The International 4 has broken $5 million in prize pool money.

Kirihuna

It was already the biggest prize pool in all of e-sports history.

Now it's past $5 million. Up from the initial $1.6 million.

The International 3, held last year, had a prize pool of 2.275 million. That prize pool has been doubled that of last year's within a week.

http://dota2.cyborgmatt.com/prizetracker/international2014

Also, who ever wins the TI4, all 5 players should be the top 5 in all time e-sports earnings.

http://www.esportsearnings.com/players

As a Dota 2 player and fan, this is huge and exciting to see.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

shiver me timbers that's a bunch of cake.

You forgot the manager

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

I'm still bothered that sitting on your ass playing pew pew is classified as a "sport".

Why?

Why?

Because it's not.

It's being good at a video game. Nothing more, nothing less. It's as absurd as telling your knitting granny she's a top athlete.

Because it's not.

It's being good at a video game. Nothing more, nothing less. It's as absurd as telling your knitting granny she's a top athlete.

They are playing that videogame by themselves or in a team against another or others for the entertainment of others. that meets the criteria to allow it to be called a sport by the definition of the word sport 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I'm still bothered that sitting on your ass playing vidya is classified as a "sport".

They're classified as e-sports.

I bet if you were up there you would have a completely different opinion on the matter. These people are entertaining others through highly competitive multiplayer games. I don't see the problem here.

COMIC SANS

I'm still bothered that sitting on your ass playing vidya is classified as a "sport".

E-Sports to be exact. You use your mind creating strategy. To win the game you must have skills and talent. It's like saying chess is not a sport. :P

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

That's the same thing as saying 

"I can't believe running around catching a ball is classified as a sport."

And yet it is, because it's much more than that.

Its intensive strategy, your ability to react to new or different actions taken by your enemy/opponent, and also your knowledge of the game.

In both football and DOTA you need to practice in order to have good chance at winning the tournament level matches.

In both football and DOTA you need to come up with plans and strategies, practice those strategies, so that when a certain situation comes up you have a game plan.

In both football and DOTA you need to have good intuition and be able to act on it in a timely manner, or have somebody else who leads you that makes up for your lack of intuition.

In both football and DOTA you need to work well with your teammates.

You could argue this for every sport, and guess what, many people can't believe that we value sports as much as we do; Many people believe that it is just running catching/hitting/throwing a ball.

Right now you're being one of those people for one side of the spectrum but not the other, you're being a hypocrite.

Either both sports and E-sports are overly-hyped games, or both are much more than that.

You can't have it both ways.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552