diy smart tv 4k(non android) to 4k smart tv android upgrade

jasonbrooks92

Read this, then delete before posting

hi i have this query i have a smart tv (non android) 4k i was wondering if swapping out the main board with an android version 4k would it work?

provided the screen resolution is the same .would it be compatible in any way its sort of a diy for me 

really need an any opinion on this 

would it work?

if not why?

TIA

Most likely no.

Even if the interfaces all matched and were compatible (very big if), the Android TV OS version on the mainboard is most likely programmed for a specific screen. It would probably end up trying to control the display through software hooks and firmware that does not match. It'd be like installing AMD graphics card drivers on a PC with an Nvidia card, expecting it to just work.

The reason why you can plug in whichever monitor you want into your PC's HDMI port and it just works is because it was designed that way. When your PC starts up it going through and dynamically detects which hardware devices are present (this is the job of the UEFI among other things) and then it loads the appropriate firmware and drivers.

With Android, a lot of those things are more often than not statically assigned in what's called a devicetree. You could think of it as the operating system itself being programmed to assume your display is a very specific model.

Terrible idea.just get a 4k fire stick from Amazon and boom you have a smart tv 

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

On 8/18/2023 at 10:39 PM, LAwLz said:

Most likely no.

Even if the interfaces all matched and were compatible (very big if), the Android TV OS version on the mainboard is most likely programmed for a specific screen. It would probably end up trying to control the display through software hooks and firmware that does not match. It'd be like installing AMD graphics card drivers on a PC with an Nvidia card, expecting it to just work.

The reason why you can plug in whichever monitor you want into your PC's HDMI port and it just works is because it was designed that way. When your PC starts up it going through and dynamically detects which hardware devices are present (this is the job of the UEFI among other things) and then it loads the appropriate firmware and drivers.

With Android, a lot of those things are more often than not statically assigned in what's called a devicetree. You could think of it as the operating system itself being programmed to assume your display is a very specific model.

so what im understanding from my limited perspective/understanding even if assuming all the mainboard interfaces match the reason why it would most likely not work is because  the android tv os, would be programmed for a specific screen/screen type? does this mean specific screen as in in the resolution? or specific screen/screen type or other hardware components associated with the panel its self regardless of resolution specs

thanks for your current insight 

current screen specs/screentype are 50inch, resolution 3840x2160p led

On 8/18/2023 at 11:41 PM, Srius1 said:

Terrible idea.just get a 4k fire stick from Amazon and boom you have a smart tv 

i will consider it though i have a smart tv just not android tv I was an idiot when i purchased it 

its out of warranty so i thought ill try diy it with a compatible hardware swap and see what happens

thanks for you recommendation 

• 4 weeks later...

If you want Android TV on a non-Android TV smart TV, you are not just going to be able to swap out a board or something like that. It just won't work. You'll more than likely brick the TV if you try.

What you can do, however, is just go out and buy whatever Android TV streaming box you want. There are a lot to choose from, including a ton of "off brand" versions (which I would personally avoid but that's just me). Do that, and just ignore the built-in Smart TV functions.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)