AMD RX 7700-XT and 7800-XT Officially Announced, Targets RTX 4070 NON-Ti

AMD's Radeon RX 7700-XT and RX 7800-XT have been officially announced at GamesCom and it seems that AMD is coming to the rescue once again with more affordable GPUs in the mid-range segment.

LAUNCH PRICING (USA):

RX 7800-XT 16GB: $499.99

RX 7700-XT 12GB: $449.99

The RX 7800-XT is said to be targeting the performance of the RTX 4070, with the biggest wins coming in around 18% faster and the biggest losses around 22% slower.

Its clear that the RX 7800-XT will be the favorable option for pretty much everyone. The drop in performance to step down to the RX 7700-XT is simply not worth the small $50 savings.

However, keep in mind that every AMD GPU release so far has dropped in price. With the launch price of the 7800-XT being already $100 lower than the RTX 4070, I can't imagine it will drop much, but maybe slightly to $474.99 or something.

But much more likely the RX 7700-XT will drop in price over time to make the RTX 4060-Ti 8GB and 16GB completely irrelevant if it can manage to match its price eventually at $399.99 while offering more performance and 50% more VRAM than the 8GB RTX card.

AMD is also announcing FSR-3 with their own Frame Generation Technology to match Nvidia's DLSS-3.

Hardware Unboxed seems to have the most in-depth information on this announcement and their video covering the announcement and so here it is:

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

Cant wait from Frame Gen technology to die off. Such an awful thing with latency penalty and just overall going to be used as a marketing gimmick to say they can push X FPS in games instead of pure raster performance.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Cant wait from Frame Gen technology to die off. Such an awful thing with latency penalty and just overall going to be used as a marketing gimmick to say they can push X FPS in games instead of pure raster performance.

I personally agree but I also admit frame gen is pretty cool tech. Ill just never use it. I would never need to anyways as I run a 7900-XTX at 3440x1440p and it maxes out my 144Hz Monitor on Ultra in Most games.

Current Build Thread:

Why not post this in Tech news?

Anyways, its wild seeing AMD do the same thing they did with the 7900XT/X with those pricing. I like the 7700XT but at that pricing, why does it exist other then to troll nvidia for making a 16GB card 100dollars more then the 8GB? Feels like shooting your own foot to spite the compitition. 

11 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Why not post this in Tech news?

Anyways, its wild seeing AMD do the same thing they did with the 7900XT/X with those pricing. I like the 7700XT but at that pricing, why does it exist other then to troll nvidia for making a 16GB card 100dollars more then the 8GB? Feels like shooting your own foot to spite the compitition. 

Eh Im sure someone posted it in tech news as soon as it came out hours before.

Also yes, this move is definitely just to troll all over Nvidia which is hilarious. AMD is actually using their opportunity this time 🤣

Current Build Thread:

I'm hoping the best for this launch. 

I sadly doubt it will be the cards for me as they demand too much power, and thus probably also come with a thick cooler. So I would have to get a new psu and case to go with that particular upgrade. 

Annoying, I was looking forward to them. But lets hope it upsets the mid tier gpu space 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

2 hours ago, DeerDK said:

I'm hoping the best for this launch. 

I sadly doubt it will be the cards for me as they demand too much power, and thus probably also come with a thick cooler. So I would have to get a new psu and case to go with that particular upgrade. 

Annoying, I was looking forward to them. But lets hope it upsets the mid tier gpu space 

Well as far as I have heard the factory/reference cooler design is standard 2-Slot with dual fans and much shorter than RX 7900 Cards so from what I can see you wouldn't need a new case.

7700-7800-3.thumb.jpeg.3ff8b992f45d0fc44fc8006e915b61e4.jpeg

As for Power Supply - well that depends on what CPU you have. For example - I run the Ryzen 7800X-3D, a very low power CPU that even at the very worst of times - will never hit 100 watts, even with OC I can barely manage to get the thing to hit 90 watts.

Then, a general rule of thumb is to add an additional 100 watts power budget for the Motherboard, RAM, LEDs, Fans, and storage. Basically, you take your GPU+CPU wattage and add an additional 100 watts to it to cover the rest of the system.

So in my case - with the upcoming RX 7800-XT coming in with a rated 263 Watts of power draw with my Ryzen 7800X-3D and additional 100 Watts allocated for the rest of the system - my WORST case scenario would be ~450 watts with full 100% load on both the CPU and GPU simultaneously if I haven't overclocked anything.

This means even a super cheap 500W Bronze PSU would run this system, although I would never suggest that. The one area in a PC that should always be a little overkill is the PSU because cleaner power makes for a happier, more stable PC. Also the peak efficiency of a PSU is right around 60% load, and PSUs easily last a decade so an overkill PSU means you can upgrade in most cases without having to buy a new one.

So for anyone who would be running a Ryzen 7800X-3D and a Radeon RX 7800-XT, The Recommend Power Supply would be a 650-Watt Gold. Although for future upgradability I always recommend to most people no matter the build unless the budget is tight to just buy 750-Watt Gold PSUs as they are pretty much the golden standard these days with great value and ability to run most builds, even if it would be a tad overkill for this particular system.

Current Build Thread:

17 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Well as far as I have heard the factory/reference cooler design is standard 2-Slot with dual fans and much shorter than RX 7900 Cards so from what I can see you wouldn't need a new case.

7700-7800-3.thumb.jpeg.3ff8b992f45d0fc44fc8006e915b61e4.jpeg

As for Power Supply - well that depends on what CPU you have. For example - I run the Ryzen 7800X-3D, a very low power CPU that even at the very worst of times - will never hit 100 watts, even with OC I can barely manage to get the thing to hit 90 watts.

Then, a general rule of thumb is to add an additional 100 watts power budget for the Motherboard, RAM, LEDs, Fans, and storage. Basically, you take your GPU+CPU wattage and add an additional 100 watts to it to cover the rest of the system.

So in my case - with the upcoming RX 7800-XT coming in with a rated 263 Watts of power draw with my Ryzen 7800X-3D and additional 100 Watts allocated for the rest of the system - my WORST case scenario would be ~450 watts with full 100% load on both the CPU and GPU simultaneously if I haven't overclocked anything.

This means even a super cheap 500W Bronze PSU would run this system, although I would never suggest that. The one area in a PC that should always be a little overkill is the PSU because cleaner power makes for a happier, more stable PC. Also the peak efficiency of a PSU is right around 60% load, and PSUs easily last a decade so an overkill PSU means you can upgrade in most cases without having to buy a new one.

So for anyone who would be running a Ryzen 7800X-3D and a Radeon RX 7800-XT, The Recommend Power Supply would be a 650-Watt Gold. Although for future upgradability I always recommend to most people no matter the build unless the budget is tight to just buy 750-Watt Gold PSUs as they are pretty much the golden standard these days with great value and ability to run most builds, even if it would be a tad overkill for this particular system.

I'm running an old but premium 460w fanless platinum psu. I don't know if it has the two 8pin connectors. 

Regarding the case, yes it is possible that they have true 2slot GPUs, but are they quiet? I have had a look out for Sapphires cards for some time as they score well in terms of noise, but from 6700xt and up their cards are too thick for my case. 

Apart from that I have a Ryzen 5600x

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

1 hour ago, DeerDK said:

I'm running an old but premium 460w fanless platinum psu. I don't know if it has the two 8pin connectors. 

Regarding the case, yes it is possible that they have true 2slot GPUs, but are they quiet? I have had a look out for Sapphires cards for some time as they score well in terms of noise, but from 6700xt and up their cards are too thick for my case. 

Apart from that I have a Ryzen 5600x

Ya man if ur on a 460W its time to upgrade that PSU I would say. Everything just eats more power these days and 460 just doesn't cut it for most modern enthusiast grade builds.

It sounds like ur running an ITX case of some sort and luckily these days they have 750 and even 850 watt options in SFX PSUs. There may even be a 1000W option.

Unfortunately we won't know if the GPUs are quiet until we get reviews from someone that does noise-normalized testing. AMD simply announced the cards, they are not available yet.

As with anything else we need to wait on reviews to confirm performance as well.

Current Build Thread:

2 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

Ya man if ur on a 460W its time to upgrade that PSU I would say. Everything just eats more power these days and 460 just doesn't cut it for most modern enthusiast grade builds.

It sounds like ur running an ITX case of some sort and luckily these days they have 750 and even 850 watt options in SFX PSUs. There may even be a 1000W option.

Unfortunately we won't know if the GPUs are quiet until we get reviews from someone that does noise-normalized testing. AMD simply announced the cards, they are not available yet.

As with anything else we need to wait on reviews to confirm performance as well.

Yeah, it's a mITX. Full gpu length, full atx psu but max 45 mm wide gpu. It's an older layout and I should probably get another, but the PNY 4070 xlr8 has scored really well in terms of noise and fits, so if I can do the upgrade with only that compared to exchanging half the components, including the case... 🤷

My psu is a rebranded Seasonic, and so far it has been solid, so I will upgrade when need arises but as it is fanless there is less wear and tear as there are no moving parts 

11 hours ago, DeerDK said:

Yeah, it's a mITX. Full gpu length, full atx psu but max 45 mm wide gpu. It's an older layout and I should probably get another, but the PNY 4070 xlr8 has scored really well in terms of noise and fits, so if I can do the upgrade with only that compared to exchanging half the components, including the case... 🤷

My psu is a rebranded Seasonic, and so far it has been solid, so I will upgrade when need arises but as it is fanless there is less wear and tear as there are no moving parts 

Ah ya thats pretty nice fanless is sweet. I do like the middle ground my Seasonic 850W-Platinum offers tho which is the Hybrid mode. Below 400 watts it simply shuts the fan off all-together and has a full fan curve from silent to 100% depending on load above 400 Watts. But this is a full-sized ATX PSU in a standard ATX Mid-Tower (Lian Li LanCool 216)

IMG20230713233702.jpg.2455a2069f068e253e926777098f8f77.thumb.jpg.073fd3901575e9b571ee276ddcfaf666.jpg

That is the good news with the RTX 4070 Non-Ti is that its very efficient. In most games it will rarely even touch 200 Watts.

Current Build Thread: