Beer

Dedayog

Moderator note: this conversation was split out from an existing topic, in which it was hideously off topic

On 8/29/2023 at 8:56 PM, Middcore said:

Everything is getting worse.

Not beer.  Beer is getting better all the time 🙂

Edited by colonel_mortis

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

7 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

That is definitely true! The beer renaissance is still underrated. 

17 minutes ago, Nowooski said:

That is definitely true! The beer renaissance is still underrated. 

I vote we drastically swap topics to beer immediately  

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

3 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Hot take: not really a beer guy, most mainstream beer tastes like dishwater smells. If you have a suggestion for a good beer I'm all ears. Current tier list for me is Shocktop, Blue Moon, plain Bud (if no other options). Just really hate the taste of hops.

7 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Hot take: not really a beer guy, most mainstream beer tastes like dishwater smells. If you have a suggestion for a good beer I'm all ears. Current tier list for me is Shocktop, Blue Moon, plain Bud (if no other options). Just really hate the taste of hops.

I remember seeing a lot of wine recommendation quizzes a few years ago. They didn't seem great and were mostly marketing drek for wine-of-the-month clubs. Do you think it's possible to give good flavor recommendations without the ability to taste?  

8 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

You might be a Sour guy - tried any sour beers? They vary a lot so I wouldn't say if you've had one you've had all

14 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

BeerLinked anyone?

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

1 minute ago, Nowooski said:

I remember seeing a lot of wine recommendation quizzes a few years ago. They didn't seem great and were mostly marketing drek for wine-of-the-month clubs. Do you think it's possible to give good flavor recommendations without the ability to taste?  

I think knowing preferred profiles can help with being a guide on your own adventure. Kinda like a treasure map of riddles.

Just now, ItTakes2ToMango said:

You might be a Sour guy - tried any sour beers? They vary a lot so I wouldn't say if you've had one you've had all

Ooooo I do like sour things. Sour apple beer? 

Just now, BiotechBen said:

I think knowing preferred profiles can help with being a guide on your own adventure. Kinda like a treasure map of riddles.

Ooooo I do like sour things. Sour apple beer? 

Wine is supposedly incredibly complex at a flavor profile level. Truly need different kinds of food in order to find good pairings for a full experience

Sour apple doesn't sound like my kind of party but there are TONS of sour beers out there in just about every flavor I can think of

2 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Wine is supposedly incredibly complex at a flavor profile level. Truly need different kinds of food in order to find good pairings for a full experience

My great uncle always brings different cheeses to family occasions, and he brings this wine cheese, and dear god is is good. Same with this like 30 year cave aged ultimate sharp cheddar. 

I have another family member who likes the driest wine ever, like it could be marketed as sugar-free it's that dry. I'm a semi-sweet red kinda guy, or a nice riesling. 

Just now, BiotechBen said:

My great uncle always brings different cheeses to family occasions, and he brings this wine cheese, and dear god is is good. Same with this like 30 year cave aged ultimate sharp cheddar. 

I have another family member who likes the driest wine ever, like it could be marketed as sugar-free it's that dry. I'm a semi-sweet red kinda guy, or a nice riesling. 

My father tells me of his days in restaurant management throughout the 80s-90s. At one point, he was asked to if he wanted to go on this wine tasting TRIP where him and some other management/execs went and tasted wine and stuff at vineyards for a week.

Anyways - they had them tasting all kinds of crazy stuff, including dirt, after various wines. My father claims dirt has never tasted so good - so apparently, at least I believe, wine can drastically change the profile of other things you taste with it

21 hours ago, ImAlsoRan said:

BeerLinked anyone?

Might be good to start with Short Drink-It first to test the audience before jumping into a full production length upload schedule.

Sit down, crack it open, and thoughts on the spot

Labs testing with the atmosphere and anechoic chambers, robotic arm opening to measure cap or tab force/consistency.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

22 hours ago, Dedayog said:

spacer.png

[/spoiler/

21 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

I also hate the taste of hops. My go-to beers are Stella Artois and Heineken, both light refreshing lagers with no hops taste. 

Also, yeah, I used to use Wirecutter a bunch for reviews and lately I noticed they seem to just re-publish the same articles from years prior onto their "current" recommendations. If you look at some "new" articles, they still recommend 2-3 year old products that have been surpassed in quality since.

7 hours ago, BeefSupreme said:

I also hate the taste of hops. My go-to beers are Stella Artois and Heineken, both light refreshing lagers with no hops taste. 

Don't even get me started on Stella, maybe I just have trauma from it, and that's why I hate it (POS family member loved it). I should def try Heineken, I e heard good things about it from people who only casually like beer.

I've split this out into its own topic, since it was really not a good fit for its original home. @Dedayog feel free to edit the OP into a better start if you like (or don't if you don't like!)

HTTP/2 203

I grew up drinking Yuengling, still enjoy that as my go to cheep beer.  If I am out somewhere that has a higher end selection I enjoy a Belgian Tripel or maybe an Irish Red.

On 8/29/2023 at 4:44 PM, BiotechBen said:

Ooooo I do like sour things.

You may want to try wheat beers.

For more plain but good lagers, you may look into Czech pilsener beers, e.g. Urqell or the Czech Budweiser if you're in Europe (the American brand, which is completely different, got the trademark oversees so you won't find the Czech there).

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You may want to try wheat beers.

For more plain but good lagers, you may look into Czech pilsener beers, e.g. Urqell or the Czech Budweiser if you're in Europe (the American brand, which is completely different, got the trademark oversees so you won't find the Czech there).

I generally tolerate wheat beers pretty well, Shocktop and Blue Moon being my preferred ones. Really been into ciders and tart mixed drink/cocktails. 

I'm a bit weird with beer. I either will drink extremely cheap, like Rainier, or go really nice and get a good stout.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?