Windows 11 worth it?

PcBeExpensive

Is going to Windows 11 actually worth it from Windows 10? I primarily use the PC for gaming and browsing but I will start video editing (someone keep on asking me about that to make sure I don't quit lol), I won't go like full pro video editor but just a side hustle. 

Thanks

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

27 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Is going to Windows 11 actually worth it from Windows 10? I primarily use the PC for gaming and browsing but I will start video editing (someone keep on asking me about that to make sure I don't quit lol), I won't go like full pro video editor but just a side hustle. 

Thanks

Short answer. Nope. Wait for windows 12

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

It's a wild forest of opinions out there..
Therefore: Windows 10 is awayting decomposition corpse. Microsoft will never ehnance that much the OS (it's arrived an update backup software, but IMVHO is to help transitioning to 11) while the new toy will be enhanced, transformed, evolved.

IMVHO for a dual core-kind arrangement, Windows 11 is necessary, while with any other kind of processor (this means anything but 12th and 13th gen intel) is not mandatory. Deadline of Win 10 is 2025 (mid, if i'm not wrong), and maybe the resource overhead for OS will be slightly lower in Windows 10 rather than Windows 11.

However: any new toy (software, hardware, driver) will be focused on 11, not 10.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

39 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

Yes.

Alright, I should get a free upgrade right?

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

40 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

Yes.

May I ask why? What's so good about it to warrant the change.

My First PC

Until Microsoft do not change its mind.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

38 minutes ago, mMontana said:

It's a wild forest of opinions out there..
Therefore: Windows 10 is awayting decomposition corpse. Microsoft will never ehnance that much the OS (it's arrived an update backup software, but IMVHO is to help transitioning to 11) while the new toy will be enhanced, transformed, evolved.

IMVHO for a dual core-kind arrangement, Windows 11 is necessary, while with any other kind of processor (this means anything but 12th and 13th gen intel) is not mandatory. Deadline of Win 10 is 2025 (mid, if i'm not wrong), and maybe the resource overhead for OS will be slightly lower in Windows 10 rather than Windows 11.

However: any new toy (software, hardware, driver) will be focused on 11, not 10.

so is that a yes?

My First PC

1 minute ago, mMontana said:

Until Microsoft do not change its mind.

huh?

My First PC

11 is not superior to 10 in any conceivable manner for any regular user.

I'm interested to hear if anyone feels other way and give any reasons why.

I edit my posts more often than not

I made the switch earlier this year. While adjusting to some of the UI changes took a little time, I have not encountered anything that is a deal breaker.

The advantages? It is the current branch of Windows and will get new feature support that may be lacking or 2nd tier on Win10. While not critical if you have a single core type CPU, the scheduler changes are ideally needed for Intel's hybrid CPUs, and AMD is likely going in a similar direction.

My personal process for updating an existing Win10 install is to buy another SSD for the OS. Clone the existing Win10 install to the new SSD. Make sure everything still works, then update that new copy. Afterwards, again check everything still works. If there are any fatal problems, you can simply put the old SSD back in and revert to Win10. Keep the old SSD as backup for a time. When you are confident, you can wipe it and reuse it. You could try to save money by using backups instead but to me that is more complicated and messy and you still have to be confident the backups work. SSDs are pretty cheap recently.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, porina said:

I made the switch earlier this year. While adjusting to some of the UI changes took a little time, I have not encountered anything that is a deal breaker.

The advantages? It is the current branch of Windows and will get new feature support that may be lacking or 2nd tier on Win10. While not critical if you have a single core type CPU, the scheduler changes are ideally needed for Intel's hybrid CPUs, and AMD is likely going in a similar direction.

Same. What got me is the security patch deprecation for Windows 10 by 2 years, id rather not reinstall Windows because i really dislike having to set things back to what im used to.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

4 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

Same. What got me is the security patch deprecation for Windows 10 by 2 years, id rather not reinstall Windows because i really dislike having to set things back to what im used to.

What happened with security patches for Win10? I still see the October 2025 date as the Windows 10 EOL for normal people. LTSC might be different.

Installing and configuring software is the biggest reason I don't change main system more often! Probably average 4+ years even though I tend to buy platforms more frequently than that.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

What happened with security patches for Win10? I still see the October 2025 date as the Windows 10 EOL for normal people.

Yep, that is it. 2 years is plain not enough.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

Yep, that is it. 2 years is plain not enough.

Maybe I misunderstood. What you wrote looked like it was saying the support had changed. That 2025 date has been well published for years and shouldn't be a surprise for anyone. 2 years from now isn't great for a new build, but most would have been running Win10 for a long time already.

1 hour ago, PcBeExpensive said:

May I ask why? What's so good about it to warrant the change.

It's the most up to date version of Windows, it has all the newest features and design elements, it will be supported far past Windows 10's decommission date, new software is developed primarily for Windows 11.

9 hours ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

It's the most up to date version of Windows, it has all the newest features and design elements, it will be supported far past Windows 10's decommission date, new software is developed primarily for Windows 11.

But what new software? Also should I wait for windows 12 since thats coming out 2024 apparently?

My First PC

For me, it's not worth it. In fact, it pretty much forced me to use Linux as my primary OS.

If you want to stay using Windows, just stick with 10 and wait for 12.

On 8/24/2023 at 7:57 AM, porina said:

My personal process for updating an existing Win10 install is to buy another SSD for the OS. Clone the existing Win10 install to the new SSD. Make sure everything still works, then update that new copy. Afterwards, again check everything still works. If there are any fatal problems, you can simply put the old SSD back in and revert to Win10. Keep the old SSD as backup for a time. When you are confident, you can wipe it and reuse it. You could try to save money by using backups instead but to me that is more complicated and messy and you still have to be confident the backups work. SSDs are pretty cheap recently.

This is the same course that I followed four months ago.  I put an NVME drive in my work station and cloned the OS over using the Samsung data transfer tool.  then I upgraded from Win 10 to 11 which went very smooth.  I only had one glitch, my HP ink jet printer link was broken and I had to reinstall.  My Canon Pro-1000 photo printer was not affected and printed right away without issue.  I don't mind the Win 11 interface at all and the only thing that I noticed was my page.sys file was much larger under Win 11 than 10.  I think the default is 3X the amount of RAM in the system.  I could shrink it but it seems that there are no issues with performance (I don't game), and I've left it alone.

After two months I deleted the Win 10 install and backed up my Win 11 OS to the old SSD just to be on the safe side.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

On 8/24/2023 at 10:45 PM, PcBeExpensive said:

But what new software? Also should I wait for windows 12 since thats coming out 2024 apparently?

All new software will be designed with Windows 11 in mind.

It's a free upgrade so why would you wait for Windows 12? Might as well wait for Windows 13 using that logic. Scratch that, make it Windows 14.

I can't remember a single Windows OS where people haven't said it's a mess and to wait for the next one. Even the supposedly terrible Windows 8 was massively adopted across the world.

6 hours ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

It's a free upgrade so why would you wait for Windows 12? Might as well wait for Windows 13 using that logic. Scratch that, make it Windows 14.

I can't remember a single Windows OS where people haven't said it's a mess and to wait for the next one. Even the supposedly terrible Windows 8 was massively adopted across the world.

Massively yes, but not really a success. You have more Windows 11 system today than Windows 8.

That said, people said that Windows 10 was a terrible OS, and Windows 7 was the best.

When Windows 7 was out, people said that Windows 7 was a MacOS clone and is a terrible, XP was better.

It's always like this. People want change, but don't like change.

Once people get used to it, spend time and energy to implement the new functionality in their workflows, then it becomes "the best Windows".

While I do agree they are exceptions, Windows 11 isn't part of it, not a by a long shot.

9 hours ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

For some reason I don't have the free upgrade yet?

My First PC

Just now, PcBeExpensive said:

For some reason I don't have the free upgrade yet?

It is because your system is not compatible for Windows 11.

You need:

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It is because your system is not compatible for Windows 11.

You need:

I have a 5600x, I have an m.2, I have 32gb of ram, I have a 1080p display. I don't know if the rest of the things are on or off. I just bought a 6700 XT and installed new drivers so drivers should be fine on GPU side.

My First PC

6 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

I have a 5600x, I have an m.2, I have 32gb of ram, I have a 1080p display. I don't know if the rest of the things are on or off. I just bought a 6700 XT and installed new drivers so drivers should be fine on GPU side.

Yea so it looks like your UEFI is missed configured. Make sure your BIOS is updated and set the options mentioned. 

Please note that if CSM was set to Enabled, then your UEFI emulates the legacy BIOS, for old OSs. That means that the main drive was formatted as MBR instead of GPT. This means that your system won't boot, because UEFI can only work with drive formatted as GPT, and legacy BIOS works with MBR only. There is a guide here on how to to convert the drive from MBR to GPT via a Windows built-in utility that Microsoft included in Windows 10.