My render and accurate messurments of the BL cooler

mohabed96

Just to clarify, I want to emphasize that I am not the individual who received the prototype, and I have no intention of sharing these drawings with anyone, regardless of the purpose. I undertook this project purely for entertainment, as I haven't utilized Fusion 360 in quite a few months and wanted to refresh my skills.

The measurements I've taken are remarkably close (within approximately 0.1mm) when compared to the drawings supplied by Billet Labs on their website, as well as in relation to the LGA 1700/3090 Ti specifications.

If there's any genuine concern about the possibility of a competitor of Billet Labs obtaining the prototype and creating imitation kits, rest assured that such concerns are unnecessary. Replicating this product is feasible for any bored electrical engineer in just three hours, all while listening to a podcast and taking two pizza breaks. It's highly unlikely that any large-scale manufacturer would pursue replicating this product, not due to its lack of quality, but rather because it's not aligned with their market strategy. Just as Toyota refrains from creating drag racing cars, this cooler falls into a similar category. The manufacturing process for this cooler would demand numerous machine hours and a significant amount of materials. It's plausible that producing this cooler is more cost-effective for Billet Labs compared to a larger manufacturer. The unique "handcrafted" nature of this cooler, coupled with the extensive machine hours required, renders a traditional production line largely ineffective.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.png

4.jpg

5.jpg

Finally someone that uses his brain. What the hell is happening, why is everybody so avid to discredit Linus for such an at most average performing product? I would add that Linus was composed and didn't shit on this cooler like he could've done, and he could rightfully do so. If this shitstorm would've been about accuracy, maybe I could understand, cuz the community would've wanted LTT to grow... But this is not even about Linus anymore, it's about justice. WHAT JUSTICE?! Billet made a post about refusing Linus's offer to get back their "best prototype" =)))). On what grounds? On the grounds of the integrity of the cooler (That maybe it doesn't work anymore =))))). Sure Billet, take the moneyz (sum which they refused to disclose) and play the victim card

P.S: I made an account just because people are unsubscribing and I also subscribed to floatplane. 

Jeeezus Christ

14 hours ago, andreimj said:

Finally someone that uses his brain. What the hell is happening, why is everybody so avid to discredit Linus for such an at most average performing product? I would add that Linus was composed and didn't shit on this cooler like he could've done, and he could rightfully do so. If this shitstorm would've been about accuracy, maybe I could understand, cuz the community would've wanted LTT to grow... But this is not even about Linus anymore, it's about justice. WHAT JUSTICE?! Billet made a post about refusing Linus's offer to get back their "best prototype" =)))). On what grounds? On the grounds of the integrity of the cooler (That maybe it doesn't work anymore =))))). Sure Billet, take the moneyz (sum which they refused to disclose) and play the victim card

P.S: I made an account just because people are unsubscribing and I also subscribed to floatplane. 

Jeeezus Christ

lmaooo

the uproar isn't solely because a "competitor" can copy their product, the uproar is because LTT had received a unit to review with a 3090TI, but they conducted the review with 4090 (which has different dimensions). Then THEY SOLD A PROTOTYPE THAT DID NOT BELONG TO THEM. Linus also refused to redo the product review because he didn't want to spend an extra $500 to pay someone to review the product correctly. It's the hypocrisy. Linus is ready to bash other companies/people when they do something wrong, but he doesn't hold himself accountable. 

14 hours ago, ayysub said:

lmaooo

the uproar isn't solely because a "competitor" can copy their product, the uproar is because LTT had received a unit to review with a 3090TI, but they conducted the review with 4090 (which has different dimensions). Then THEY SOLD A PROTOTYPE THAT DID NOT BELONG TO THEM. Linus also refused to redo the product review because he didn't want to spend an extra $500 to pay someone to review the product correctly. It's the hypocrisy. Linus is ready to bash other companies/people when they do something wrong, but he doesn't hold himself accountable. 

DO you know what they talked? Have you seen the conversations? DO you know what terms they accepted when submitted the product for review? Do you know that Billet said that it might work with a 4090? Do you know what type of 4090 that was? How do you know that it didn't fit when Billet didn't know in the first place? Oh, they changed their mind afterwards, how convenient. Do you know that they refused Linus's offer to get back their "best prototype"? Maybe they like the moneyz more (sum which Billet refused to disclose)

DO you know what they talked? Have you seen the conversations? DO you know what terms they accepted when submitted the product for review? Do you know that Billet said that it might work with a 4090? Do you know what type of 4090 that was? How do you know that it didn't fit when Billet didn't know in the first place? Oh, they changed their mind afterwards, how convenient. Do you know that they refused Linus's offer to get back their "best prototype"? Maybe they like the moneyz more (sum which Billet refused to disclose)

Why are putting best prototype in quotes?

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

lmaooo

Ehmm I did not say who should be mad, or what they should be mad about. you can keep that chitchat for the main gn thread. 

All I said is that people who geniunally were worried that the auctioning of the prototype could have lead to LB "IP" leaking can rest assure that the drawings BL themself provide are sufficent enough to create blueprints for the product. And yes, plenty of people were and still think that this product is some secret space age inovation, its not, its a fairly simple mechanical device, the imressive part about it is the dedication and total machine hours invold in its production. LB themself mention twice in their offical statements that they were worried of IP leaking.....

Maybe dont call random people fanbois whilst you wave the pitchfork my dude, you are made from the same cloth as people who think linus did nothing wrong here. 

🤦‍♂️

they sent them a prototype to review along with a 3090ti. LTT couldn't find the 3090ti for 9 weeks, so they said 'what the heck lets try a 4090'. Billet didn't have a 4090 let alone make the prototype for the 4090, so obviously they don't know if the prototype would be compatible with the 4090. Later, Billet find out theres a mm clearance issue when the prototype is paired with a 4090. What do you mean terms of the review? If I send you a product and prototype to test together, but you test the prototype with something else, you don't see a problem with that?? Linus had a chance to make the situation right 

Billet said that they "could try" to use the 4090, they didn't say it might work. You don't even know what you're talking about simp. 

Do you know that they refused to get the prototype back because they don't know if its in good working condition, let alone if linus could even get the prototype back? Why would they wait around for the original prototype when they already started making a new one. 

4 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

Why are putting best prototype in quotes?

because to say that that thing is their best prototype is a joke. Those fins won't do shiet with that design. Do you guys know what fluid dynamics and heat transfer is? No, you don't. That's why you need somebody else to tell you what to think

Just now, andreimj said:

because to say that that thing is their best prototype is a joke. Those fins won't do shiet with that design. Do you guys know what fluid dynamics and heat transfer is? No, you don't. That's why you need somebody else to tell you what to think

So they had a better one, but decided not to send that one? 😆

^ not a crypto wallet

7 minutes ago, ayysub said:

🤦‍♂️

they sent them a prototype to review along with a 3090ti. LTT couldn't find the 3090ti for 9 weeks, so they said 'what the heck lets try a 4090'. Billet didn't have a 4090 let alone make the prototype for the 4090, so obviously they don't know if the prototype would be compatible with the 4090. Later, Billet find out theres a mm clearance issue when the prototype is paired with a 4090. What do you mean terms of the review? If I send you a product and prototype to test together, but you test the prototype with something else, you don't see a problem with that?? Linus had a chance to make the situation right 

Billet said that they "could try" to use the 4090, they didn't say it might work. You don't even know what you're talking about simp. 

Do you know that they refused to get the prototype back because they don't know if its in good working condition, let alone if linus could even get the prototype back? Why would they wait around for the original prototype when they already started making a new one. 

You are projecting what ifs and constructing discutions that you don't know if happened or how they happened. YOU DON'T HAVE THE FULL CONTEXT. Not to say that when given the opportunity to get back the cooler, Billet said no because they like the moneyz

3 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

So they had a better one, but decided not to send that one? 😆

🤦‍♂️ wut?

1 minute ago, andreimj said:

You are projecting what ifs and constructing discutions that you don't know if happened or how they happened. YOU DON'T HAVE THE FULL CONTEXT. Not to say that when given the opportunity to get back the cooler, Billet said no because they like the moneyz

But you have the full context. Intriguing.

^ not a crypto wallet

Realistically, if a start-up sends some product to the media (not limited to tech industry). they already are in the production fase, maybe they are opening orders and could even have something ready for shipping, which means all the engineering/R&D/manufacturing validation has already been done. 

BilletLabs' block, IIRC, was not an engineering sample , so to my eyes, the effective value of that waterblock wasn't much greater than the retail price.

Engineering samples, both in the R&D phase and in the quality control of the first production batches are invaluable for the manufacturer.

That block if not "lost into the wild", would have been destined to other media, so it might not have come back to BL in months. Sure more media coverage = better publicity, the more the better, but LTT is one of the most known media outlets for PCs, so with that sort of review by LTT, a big portion of the potential customers was already informed. How many People that follow GN or HUB or other reviewers DO NOT follow LTT? I think not a lot. LTT is (now for a few thousands of people was) the first place to learn something new tech-related. Not everyone is interested in seeing all the graphs and super-techincal analisys. Millions of people like you and me just care if a GPU is good is capable of playing the shiny new game at whatever display resolution the current monitor is. How many people that CANNOT afford a 4090 do care about its performance in 4K ultra raytracing in a game they are not playing afterall? Pardon this tangent, back to the topic.

BL now had A LOT of media exposure, A LOT of people looking at their web page, potentially remembering their name for the future. They had the opportunity to get instant money (what is 2 weeks of delay when a product like that could have taken one year or more to develop?) or get the block back. If they got the block back, they now would need to spend money to check if it is still good, and send it to the next youtuber. If they get the money, they lose one prototype, but have instant cash to invest into manufacturing or development of the product. I'm sure they already have at least a couple dozens of blocks at their disposal, so one more or one less is not that big of a deal.

I feel like all this shitstorm towards Linus is a bit exaggerated. Sure, LMG has done things bad. Video QC was bad lately. Someone fucked up real bad by auctioning the waterblock. Someone else fucked up by loosing the 3090TI and using the 4090 for the review. Linus fucked up because said no to spending more time into retesting. Linus fucked up again with the statement on the forum. A lot of things could and should have been dealt better, and must be done better in the future if they want to recover from this.

Pitchforks are not required for this first world problem. Pitchforks are never the answer nor the medium to solve problems. WE ARE NO LONGER IN THE MIDDLEAGE FOR FUCKS SAKE

57 minutes ago, andreimj said:

Billet made a post about refusing Linus's offer to get back their "best prototype" =)))). On what grounds? On the grounds of the integrity of the cooler (That maybe it doesn't work anymore =)))))

They explained the reasons for preferring the money over having the prototype retrieved on Reddit. To boil that entire post down to "the integrity of the cooler" is to ignore the vast majority of what they said. Whether you agree with them or not, you can't just outright ignore the investment they've made in building a replacement or the time pressures and uncertainty of a date they could expect their prototype back and still expect your post to be taken in good faith.

Man the forum became toxic real quick this week...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

lmaooo

His conclusion wasn't based on any data, he said the price was to high and wasn't doing anything revolutionary. He didn't say anything about how it didn't properly cool and acknowledged that they had it on a GPU that BL said they weren't 100% sure was going to work fully with. He said that the best case scenario it's temps are slightly better but that it just wasn't worth it. He did not say that it was worse or preformed subpar compared to other solutions. If he had redone the video with the 3090ti the only thing that might have changed is that it preformed slightly better like he predicted but it wouldn't have changed his conclusion 

Why are you people so god dam angry, this is a storm in a glass of water, chill. You dont know any of these people, none of them are your friends, this just some internett drama, this post was about how easy it would be for anyone to copy the BL cooler, but no one would dot it because it would be even more expensive, it was not meant as a continuation of the toxic gn thread, go there if you want to lob shit at each other, please. 

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

Man the forum became toxic real quick this week...

You should see the subreddit. It's gone past pitchforks to tar and feathers/stoning. Every comment now is just about how much linus sucks but phrased in different ways

3 minutes ago, HighGuard121 said:

You should see the subreddit. It's gone past pitchforks to tar and feathers/stoning. Every comment now is just about how much linus sucks but phrased in different ways

Yeah I stopped cheching the subreddit regurarly after the trust me bro incident, its 90% complaining at the best of times when there is no drama, I checked it a couple of hours ago and boy is it disturbing, I genunally dont see how people can be so invested in these parasocial relathionships. 

5 minutes ago, HighGuard121 said:

What baffles me is that there is no middle ground. why can't we accept that we don't have the full picture on this? I agree that things could've been done better. But this? This is not even about Linus anymore, and we are on Linustechtips ffs

That’s what I’ve been thinking and saying this entire time. While the idea is pretty new and neat, a competitor that knew what they were doing would have no need to have the product in hand to make a competing product.

From the concept alone they should be able to make something. Let alone the video, like you prove, shows everything you’d need to know about making one.

And yes, this thread was what finally convinced me to make a profile for the forums.

Mind if I auction off your design? (For charity)

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

9 minutes ago, RoseLuck462 said:

Mind if I auction off your design? (For charity)

Sure if bc children's hospital gets some money and you give me an open check as an apology XD 

jokes aside, we should wait for wan show, linus wont be able to hold back, he will respond, could be way worse then we thought, could be just a nothing burger and a simple misunderstaning. 

2 hours ago, dndfm said:

If there's any genuine concern about the possibility of a competitor of Billet Labs obtaining the prototype and creating imitation kits, rest assured that such concerns are unnecessary. Replicating this product is feasible for any bored electrical engineer in just three hours, all while listening to a podcast and taking two pizza breaks. It's highly unlikely that any large-scale manufacturer would pursue replicating this product, not due to its lack of quality, but rather because it's not aligned with their market strategy. Just as Toyota refrains from creating drag racing cars, this cooler falls into a similar category. The manufacturing process for this cooler would demand numerous machine hours and a significant amount of materials. It's plausible that producing this cooler is more cost-effective for Billet Labs compared to a larger manufacturer. The unique "handcrafted" nature of this cooler, coupled with the extensive machine hours required, renders a traditional production line largely ineffective.

Not surprisingly, you have omitted your qualifications to make these judgements.  You and Linus have a lot in common. 

I'd offer that it's 100% up to Billet Labs to decide the value of the prototype, and the information it could provide to anyone.  And at this point, they can pretty much write their own check. 

7 hours ago, Harpo said:

Not surprisingly, you have omitted your qualifications to make these judgements.  You and Linus have a lot in common. 

I'd offer that it's 100% up to Billet Labs to decide the value of the prototype, and the information it could provide to anyone.  And at this point, they can pretty much write their own check. 

Thats not how that works, if I send LTT a cooler and allow them do dissasmble it on video, and post detailed pictures on my own website, I can't cry about leaking IP when anyone with a little of experience can replicate the cooler whitout ever touching it.