PC Rebooting itself for Some reason during gaming, and I can't figure out why

Fuzzyy

So, this issue has been happening over the last 8 months, and it is very annyoing. I cannot play a competitive game with my friends anymore... This issue become more frequent when I upgraded my Ram and SSD 8 months ago. (before that it happened like 3-4 times in whole 2 years of its lifetime)

Problem: When I am playing a game, everything gets frozen, and my pc reboots(can't see a blue screen or anytihng). This happens especially in Overwatch 2, where I can't even play a single game, it just crashes in 5-10 mins after launching the game, and in Apex Legends and CSGO it crashes in between 30mins to an hour(also experienced this on It Takes Two). For non-hardware intensive games(Cs:Source, l4d2) or just light web browsing/using windows, I have never experienced this problem. The temps are also in control, for CPU it is reaching max 75C and for GPU 67C during hardware intensive games. 

For troubleshooting, I have tried:

• Restoring every BIOS setting to default, disabled DOCP
  • Updating to the latest BIOS
  • Reinstalled Windows 11 many times
  • Reinstalled Windows on a different SSD
  • Updated Graphic Drivers
  • Uninstalled any RGB software(turns out this is a thing, according to Bitwit)

Below are my PC Specs:

• Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Asus B550-I Rog Strix
  • 2x16GB 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX Ram
  • EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070
  • Corsair SF600 Platinum
  • Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
  • Noctua NH-L12S
  • Case: FormD T1

My findings so far:

• I belive this issue can be caused by 3 components: Ram, SSD or GPU
  • For RAM, I have disabled DOCP, and it did not work. I don't know how to make sure it is caused by RAM or not
  • For the SSD, I have tried reinstalling Windows 11 on my older SSD(WD SN750) and it was good at first, but the issue started happening again a week later. I made sure that my new SSD(980 PRO) is getting enough cooling(I have a top down cooler, so it is getting direct airflow, so I don't think SSD is overheating).
  • For the GPU, I have an intresting story: I lent it to my friend a year ago, and apperantly he tripped over the HDMI cable, breaking the HDMI port(no video outpuit anymore...), and this is only physical damage it took. The port does not look broken from the outside, but it does not work.
  • I moved/shaked my case around to see if something loose was causing the problem, nothing happened.

Any idea what the cause is, or how can I find/fix it? Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Laptop: 2020 M1 Macbook Air 8/256

1 hour ago, Fuzzyy said:
  • EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070
  • Corsair SF600 Platinum

I would at least have a 650W non SFF PSU for a 3070, with all the transient spikes, going with SFF means you need higher capacity than needed. Besides, 600W is barely the minimum requirement for 3070, Nvidia suggest a 650W PSU.

And the fact that it happens during gaming, it only make sense that the PSU just gets tripped by the transient spikes of the GPU.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

1 hour ago, Fuzzyy said:

So, this issue has been happening over the last 8 months, and it is very annyoing. I cannot play a competitive game with my friends anymore... This issue become more frequent when I upgraded my Ram and SSD 8 months ago. (before that it happened like 3-4 times in whole 2 years of its lifetime)

Problem: When I am playing a game, everything gets frozen, and my pc reboots(can't see a blue screen or anytihng). This happens especially in Overwatch 2, where I can't even play a single game, it just crashes in 5-10 mins after launching the game, and in Apex Legends and CSGO it crashes in between 30mins to an hour(also experienced this on It Takes Two). For non-hardware intensive games(Cs:Source, l4d2) or just light web browsing/using windows, I have never experienced this problem. The temps are also in control, for CPU it is reaching max 75C and for GPU 67C during hardware intensive games. 

For troubleshooting, I have tried:

• Restoring every BIOS setting to default, disabled DOCP
  • Updating to the latest BIOS
  • Reinstalled Windows 11 many times
  • Reinstalled Windows on a different SSD
  • Updated Graphic Drivers
  • Uninstalled any RGB software(turns out this is a thing, according to Bitwit)

Below are my PC Specs:

• Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Asus B550-I Rog Strix
  • 2x16GB 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX Ram
  • EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070
  • Corsair SF600 Platinum
  • Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
  • Noctua NH-L12S
  • Case: FormD T1

My findings so far:

• I belive this issue can be caused by 3 components: Ram, SSD or GPU
  • For RAM, I have disabled DOCP, and it did not work. I don't know how to make sure it is caused by RAM or not
  • For the SSD, I have tried reinstalling Windows 11 on my older SSD(WD SN750) and it was good at first, but the issue started happening again a week later. I made sure that my new SSD(980 PRO) is getting enough cooling(I have a top down cooler, so it is getting direct airflow, so I don't think SSD is overheating).
  • For the GPU, I have an intresting story: I lent it to my friend a year ago, and apperantly he tripped over the HDMI cable, breaking the HDMI port(no video outpuit anymore...), and this is only physical damage it took. The port does not look broken from the outside, but it does not work.
  • I moved/shaked my case around to see if something loose was causing the problem, nothing happened.

Any idea what the cause is, or how can I find/fix it? Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.

As said above, try undervolting the card to try to prevent higher power spikes and see if that helps. Try deleting GPU drivers with DDU and re-installing. Try one ram stick in each slot.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

8 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

I would at least have a 650W non SFF PSU for a 3070, with all the transient spikes, going with SFF means you need higher capacity than needed. Besides, 600W is barely the minimum requirement for 3070, Nvidia suggest a 650W PSU.

And the fact that it happens during gaming, it only make sense that the PSU just gets tripped by the transient spikes of the GPU.

8 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

As said above, try undervolting the card to try to prevent higher power spikes and see if that helps. Try deleting GPU drivers with DDU and re-installing. Try one ram stick in each slot.

I highly doubt it is because of the PSU, some people even ran 3080 with this PSU with a more power hungry cpu. And I have used the same system for over 2 years, and did not have an issue at all before. I also run my card with an undervolt as well, but it did not work. Here is a video of optimum tech that also pushed me to get the SF600:

8 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

one ram stick in each slot.

I haven't tried this before, so will try it this weekend definitely.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X - GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 ULTRA - Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I - Ram: Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz - CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S - PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum - SSDs: WD Black SN750 500GB w/ EKWB Heatsink - Case: FormD T1

Well, based on the troubleshooting you have done, it points to hardware issue. And the most obvious one seems to be the PSU.

The only way to be sure is to swap out each part to pinpoint the issue, and if it were me, I'd first try the PSU.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

6 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Well, based on the troubleshooting you have done, it points to hardware issue. And the most obvious one seems to be the PSU.

The only way to be sure is to swap out each part to pinpoint the issue, and if it were me, I'd first try the PSU.

Thanks, will also try with another PSU as well

1 hour ago, Fuzzyy said:

I highly doubt it is because of the PSU, some people even ran 3080 with this PSU with a more power hungry cpu. And I have used the same system for over 2 years, and did not have an issue at all before. I also run my card with an undervolt as well, but it did not work. Here is a video of optimum tech that also pushed me to get the SF600:

It could be luck or something but the 30 series cards are known for there power spikes.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

2 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

46 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

It could be luck or something but the 30 series cards are known for there power spikes.

I want to mention one last thing, today I have ran Furmark on QHD preset, and I have maxed out the GPU power limit in afterburner(112%), and my 3070 pulled a little over 270 watts. I have also run the CPU burner in the background with 11 threads(PBO enabled), and it pulled another 100 watts, and my system did not shut down. I ran the tests for an hour. After this, would you still says a low wattage PSU could cause this?

Also, I do not have another higher wattage PSU at the moment, but I have a RTX 3060 in my htpc, so I will try testing with a 3060, and if it does not shutdown, I guess it is either my GPU or PSU. 

The potential main issue here is not the total power draw, it's the transient spikes, sudden increase in power draw that could trip the OCP feature of a PSU, which would shutdown the PC instantly.

This usually happens during gaming or something that uses both CPU and GPU intensively, not synthetic benchmarks.

Hardware also degrades overtime, something could fail out of nowhere, just because it has been fine for 2 years, does not mean it would've been fine for 10 years right?

19 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

The potential main issue here is not the total power draw, it's the transient spikes, sudden increase in power draw that could trip the OCP feature of a PSU, which would shutdown the PC instantly.

This usually happens during gaming or something that uses both CPU and GPU intensively, not synthetic benchmarks.

Hardware also degrades overtime, something could fail out of nowhere, just because it has been fine for 2 years, does not mean it would've been fine for 10 years right?

Yes I agree with you. Did some more testing, ordered a 750w psu from amazon(cm gold v750 sfx) and the issue still persist, I started a return request for the PSU. But I think it might be because of my riser cable as well, I have the Louqe Cobalt riser, and I have read some comments that a faulty one can lead to random pc restarts, and it is a very common thing. Will do a open test bench setup without the riser tomorrow, and hopefully it works 😕

@Fuzzyy

New bios update released on August 28. One day ago. ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING BIOS 3301

1. Recommended for vital update to mitigate the potential security vulnerabilities
2. Improve system stability

If PSU is fine, next would be motherboard. You're very lucky to be living in a country where returns are as easy as it is.

14 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

If PSU is fine, next would be motherboard. You're very lucky to be living in a country where returns are as easy as it is.

Lets say thanks to Amazon for making my 3rd world country better lol 

Today I did an open testbench build on top of my Motherboard box, and now I don't get any reboots or something, I think it was really because of the PCIe riser, maybe I have a faulty one.

Well, certainly is possible, I haven't had bad experience with PCIE riser so I can't say for certain.