Ubiquiti Switch - Significant delay before clients conenct

Hi all-

I recently got a Ubiquiti Switch Aggregation (the switch with 8x 10G SFP+ ports on it).  I am having a problem where Windows clients that are connected to the switch with SFP+ to RJ45 adapters are taking upwards of 1-2 minutes to start receiving any traffic.  I am not sure what is causing this.

I currently have all 8 ports of the switch in use.  I am using 2x aggregated together for a 20G connection to another switch (no connection delay), 1x for our main router (no connection delay), 1x for a PoE switch (no connection delay), 1x for a NAS (no connection delay), and then then the 3 remaining ports are connected to 10GbE equipped windows machines.

The SFP+ to RJ45 adapters are from fs.com and the NICs in the Windows machines are from ASUS and TP-Link, all using the same chip from Aquantia I believe.  I am using CAT6A ethernet cables between the switch and the machines.

Once each machine connects (which usually like I said takes between 1 - 2 minutes) they are able to obtain the full 10/10 G speed.

Does anyone have any ideas of what settings I can tweak?  Should I try setting static IPs for those devices?

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

What version of the firmware are you using on the Switch? Did you try hard setting the port speed on a client to see if that resolves the problem? Is the port getting blocked by STP?

On 8/20/2023 at 4:24 PM, Smith6612 said:

What version of the firmware are you using on the Switch? Did you try hard setting the port speed on a client to see if that resolves the problem? Is the port getting blocked by STP?

Hi sorry for my delayed reply.  The device version of the switch is 6.5.59.  I have the speed hard sent on both the port and the client.  I do not believe the port is getting blocked by STP.  I was not having a problem with throughput (the 10Gb), the problem happens when waking the computer from sleep or from shutdown.  The computer shows that there is NO "internet" or local connection for at least 1-2 minutes.  Ubiquiti WiFi 6 does not have this problem on my computer.  As soon as I turn it on I am connected.  Very strange.

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

On 8/20/2023 at 3:01 AM, PenguinMaster said:

The SFP+ to RJ45 adapters are from fs.com and the NICs in the Windows machines are from ASUS and TP-Link, all using the same chip from Aquantia I believe.

I'd be tempted to blame the NICs, there are some weird bugs with some Aquantia chipsets.  Worse on Windows (in extreme cases they crash the entire network stack once under load, needing a reboot) but even on Linux I see kernel logs saying it glitches resuming from sleep.  Fortunately on Linux the driver seems to handle the error quickly, possible Windows does too but takes longer.

I'd try changing it in device manager so it doesn't put the card to sleep, maybe that will help?  Though if this is happening on a clean boot, perhaps not, though maybe try disabling fast boot?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Or disable some features that are enabled by default such as Green Ethernet, EEE/Advanced EEE.... and so on.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

I would suspect the cards. I had an Asus 10 GB nic and it had similar issues. It would also randomly drop the connection during large transfers (multiple TB) I have since switched to Intel and it's been rock solid. They're expensive, but you get what you pay for.

If you have access to run wires I've found that sfp DAC or pre terminated sfp+ fiber cables are more reliable and less power hungry than sfp+ to rj45 Transceivers.

17 hours ago, Bdavis said:

I would suspect the cards. I had an Asus 10 GB nic and it had similar issues. It would also randomly drop the connection during large transfers (multiple TB) I have since switched to Intel and it's been rock solid. They're expensive, but you get what you pay for.

If you have access to run wires I've found that sfp DAC or pre terminated sfp+ fiber cables are more reliable and less power hungry than sfp+ to rj45 Transceivers.

Yeah I think its the AQC107 specifically that is plain broken in Windows 11 after a certain point for some reason.  I've had no problems with the USB Aquantia 5Gbit chip, or the Realtek 2.5 Gbit USB ones.

Based on people on this forum, the newer AQC11x chips seem to be okay but like you said, safer bet is going with Intel IF you pick ones that have Windows 11 drivers.  There's a few Intel that seem to only have Windows Server drivers and some lower models of Intel 2.5Gbit that are broken in other ways.

Picking a NIC should be so much simpler but its been a bit of a nightmare the last few years.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7