Should I upgrade my current build I'm using or start off with a new build on a new platform/chipset?

Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
2 minutes ago, Syze00 said:

Maybe I didn't write it correctly/misunderstanding.  I already have an AIO cooler.  I figure while I'm inside the box I was gonna repaste it and do a bit of house cleaning.

Yep, it slipped my eyes. My bad.
If I were you, get a 5800X3D and a RTX 4070ti. You have an HX850 that is a very decent PSU even though it might have a few years on it.
That is what I would do.

As @IkeaGnome mentions above, get some faster RAM.
This will be a very good system even in 2023, the 5800X3D still kicks proper ass 🙂

Budget (including currency):maybe 1-2k USD 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I play 1080p games with an Nvidia G-Sync monitor (240hz refresh rate) and have a 2nd 60hz monitor for other things, video streaming like watching things.  I'm not a streamer.  Also Discord/socializing and I also mess around with music production.  The music production is more of a hobby and not critical.  Its just fun to do

Other details 

CPU Ryzen 7 3700X Cooled with an AIO

Mobo MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon (PCI-E 4.0)

Graphics EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

32GB DDR4 Corsair Max bandwidth        DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz)
Memory module Part number   CMW32GX4M4D3600C18

PSU is a Corsair HX850

So I've been getting an itchy finger to upgrade some PC stuff.  I picked up a 2TB NVME Samsung drive for 79 bucks so I'm going to have to go in to install it and I will repaste my CPU.  I've really been considering getting an rtx 4070 ti also.

I was also taking a look at what was available for the AM4 socket.  I hear good things about the Ryzen 5800X3D for gaming but its about $324 currently. I could get the 5800x without the extra cache for a bit over 200 but they are still pulling more wattage (105 watts vs my 65W CPU currently)

So I ask the council.  Is it worth it to throw money at an older platform, or should I possibly just go with a new motherboard?   I would have to buy new memory also so that is a factor, but I would now have access to the AM5 platform.

I would like to hear different opinions since I might not realize something that you guys would bring to my attention.

Thank you in advance.

Are you near a Microcenter?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, Syze00 said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I play 1080p games with an Nvidia G-Sync monitor (240hz refresh rate) and have a 2nd 60hz monitor for other things, video streaming like watching things.  I'm not a streamer.  Also Discord/socializing and I also mess around with music production.  The music production is more of a hobby and not critical.  Its just fun to do

Other details 

PSU is a Corsair HX850

So I've been getting an itchy finger to upgrade some PC stuff.  I picked up a 2TB NVME Samsung drive for 79 bucks so I'm going to have to go in to install it and I will repaste my CPU.  I've really been considering getting an rtx 4070 ti also.

I was also taking a look at what was available for the AM4 socket.  I hear good things about the Ryzen 5800X3D for gaming but its about $324 currently. I could get the 5800x without the extra cache for a bit over 200 but they are still pulling more wattage (105 watts vs my 65W CPU currently)

So I ask the council.  Is it worth it to throw money at an older platform, or should I possibly just go with a new motherboard?   I would have to buy new memory also so that is a factor, but I would now have access to the AM5 platform.

I would like to hear different opinions since I might not realize something that you guys would bring to my attention.

Thank you in advance.

A Ryzen 5800X3D and a 4070ti would be a very nice upgrade for sure.  For 2k you can absolutely do a full platform change but I am guessing you want to keep prices as low as possible?

10 minutes ago, Syze00 said:

Other details 

PSU is a Corsair HX850

Thank you in advance.

Don't think you should upgrade to another AM4 board

5800X3D all day for gaming, it doesn't need more power than a 3700X, is a bit hotter but any decent AIO will be ok

Or upgrade to AM5...

Re GPU something like either a 6800XT or 4070 would be an huge improvement, and anything better isn't needed at 1080p

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, Hinjima said:

A Ryzen 5800X3D and a 4070ti would be a very nice upgrade for sure.  For 2k you can absolutely do a full platform change but I am guessing you want to keep prices as low as possible?

Yeah.  I just don't want to waste money.  I purchased the x470 mainboard right when the x570 was coming out because I've been hit with the early adopter tax too many times and thought I would play it safe this time around.  the x570 caught on really fast though....

Just now, PDifolco said:

Don't think you should upgrade to another AM4 board

5800X3D all day for gaming, it doesn't need more power than a 3700X, is a bit hotter but any decent AIO will be ok

Or upgrade to AM5...

The Peerless Assassin SE should keep the 5800X3D cool wouldnt it? No need to go out and buy an AIO.

1 minute ago, Syze00 said:

Yeah.  I just don't want to waste money.  I purchased the x470 mainboard right when the x570 was coming out because I've been hit with the early adopter tax too many times and thought I would play it safe this time around.  the x570 caught on really fast though....

The motherboard you have is perfectly capable to run the 5800X3D, just do a BIOS update and you are good to go 🙂

The Peerless Assassin SE should keep the 5800X3D cool wouldnt it? No need to go out and buy an AIO.

Sure but OP said he has an AIO already...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Sure but OP said he has an AIO already...

You are right, that slipped my eyes.

Maybe I didn't write it correctly/misunderstanding.  I already have an AIO cooler.  I figure while I'm inside the box I was gonna repaste it and do a bit of house cleaning.

Something to note in all this, it might be worth getting RAM even if you stay with AM4. 5xxx CPUs like to have RAM around 3200/3600 mhz and it makes a decent performance difference.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, Syze00 said:

Yep, it slipped my eyes. My bad.
If I were you, get a 5800X3D and a RTX 4070ti. You have an HX850 that is a very decent PSU even though it might have a few years on it.
That is what I would do.

As @IkeaGnome mentions above, get some faster RAM.
This will be a very good system even in 2023, the 5800X3D still kicks proper ass 🙂

Another thing I think I made a mistake on regarding my build is I picked the wrong memory I'm using.  I mean it still works but I don't think its a QVL part.  I think I got the intel version of the memory and didn't notice it until it was too late

7 minutes ago, Syze00 said:

Another thing I think I made a mistake on regarding my build is I picked the wrong memory I'm using.  I mean it still works but I don't think its a QVL part.  I think I got the intel version of the memory and didn't notice it until it was too late

1200 bucks and you got yourself one heck of a fast gaming machine 🙂  The other parts ( no cost ) are owned / placeholders.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LFmjyg

So, is ASUS graphics cards good/reliable?  I've started my gaming career with an EVGA GTX 560ti and all I've known is EVGA.  I wouldn't mind paying an extra 50-100 on a card that I know I'm going to keep for years (still rockin the 1070) if its proven to be a better built card but I just don't know what's junk anymore.  I've heard from friends that Gigabyte uses more copper than any, but I don't have any experience with them.  I keep hardware as long as possible.  I'm 90% sure I'm going with Nvidia still but team red is def doing the right things in my book.

I was really pleased when they released that new tech that will run on all older cards to help frame rates.  I think Nvidia saw that as a real problem since they released something similar almost immediately.  I will say the reason I said rtx 4070 ti is because it gives me access to some of the features/tools Nvidia has out there that wasn't supposed to be available for lower cards.

So, is the memory I currently have running not a good fit for AMD and thats why you have the other memory?  Also, I don't care about RGB at all.  If anything less RGB is better IMO.  I know thats blasphemy to some.  

12 minutes ago, Syze00 said:

So, is ASUS graphics cards good/reliable?  I've started my gaming career with an EVGA GTX 560ti and all I've known is EVGA.  I wouldn't mind paying an extra 50-100 on a card that I know I'm going to keep for years (still rockin the 1070) if its proven to be a better built card but I just don't know what's junk anymore.  I've heard from friends that Gigabyte uses more copper than any, but I don't have any experience with them.  I keep hardware as long as possible.  I'm 90% sure I'm going with Nvidia still but team red is def doing the right things in my book.

I was really pleased when they released that new tech that will run on all older cards to help frame rates.  I think Nvidia saw that as a real problem since they released something similar almost immediately.  I will say the reason I said rtx 4070 ti is because it gives me access to some of the features/tools Nvidia has out there that wasn't supposed to be available for lower cards.

So, is the memory I currently have running not a good fit for AMD and thats why you have the other memory?  Also, I don't care about RGB at all.  If anything less RGB is better IMO.  I know thats blasphemy to some.  

ASUS is a reliable GPU brand and their TUF line is not bad at all.  The ASUS TUF 4070ti will lasts as long as any other brand like MSI, Gigabyte, Gainward, Palit, PNY, Inno3d, Zotac ++  Any 4070ti's from these brand will perform very equal to one another in terms of performance, dual fan cards will of course run a little hotter and louder for the most part.
Fun Fact, Palit is actually the largest GPU manufacturer in the world!  Great brand.

The memory you have is very slow and Ryzen 5000 CPU's really love fast memory that is why I picked faster memory 🙂
The Corsair RAM is very reliable and no extra nonsense like RGB or extremely fancy heatspreaders, it just works.

Timed video from TechTesters here with a few 4070ti's tested, you can see they barely make any difference.
The only noticeable difference is the noise levels. The TUF - GamingPro from Palit and MSI Suprim X all performs great there. The Suprim X is an expensive version and the Gaming X Trio from MSI will perform equal.

3 hours ago, Syze00 said:

with an Nvidia G-Sync monitor (240hz refresh rate)

Which one in specific? As far as i know some G-Sync monitor also supports VESA VRR which would translate to AMD Freesync. If that is the case we can go AMD GPU and get 64GB of RAM which would be a massive upgrade for music production as those can be a massive RAM hog.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

19 hours ago, SorryBella said:

Which one in specific? As far as i know some G-Sync monitor also supports VESA VRR which would translate to AMD Freesync. If that is the case we can go AMD GPU and get 64GB of RAM which would be a massive upgrade for music production as those can be a massive RAM hog.

LG IPS 27GN750B.  I'm also trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong with trying to get into BIOS.  I wanted to get in and see what settings I have but I'm noticing that I just don't even get a display for it.  Does BIOS access not work with DP?

2 hours ago, Syze00 said:

LG IPS 27GN750B.  I'm also trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong with trying to get into BIOS.  I wanted to get in and see what settings I have but I'm noticing that I just don't even get a display for it.  Does BIOS access not work with DP?

Displayport isnt enabled on all port until the driver is loaded. Try other port if you havent already. If you use a dongle, dont. Ive seen it being an issue on POST.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

4 hours ago, SorryBella said:

Displayport isnt enabled on all port until the driver is loaded. Try other port if you havent already. If you use a dongle, dont. Ive seen it being an issue on POST.

I found out that there was a firmware update on my card.  Nvidia had a tool released to fix the issue.  I did stumble upon a workaround that only used one HDMI cable and one monitor since the issue was only for display ports.  I'm glad it was an easy fix.

• 1 month later...

Well i did upgrade upgrade the 3700x to the 5800X3D and went from DDR4 memory that was 4 8GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO to just 2 32GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX non RGB.  RGB isn't really a big deal for me. 

If I had the tower in a prominent location where everyone would see it then I might go with a themed look but I really just wanted a bit more performance.   

I went with a standard MSI RTX 4070 Ventus 3x.  No Ti version but I did manage to score a sweet 2TB M.2 NVME Samsung drive for 79 USD that went into an empty PCIe slot with an enclosure.  I know its not using all the performance an NVME drive is capable of outside the m.2 slot, but I don't want to deal with moving around partitions, data and potentially dealing with a self inflicted headache.  It's good enough for me!

Also, no overclocking at all.  I did redo the fan wiring to take advantage of the x52 Kraken AIO's daisy chain that was available as well as installing a 240mm fan I had still in box.  It makes handling fan control so much easier esp if your using MSI Center.  I mean I suppose I could use the NZXT CAM software, but since I have a lot of MSI products I figured I would let the MSI software handle it.  So far so good.

No overclocking was done and this is the result using the same benchmark.  Also, I now have some spare parts that could be used if I decide to build another box or an unforeseen accident happens.  You can never have too many PC's in the house or spares.  Same goes with proper USB chargers and cables.

This is what I've accomplished.  If I decide to build another Intel system I will have a pretty decent Ryzen box on hand.  

Thanks everyone for the advice and insight

Timespy Results screen.png

Speed Way Results screen.png

Old vs New Time Spy.png

Timespy GTX1070 3700X.png