256GB blu-ray discs

jmaster299

Pioneer has developed a 256GB capacity Blu-ray disc, and says they are already working on a 512GB capacity. There have been other large capacity discs released, but they don't use the Blu-ray standard. Pioneer says by sticking with Blu-ray, the new drives that are needed will be cheaper to make since they are based on existing hardware. This also means backwards compatibility for current Blu-ray discs.

http://www.eteknix.com/256gb-blu-ray-disc-created-by-pioneer-512gb-in-development/

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

What effect would this have on the already very high quality for digital media that Blu-Ray is capable of?

Can store 4K content

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

Can store 4K content

That plus like the article says, it gives people a reasonable amount of storage space to make physical backups of things like their SSD.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

They should just give up, and move to USB-sticks or SD-cards.. they're already larger capacity, easier to sell, easier to use, and smaller etc.

Optical is already outdated, no-one wants optical any more.

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

They should just give up, and move to USB-sticks or SD-cards.. they're already larger capacity, cheaper to make, easier to sell, easier to use, and smaller etc.

I completely agree with you, but phasing out optical media completely is a huge task. It exists everywhere.

I would have preferred Windows on a USB drive, as well as motherboard drivers, etc. Ironically, I've seen barebones kits with no optical drive come with a drivers DVD. 

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

They should just give up, and move to USB-sticks or SD-cards.. they're already larger capacity, cheaper to make, easier to sell, easier to use, and smaller etc.

Except for the majority of consumers who still purchase their movies on disc. And no, an USB stick is not cheaper to make than a disc, which literally costs pennies to make. For cost and convenience, video media will still be sold in disc format for the foreseeable future. Also, with net neutrality being gutted, and the 4K format being such a large file size, streaming and digital storage are not an option for people who have large TV and movie libraries. 

Can a blueray player even output 4k? i thought that was what violet ray was for :S

Except for the majority of consumers who still purchase their movies on disc. And no, an USB stick is not cheaper to make than a disc, which literally costs pennies to make. For cost and convenience, video media will still be sold in disc format for the foreseeable future. Also, with net neutrality being gutted, and the 4K format being such a large file size, streaming and digital storage are not an option for people who have large TV and movie libraries. 

Actually, they're cheaper than the new-line production of the disc, but materials and older disc-types, no. The equipment required to produce the new discs, and the relevant equipment required to print on them, will total up in to a larger collective cost than the production of flash (and other relative materials) required for an equivalent size USB-stick or SD-card. Also, takes away the print and print-equipment costs as well. 

Large TV's and movie libraries can easily be an option, not only does it take less physical space, but all modern TV's have USB or SD-slots on them, so it's not like it's not capable of being deployed... at all in fact.

Can a blueray player even output 4k? i thought that was what violet ray was for :S

The blu-ray format can, meaning it's the same lazer that is being used. If you take the time to read the article, or even the summary I posted, it says new drives are required, but those drives will be cheaper to produce because they use the existing blu-ray format.

Actually, they're cheaper than the new-line production of the disc, but materials and older disc-types, no. The equipment required to produce the new discs, and the relevant equipment required to print on them, will total up in to a larger collective cost than the production of flash (and other relative materials) required for an equivalent size USB-stick or SD-card. Also, takes away the print and print-equipment costs as well. 

Large TV's and movie libraries can easily be an option, not only does it take less physical space, but all modern TV's have USB or SD-slots on them, so it's not like it's not capable of being deployed... at all in fact.

No, adding additional layers to the disc does not increase it's mass production cost to the point where a flash drive is cheaper. It is still cheaper, and much faster, to simply burn the same image tens of millions of times on to discs. They wouldn't be wasting time with the disc format if it wasn't still cheaper and faster.

Yes TVs can use flash drives, but that still doesn't change the fact that discs are more convenient for the average consumer. The ports for those USB sticks are often in locations that are not easy or convenient for people to reach, especially if the TV is mounted up on a wall. My kid can't even reach the TV in my apartment, but he can reach the blu-ray player and use the remote when he wants to watch something. He's supposed to climb a step ladder and turn the TV every time he wants to watch Iron Man??? I don't freaking think so. Disc media is not going anywhere, it's too important to too many people and tech companies and hollywood knows that.

They wouldn't be wasting time with the disc format if it wasn't still cheaper and faster.

ehm.. you do know there's a little thing that's called market dependency & influence? Those that make the equipment to play the media on, pay those that produce said media to keep making it, as it forces consumers to keep purchasing proprietary components/tech, all in all resulting in them staying in business. This is basic business, trust me when I say.. there's a reason why it's still being used, and it's NOT because it's better or cheaper to produce (not anymore at least, when the corresponding tech required to make new iterations of that media has to be upgraded/replaced regardless, every time a new iteration of it, is released).

You may think "hey it's just a disc, they already make those, and now they just print twice as many tracks on it". But, it's not as simple as that. If it was, we would have had it LONG ago.

«The fabrication process will always change with the change of the fabricated.»

ehm.. you do know there's a little thing that's called market dependency & influence? Those that make the equipment to play the media on, pay those that produce said media to keep making it, as it forces consumers to keep purchasing proprietary components/tech, all in all resulting in them staying in business. This is basic business, trust me when I say.. there's a reason why it's still being used, and it's NOT because it's better or cheaper to produce (not anymore at least, when the corresponding tech required to make new iterations of that media has to be upgraded/replaced regardless, every time a new iteration of it, is released).

You may think "hey it's just a disc, they already make those, and now they just print twice as many tracks on it". But, it's not as simple as that. If it was, we would have had it LONG ago.

«The fabrication process will always change with the change of the fabricated.»

Trust what you say when what you say is total nonsense? Nope, not gonna happen.

Let's look at prices for 256GB flash drives.

Corsair Flash Voyager: $254.99

PNY Turbo Flash Drive: $109.99 (Normally $149.99)

Kingston DataTraveler HyperX: $203.09

Do you still want to sit there and claim that it's cheaper to use a flash drive for these kinds of capacities???? Yeah, I didn't think so. Yes the production cost is far less, but manufacturing flash memory is still more expensive than mass producing discs.

Trust what you say when what you say is total nonsense? Nope, not gonna happen.

Let's look at prices for 256GB flash drives.

Corsair Flash Voyager: $254.99

PNY Turbo Flash Drive: $109.99 (Normally $149.99)

Kingston DataTraveler HyperX: $203.09

Do you still want to sit there and claim that it's cheaper to use a flash drive for these kinds of capacities???? Yeah, I didn't think so. Yes the production cost is far less, but manufacturing flash memory is still more expensive than mass producing discs.

And you honestly think that 4k discs will be less than $100? Not to mention the players you'd be required to buy. The reason why sticks are priced at such levels, is because they take immense profit from them. The actual production cost etc, is around $20 (at most). The nand-flash product market is a hell of a pool of money for the companies, don't think for a second that they won't do the same to discs capable of 4k.

And you honestly think that 4k discs will be less than $100? Not to mention the players you'd be required to buy. The reason why sticks are priced at such levels, is because they take immense profit from them. The actual production cost etc, is around $20 (at most). The nand-flash product market is a hell of a pool of money for the companies, don't think for a second that they won't do the same to discs capable of 4k.

Are you high? $100 per disc, yet 256GB flash drives only cost $20 to make???????????? I'm done, you're completely helpless and a total waste of time. Adding the additional layers requires R&D costs, but production will not increase by over 10,000% like you are claiming. These numbers are from 2008, and have been significantly reduced since then, but even 6 years ago a movie studio could have 10,000 Blu-ray copies of a movie made for just $2.75 per disc. That's not just a blank disc, but a disc with the movie burned on to it. Yet you want to claim that adding additional data layers to that disc is going to drive the price up to $100???????

Again, that is the total production cost, which includes a lot more than just the disc. Yes the players will cost money, but that is a one time cost. Compared to shelling out $100 or more per movie if they use flash memory.

PLEASE make 1TB bluray discs

come on

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Are you high? $100 per disc, yet 256GB flash drives only cost $20 to make???????????? I'm done, you're completely helpless and a total waste of time. Adding the additional layers requires R&D costs, but production will not increase by over 10,000% like you are claiming. These numbers are from 2008, and have been significantly reduced since then, but even 6 years ago a movie studio could have 10,000 Blu-ray copies of a movie made for just $2.75 per disc. That's not just a blank disc, but a disc with the movie burned on to it. Yet you want to claim that adding additional data layers to that disc is going to drive the price up to $100???????

Again, that is the total production cost, which includes a lot more than just the disc. Yes the players will cost money, but that is a one time cost. Compared to shelling out $100 or more per movie if they use flash memory.

Not $100 production per disc haha, actual sell-price.. or at least spread out in to the required players of said discs, because you can bet your ass you'll have to buy a new 4k-disc player, and won't be able to use the already-deployed bluray ones.

Not $100 production per disc haha, actual sell-price.. or at least spread out in to the required players of said discs, because you can bet your ass you'll have to buy a new 4k-disc player, and won't be able to use the already-deployed bluray ones.

You really need to learn to read. The article says it will require new drives, my summary says it will require new drives, and my last post said you will need a new drive. But again that is a one time cost, and it will not equal $100, unless you only ever buy 1 movie or something. Every disc you buy brings that total cost down. But using flash drives will mean that cost will always be inflated and will never decrease. Also, as I already pointed out, using the USB port on a TV is not a valid or convenient option for most people. It is just not a valid format for home video media, it costs more money and is less convenient to use. Get that through your head.

You really need to learn to read. The article says it will require new drives, my summary says it will require new drives, and my last post said you will need a new drive. But again that is a one time cost, and it will not equal $100, unless you only ever buy 1 movie or something. Every disc you buy brings that total cost down. But using flash drives will mean that cost will always be inflated and will never decrease. Also, as I already pointed out, using the USB port on a TV is not a valid or convenient option for most people. It is just not a valid format for home video media, it costs more money and is less convenient to use. Get that through your skull.

Dude, calm down, you're posting aggressively. Mods don't like that, so I suggest you stop it.

And how is it in any way, shape, or form, not a valid format? It doesn't cost more money to have corresponding tech on both sides of the specter, as the tech is already available and wide-spread as far as USB-goes. Using USB is about as convenient of an option as it gets, it's not any less convenient than putting a freaking disc in to a player, and it won't get damaged over time from scratching and overall wear, in the same way a disc would. Durability and convenience favors the USB.. and if you look at the price-tag for the 4k player coming from Sony, that's $700, then you have the added cost of each disc. USB easily covers that cost many times over.

Dude, calm down, you're posting aggressively. Mods don't like that, so I suggest you stop it.

And how is it in any way, shape, or form, not a valid format? It doesn't cost more money to have corresponding tech on both sides of the specter, as the tech is already available and wide-spread as far as USB-goes. Using USB is about as convenient of an option as it gets, it's not any less convenient than putting a freaking disc in to a player, and it won't get damaged over time from scratching and overall wear, in the same way a disc would. Durability and convenience favors the USB.. and if you look at the price-tag for the 4k player coming from Sony, that's $700, then you have the added cost of each disc. USB easily covers that cost many times over.

USB is only convenient when sitting in front of a computer. As I've pointed out over and over again, it is not convenient for use with TVs. They are often mounted out of reach in general, and the USB ports are not in convenient locations to begin with. They are also more expensive to produce. While it may be a valid option for distributing something like Windows, it is not a valid format for mass producing millions and millions of movies and TV shows.

Well guessing from the fact that the internet will become really really crappy thanks to America we will probably be needing these to mail everything to one another. Instead of using Steam to download your games you will need to get someone in sweden to download all the files for you and then they will mail it to you. Want to stream a film over Netflix looks like you will need to rent the DVD. Thanks America, thanks Obama.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

If anyone still buys games on disks, you would now only need one disk for everything = fewer wasted materials (:

Well guessing from the fact that the internet will become really really crappy thanks to America we will probably be needing these to mail everything to one another. Instead of using Steam to download your games you will need to get someone in sweden to download all the files for you and then they will mail it to you. Want to stream a film over Netflix looks like you will need to rent the DVD. Thanks America, thanks Obama.

I swear this is just complete BS, i'm seriously consider moving over to somewhere where they have Google Fiber. 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Don't like what I have to say? Block me or get lost. I have you blocked now because you are beyond help. So don't waste your breath.

USB is only convenient when sitting in front of a computer. As I've pointed out over and over again, it is not convenient for use with TVs. They are often mounted out of reach in general, and the USB ports are not in convenient locations to begin with. They are also more expensive to produce. While it may be a valid option for distributing something like Windows, it is not a valid format for mass producing millions and millions of movies and TV shows.

What on earth are you talking about? I had no opinion on whether or not I liked or didn't like what you had to say. I was saying you were posting aggressively and being rude, and that mods have a tendency to dislike it when people do that.

On the actual topic, you're clearly ill informed if you believe you can only put USB-related paraphernalia in the rear of a TV, as most TV's nowadays come with side-ports. Neither is it problematic for mass production, but a more compatible platform for such, would be something like SD-cards.

You're clearly on an anger-fit, so I'll leave it here, as you seem to be the only one in the thread disagreeing on the subject.