whats the 1660 tis overclocking limit?

ambidexwing
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

GPU overclocking limits used to be more sensitive when adjusting voltage was still available. Since it's not anymore, you kind of have training wheels attached.

Out of anything GTX 10 series and newer, often the best performance will be managed simply by maxing out the power limit and cranking the GPU frequency as high as it will allow before the system is unstable. But for the most part, GPU boost will be automatically giving you an increase in clock speed, so you probably don't even need to touch the MHz. My own GPU gets to almost 1900 MHz with no adjustments aside from power limit increase

i want to get the most out of my 1660 ti especailly since its plugged into a 4k so whats the max limit i can overclock my gpu to before it starts getting dangerous right now heres what i have it set to can i have it set higher than this or is this the best it can do?

image.png.e9d0b2b370e817f5fa72d15b2adfbd6a.png

GPU overclocking limits used to be more sensitive when adjusting voltage was still available. Since it's not anymore, you kind of have training wheels attached.

Out of anything GTX 10 series and newer, often the best performance will be managed simply by maxing out the power limit and cranking the GPU frequency as high as it will allow before the system is unstable. But for the most part, GPU boost will be automatically giving you an increase in clock speed, so you probably don't even need to touch the MHz. My own GPU gets to almost 1900 MHz with no adjustments aside from power limit increase

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Every card has a different limit than each other. Thats just the way oc'ing works. I would suggest moving up slowly, and seeing how it works before pushing too hard. Slow small jumps until you get your desired outcome or until you determine it is running too hot or improperly.

Edit: Other answers are correct I forgot they took out increasing voltage.

1 minute ago, ambidexwing said:

whats the max limit i can overclock my gpu to before it starts getting dangerous

You can max out the sliders and not do any damage to the card itself. The only way to damage the card is to overvolt it, and since Pascal that has been impossible without physically modifying the GPU to overvolt it to a point anywhere close to being dangerous. You still shouldn't crank the sliders and call it a day, there's no way that would be stable and you might need to rely on safe boot to go in and remove afterburner, but it isn't going to damage the card or anything like that, only be an annoyance. 

Right now the OC settings you're at are about where I'd expect the card to max out at. You might have a little bit of headroom on the core, but +200 is the most I'd hope for (most cards won't do this), and the difference between +100 and +150 on a 1660 Ti is not really enough to care about. 

its an msi 1660 ti so does the msi afterburn software work better on a msi card?

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You can max out the sliders and not do any damage to the card itself. The only way to damage the card is to overvolt it, and since Pascal that has been impossible without physically modifying the GPU to overvolt it to a point anywhere close to being dangerous. You still shouldn't crank the sliders and call it a day, there's no way that would be stable and you might need to rely on safe boot to go in and remove afterburner, but it isn't going to damage the card or anything like that, only be an annoyance. 

Right now the OC settings you're at are about where I'd expect the card to max out at. You might have a little bit of headroom on the core, but +200 is the most I'd hope for (most cards won't do this), and the difference between +100 and +150 on a 1660 Ti is not really enough to care about. 

so i can set the core clock to 200 right?

ok i set the core clock to 200 is that the limit of its overclocking

Just now, ambidexwing said:

its an msi 1660 ti so does the msi afterburn software work better on a msi card?

Not really. Afterburner behaves about the same on any GPU, be it from MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, etc.

2 minutes ago, ambidexwing said:

so i can set the core clock to 200 right?

You can set it to to 200, yes, just don't expect it to be stable. I'd expect that it's probably not, though it doesn't hurt to try. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Not really. Afterburner behaves about the same on any GPU, be it from MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, etc.

You can set it to to 200, yes, just don't expect it to be stable. I'd expect that it's probably not, though it doesn't hurt to try. 

160 core clock dnd 2000 memory clock seem to be the best overclock