2070 Super to 4070ti

8-Bit Ninja

Evening all, 

I've been out the hardware loop for a little while. Looking at upgrading from a 2070 super to a 4070ti. Is this a sensible move, is there better value to be had from the AMD side or a difference Nvidia GPU? 

Lastly any brand recommendations, I've always gone with gigabyte and had no issues, but again opinions welcome

Thanks in advanced  

you still running the 6700k?  I wouldn't bother until you've upped that.  The best way to check is lower all your settings and resolution to the lowest.  release the load on the GPU then run your game.  Your framerate at this point will be as high as it ever will be. regardless of what GPU you're running

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

3 minutes ago, ChonkerFox said:

you still running the 6700k?  I wouldn't bother until you've upped that.  The best way to check is lower all your settings and resolution to the lowest.  release the load on the GPU then run your game.  Your framerate at this point will be as high as it ever will be. regardless of what GPU you're running

Sorry no, i'm on a 5800x now 

4 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Sorry no, i'm on a 5800x now 

ah.  you should get some good frames then.  still worth taking the load off your 2070 super and giving a few games a blast at 720p so you can see your 'CPU' frames.  You can also download a tool from intel called present mon.  GN did a piece on it a couple of days ago.  it gives you a metric on how 'long' your GPU is actually busy for or if it's waiting around for the CPU to do the rest of the work

edit:  iirc Present Mon isn't an intel tool it's open source.  but intel provide a version of it that includes the GPU Busy metric

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

I would think about the 7900xt the value being in 8gb more vram for less money/similar (in uk)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia-graphics-cards/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-ti

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd-graphics-cards/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-graphics-cards

Looking at these prices the only reason to go 4070ti is for DLSS or RT

I would probably avoid gigabyte , I'm sure there 4070ti is fine but they left a sour taste in my mouth after they refused to rma cracked pcbs on there high end cards which was causing by a design oversight.

That being said if you didn't buy from company's that are at times being unscrupulous then you probably wouldn't be able to buy anything.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

I think it depends on where you are regionally. I got my 4070 Ti for over 300 cheaper than the cheapest 7900XT.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14