Suggest a Distro for an old Dual-core Laptop?

Hello,

Pls suggest a Linux Distro for Dual-core Laptop?

Configuration -

• AMD Dual Core Processor with in-build Graphics

• 16GB DDR3 RAM

• Samsung SSD 850 EVO 256GB

Full Configuration

Software Requirements -

• Fast and Responsive Desktop with decent look-and-feel

• Browser with good YouTube (only) performance.

• Arduino IDE for IOT coding

• any Edition for PHP and Python

• Office

• VLC for Movies

I am confused in BOTH Linux Distro and Linux Desktop Environment.

Pls suggest.
Thanks and regards.

PC enthusiast since MS DOS 5!

20 minutes ago, ayandon said:

AMD Dual Core Processor with in-build Graphics

Please, more details on that, if possible.

20 minutes ago, ayandon said:
  • Fast and Responsive Desktop with decent look-and-feel

• Browser with good YouTube (only) performance.

Due to several factors, including your personal "taste" for decent look-and-feel, these results might be unachievable. 

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

2 minutes ago, mMontana said:

Click on the full configuration link above. It's an AMD E1-6010 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, mMontana said:

Due to several factors, including your personal "taste" for decent look-and-feel, these results might be unachievable. 

I have attached CPU-Z details.
Pls do not comment when you have no value to add.

PC enthusiast since MS DOS 5!

Just now, ayandon said:

Pls do not comment when you have no value to add

I'm really sorry, what I'm gonna write won't please you at all. And believe me, what I reported is simply... value.

Unfortunately AMD passed an awful moment, since the deployment on market of Bulldozer generation CPUs.

Started in 2011, ended in 2017 with Zen.

Bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller, Excavator, Bobcat, Jaguar, Puma (latter three are low powered version) they unfortunately all were... dogcrap.

You're personally concerned about your goal, so consider to verify this link.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/2308vs1433/AMD-E1-6010-APU-vs-Intel-i3-2310E

Your APU is wiped away from a two-year older APU from intel.

Adding insult to injury, a six year older CPU for desktop has roughly the same power.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/2308vs1127/AMD-E1-6010-APU-vs-Intel-Pentium-D-830

Now.

Accepting lots of compromise, you can install a lightweigth Linux distro. However, your declared goals might not be achievable due to total lack of computational power of your laptop.

Again, I'm sorry, it was value, even one you did not like.  

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

my usual goto is just xubuntu.

i've had xubuntu on an E-450 (which is about 20% slower) and it was perfectly happy, but you'll just have to accept that youtube is gonna be a struggle for this level of machine no matter what operating system you put in the middle of that.

case in point, before mentioned E-450 was just happy running windows 11 too, given it was stripped of some non-essential background stuff. (and funnily enough, it liked win11 better than win10 and win7...)

Or maybe try POP OS its quit a user friendly Linux distro in my opinion (even my parents can do simple tasks with it, without calling me every day :D)

I use a Core2Duo machine with 6GB DDR3 on it, and I have MXLinux with Fluxbox running on it. Runs well.

In case you might get confused, MxLinux is the distro and Fluxbox is the Desktop environment. You could also use the XFCE desktop environment since that's also quite light.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 5:56 PM, BankHealthy said:

You could also use the XFCE desktop environment since that's also quite light.

Running un a VM with only 864 MB of ram is a good performance test.  Even Ubuntu 16.04 with Unity runs well with 640 MB of memory.  XFCE setup by MX Linux is crazy heavy, where as 256 MB of memory is usually plenty for xfce.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

4 hours ago, E-waste said:

Running un a VM with only 864 MB of ram is a good performance test.  Even Ubuntu 16.04 with Unity runs well with 640 MB of memory.  XFCE setup by MX Linux is crazy heavy, where as 256 MB of memory is usually plenty for xfce.

In that case, using Fluxbox would be lighter. Using only 400mb. But then again, OP mentioned the machine has 16GB of RAM. So a couple o' hundred megs isn't really gonna hurt much.