What is your priority for buying cooling equipment?

RevGAM

What is your priority for buying cooling equipment?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. When buying cooling parts in general (top 3)?

• Price
    • Performance
    • Reputation [of company, brand, and/or product]
    • Appearance [e.g. matches theme, lighting, color(s)]
    • Noise levels
    • Product's quality
    • Prestige
    • Showing off your PC
    • Ability to fulfill all of your needs
    • Warranty duration
  2. 2. Which is more important?

3. 3. When choosing fans, what are your top 3 priorities?

• Price
    • Performance
    • Noise levels
    • Appearance & showing your PC
    • Reputation & prestige
    • Quality
    • Warranty duration
    • Being able to chop produce with it 😉
  4. 4. When choosing a water cooling system, what are your top 3 priorities?

• Price
    • Performance
    • Appearance/showing it
    • Reputation/prestige
    • Can be maintained
    • Easy to install & run for life of product
    • Comes with lights/LCD display
    • Special features
    • Reliability/lifespan
    • Noise levels
    • Warranty duration
    • Power consumption
    • Being able to make ice cream
  5. 5. When choosing an air cooler (3)?

• Price
    • Appearance/showing the PC
    • Performance
    • Noise levels
    • Reputation/Prestige
    • Ease of installation/maintenance
    • Warranty duration

If you want to add more details, please do so here. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Price and performance thats where it ends for me.

Noise levels maybe? But like if somethinf is performant and priced well not being too loud goes hand in hand basically these days

1 minute ago, Srijan Verma said:

My top 2 priorities are always price and performance but they rarely go together

Yeah, I totally understand. Most of my life I was stuck in that position. Now that I'm undead, I just don't care about money. After all, you don't need any when you have no bills and live in a grave. 😉 😆 🤣 😂🧟‍♂️ 🧟‍♀️ 🧟‍♂️

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

Performance, noise levels and ease of maintenance/upgrade for me

Brand is important here as there's like a few good brands (Noctua, Arctic..) and a lot of meh/bad ones 

Price isn't a huge concern to me as the most expensive coolers (AIO) are show off RGB thingies (hello Corsair and LL) I don't much care about 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

7 minutes ago, hoppychomper said:

I thought this thread was about cooking equipment... I think I may need glasses

Well, if you have a good tip on roasting your boss, let me know! 😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆 🤣 😂 

Price performance are ontop, also just sheer cooling capacity which also falls into performance, noise is also important but not a major worry

hence why my favourite coolers that you can buy would be dirt cheap lga 775 copper cores/beefy am3 copper heatsinks (if you can find these for as cheap as the 775 coolers), or the peerless assassin 120 / ak/ag620 whichever is cheaper

As for what id use personally ill either stop being lazy and cobble together my ghetto loop or i skip that entirely and buy a used outdoor ac unit or 2 to make a phase change cooler, power consumption might be atrocious but keep lowering temp and power consumption of the cpu will also lower

On 8/23/2023 at 4:43 AM, Srijan Verma said:

My top 2 priorities are always price and performance but they rarely go together

Well, they do go up together. 🤷‍♂️ 

I don’t like a jet engine screaming by my ear anymore, so performance per noise is an important metric for me.

Noise to performance is the main  focus for me. I can't stand a noisy computer during play or browsing/watching content. 

I use a mix of Iceberg Thermal and Noctua fans which are priced nearly the same but have different approaches to noise and performance. Noctua is quieter overall with good airflow, while Iceberg has such high efficiency blades that the fans can be run slower and just as quiet with the same airflow.

"Performance" is quite subjective as to what it means as it's the sum of a few areas rather than a defined objective statistic. 

My votes have been cast.

You must be able to chop produce.

It is like the bird strike test on jet engines 🤘

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

23 hours ago, TeraSeraph said:

Noise to performance is the main  focus for me. I can't stand a noisy computer during play or browsing/watching content. 

I use a mix of Iceberg Thermal and Noctua fans which are priced nearly the same but have different approaches to noise and performance. Noctua is quieter overall with good airflow, while Iceberg has such high efficiency blades that the fans can be run slower and just as quiet with the same airflow.

"Performance" is quite subjective as to what it means as it's the sum of a few areas rather than a defined objective statistic. 

Well, for me it's about how well it does at cooling, since I separated noise from it. 

On 8/26/2023 at 6:41 AM, freeagent said:

My votes have been cast.

You must be able to chop produce.

It is like the bird strike test on jet engines 🤘

IceGALE Xtra 140mm are dangerous. Sharp enough and heavy enough to chop through veggies.