hardware solution. 

1 hour ago, m9x3mos said:

The other good thing with zfs is you don't have to worry about losing the data when the controller fails like you would with any hardware solution. 

100% yes. 

On 9/7/2023 at 6:14 PM, tjrose91 said:

i went off a YT tutorial and mentioned to use suggested thing when doing the setup but i dont have alot data at this point so happy with the piece of mind of having up too 2 drives fail but will look up the other one you mentioned  

If your using 50% of the drive capacity for redundancy you might as well go raid 10 or stripped mirrors and get the extra performance. But I don't see a dual failure as a major issue with 4 drives.

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If your using 50% of the drive capacity for redundancy you might as well go raid 10 or stripped mirrors and get the extra performance. But I don't see a dual failure as a major issue with 4 drives.

i like the idea of the extra two drives being used as parity , the Raid 10 from what i understand any two can fail but if its on the same side then your SOL good old footage of young Linus, 

12 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

already noticing a better improvement, haven't yet seen a array fail like i did with IRST, was stuck with IRST as the newer options i knew little about but with likes of Craft Computing helps ease the mind and lot of work spent hours getting ZFS to finally work, two different YT'ers but now i am trying to figure out how to enable remote access from several states away incase i go on vacation or something or spend $400 for an 8tb Sata SSD 

1 hour ago, tjrose91 said:

already noticing a better improvement, haven't yet seen a array fail like i did with IRST, was stuck with IRST as the newer options i knew little about but with likes of Craft Computing helps ease the mind and lot of work spent hours getting ZFS to finally work, two different YT'ers but now i am trying to figure out how to enable remote access from several states away incase i go on vacation or something or spend $400 for an 8tb Sata SSD 

If this is personal use you can use a VPN to connect back to it if you just need the data. 

I have a vm on mine running guacamole that I have open to the internet protected with cloud flare so I can remote into any machine at home from any other machine anywhere that has internet and a web browser. 

That works pretty well for what I need but not as nice as a full VPN. 

My current project is setting up opnsense so my VPN can be connected over https ports so it is harder to be blocked as a few locations I visit block standard VPN connections. 

i like the idea of the extra two drives being used as parity , the Raid 10 from what i understand any two can fail but if its on the same side then your SOL good old footage of young Linus, 

With 4 drives, RAID Z2 and RAID 10 have the same resiliency. You can only afford to lose 2 drives in both of these options...

You should never see an array fail.... ZFS is extremely resilient, arrays "failing" is not common, and the only way for this to happen would be:

Bad SATA controller

Bad SATA cables (more then 2 if you are using Z2)

2 failed drives (again, if using Z2)

Totally fried PC from lightning, flood, fire, etc

For remote connection, look into wireguard. Once connected to the VPN, you will be able to use your network shares as if you were at home on your LAN.

On 9/10/2023 at 1:24 AM, LIGISTX said:

With 4 drives, RAID Z2 and RAID 10 have the same resiliency. You can only afford to lose 2 drives in both of these options...

You should never see an array fail.... ZFS is extremely resilient, arrays "failing" is not common, and the only way for this to happen would be:

Bad SATA controller

Bad SATA cables (more then 2 if you are using Z2)

2 failed drives (again, if using Z2)

Totally fried PC from lightning, flood, fire, etc

For remote connection, look into wireguard. Once connected to the VPN, you will be able to use your network shares as if you were at home on your LAN.

something with IRST and the drives that i had doesn't like something wanted to keep windows due to easier to navigate but once i got Truenas up and running not as hard now been keeping the NAS on 24/7 as the final stress test ensuring that the NAS array doesn't fail but i may get a wifi outlet as my Mobo doesnt support wake on lan wanted something so i can turn on the PC remotely but looking into wifi outlets so i can remotely power off the outlet and turn it back on as i have the Mobo set to always on

3 hours ago, tjrose91 said:

something with IRST and the drives that i had doesn't like something wanted to keep windows due to easier to navigate but once i got Truenas up and running not as hard now been keeping the NAS on 24/7 as the final stress test ensuring that the NAS array doesn't fail but i may get a wifi outlet as my Mobo doesnt support wake on lan wanted something so i can turn on the PC remotely but looking into wifi outlets so i can remotely power off the outlet and turn it back on as i have the Mobo set to always on

A ZFS array is not going to randomly fail, if there are issues, its either a user error with the setup, or a hardware issue. I suspect you won't end up seeing any issues or failures 🙂

19 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

A ZFS array is not going to randomly fail, if there are issues, its either a user error with the setup, or a hardware issue. I suspect you won't end up seeing any issues or failures 🙂

My first one is running on new old stock drives that were pulled from servers and consumer hardware for over 6 years now and still running strong. Seems to be a very stable os.

On 9/12/2023 at 8:22 PM, m9x3mos said:

My first one is running on new old stock drives that were pulled from servers and consumer hardware for over 6 years now and still running strong. Seems to be a very stable os.

On 9/12/2023 at 1:13 AM, LIGISTX said:

So far two days with no disk errors every time with IRST one of the drives always fails to initialize  

27 minutes ago, tjrose91 said:

So far two days with no disk errors every time with IRST one of the drives always fails to initialize  

You should go many years without issues… again, ZFS is not going to be the issue you run into. If you start getting errors it’s going to be harddrive issues, bad wire, or bad controller. It won’t be due to ZFS. 

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

You should go many years without issues… again, ZFS is not going to be the issue you run into. If you start getting errors it’s going to be harddrive issues, bad wire, or bad controller. It won’t be due to ZFS. 

thats good its a new OS and still refence YT vids when a connection is lost or to start a new one