LMG Car Channel?

Hello! First forum post here! I have been watching LTT since the Langly House days and love the content. Have you all considered creating a car channel, I have loved seeing the car reviews on Short Circut and think a channel, similar to Auto Focus, would be really cool to see from the LMG team. Something with a weekly or biweekly schedule would be fun. I don't know, I have had this on my mind for a few months and never really knew where to share it. Then I remembered the forum existed lol.

Tate Mikles

2 minutes ago, RealLastRock said:

Hello! First forum post here! I have been watching LTT since the Langly House days and love the content. Have you all considered creating a car channel, I have loved seeing the car reviews on Short Circut and think a channel, similar to Auto Focus, would be really cool to see from the LMG team. Something with a weekly or biweekly schedule would be fun. I don't know, I have had this on my mind for a few months and never really knew where to share it. Then I remembered the forum existed lol.

They don't need more projects to deal with, they are already swamped as it is.  Leave the car reviews for proper car review channels that have made their name by doing so.  I like Alex's take on some of the cars of course, but I think that should be it.

They been asked this question on WAN show before i believe. Linus loves the idea but he at the time i dont think he has the resources to add something meaningful to the YouTube auto vehicle community.

Also, this is just my opinion i think it's great to have them on the main channel cuz it also helps with their 1 per day LTT videos which i bet can be really hard to meet sometimes. If they start branching everything off into their own channel (a purely Linux channel, purely power supply channel, purely car channel) what are they gonna show on the main channel?!?

43 minutes ago, RealLastRock said:

Nah LMG already has enough to deal with, there videos are already impacted since they are uploading over 8 videos a week. A car channel would just make there schedule more packed.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

1 hour ago, Mayday793 said:

They been asked this question on WAN show before i believe. Linus loves the idea but he at the time i dont think he has the resources to add something meaningful to the YouTube auto vehicle community.

Also, this is just my opinion i think it's great to have them on the main channel cuz it also helps with their 1 per day LTT videos which i bet can be really hard to meet sometimes. If they start branching everything off into their own channel (a purely Linux channel, purely power supply channel, purely car channel) what are they gonna show on the main channel?!?

Huh, I never thought about it like that! Thank you for the perspective!

Tate Mikles

Considering the amount of work that will need, and allegations of being bought by manufacturers already, doesn't seem that feasible. It would require starting thats like Mac Address. With 1-3 writers/reviewers/hosts and 1-2 camera/editors. Not like with SC or Gamelinked where content is close enough for main channel to be able to use existing staff.

The glances (I mainly only listen SC content) I've had when they do car stuff also makes me cringe a bit. Reviews are done on public streets. While this might not be issue, the bigger channels will have advantage of doing safer and more professional reviews. With track testing (safer to test high-speeds, cornering etc.). I'm pretty sure LMG had got couple of notes from local police already for filming while driving (when camera is on dashboard or cameraperson is sitting next to driver). So if they take this move onwards, quality and safety should be top 1 priority.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 hours ago, RealLastRock said:

They want to make a car channel, specially Alex, but can't do now. With how fast the team is growing, maybe next year they can do that.

On 8/14/2023 at 9:57 PM, Hinjima said:

They don't need more projects to deal with, they are already swamped as it is.  Leave the car reviews for proper car review channels that have made their name by doing so.  I like Alex's take on some of the cars of course, but I think that should be it.

They do have the time for it if managed accordingly. I'd love to see more LTT reviews on cars, similar to what MKBHD is doing. Always nice to have another point of view.

On 8/15/2023 at 7:23 AM, RealLastRock said:

Doug DeMuro is pretty good when it comes to car reviews. For jank stuff, I like classic British top gear/grand tour.

Sounds like they already are criticized for being flaky for computer related data in videos.... Which should be their core competency. How well do you think they do in a topic they literally aren't experienced in? 

There are industry insider YT channels that really know cars. What do you think a computer expert could bring to the table to outcompete them? 

Search for Weber Auto, Munro Live, Engineering Explained and Driving4answers and tell me LTT could add something above and beyond that.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

14 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Doug DeMuro is pretty good when it comes to car reviews.

The fool who complained about a ferrari being a ferrari? Yah nah.

5 hours ago, Uzrathixius said:

The fool who complained about a ferrari being a ferrari? Yah nah.

Every auto reviewer is going to have a bias. The type of person who likes LTTs car reviews will be perfectly happy with Doug Demuro.

It's like saying that people who like mkbhd for audio reviews shouldn't watch him and instead read ASR because it is more true to facts. Sure, but the person watching MKBHD doesn't really care about whether stax electrostats will be better than planar magnetic and stuff like that(idk, I don't read ASR)

6 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Every auto reviewer is going to have a bias. The type of person who likes LTTs car reviews will be perfectly happy with Doug Demuro.

It's like saying that people who like mkbhd for audio reviews shouldn't watch him and instead read ASR because it is more true to facts. 

You are probably right about this. As long as they just do an entertainment car show (and not actually disassembling cars, or knowing how the car systems actually work), LMG probably could do a car channel easily and cheaply. it just won't be something that is actually high quality, which is fine since clicks don't require quality. 

Here some that you cannot replicate without actual knowledge:

https://www.youtube.com/@MunroLive

https://www.youtube.com/@EngineeringExplained

https://www.youtube.com/@WeberAuto

https://www.youtube.com/@d4a

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Lurking said:

Here some that you cannot replicate without actual knowledge

I mean knowledge is always relative to something. There are always going to be places and people who are significantly more in depth than the people you showed. I don't mind that.

What I feel is that this kind of elitist(not shown by you but the person above you) and gatekeep-y attitude to gateway drug type channels is frankly tiresome and annoying.

Problem is there is already an existing ecosystem of channels on YouTube and elsewhere that do car reviews.

I don't see what niche they would fill.

40 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

I mean knowledge is always relative to something. There are always going to be places and people who are significantly more in depth than the people you showed. I don't mind that.

What I feel is that this kind of elitist(not shown by you but the person above you) and gatekeep-y attitude to gateway drug type channels is frankly tiresome and annoying.

A LOT of car (or any other technology) channel will be just a guy making donuts in a 500 hp car or tinting the windows and telling us how good it rides... and there are already 1000s of channels that do that. More a hobby turned into a channel. Obviously it is all personal preference. 

I don't watch LMG since to me it is too superficial (no judgment). I'm more a GN guy (i also don't game, which makes all GPU content meaningless to me mostly). I'm really intrigued by the channel I linked. i realize that there is not LMG size audience that want to know how the Tesla parts are casted, how a Honda CRV hybrid drivetrain differs from a Prius or the thermodynamic facts on hydrogen or the actual programming of the MAP. 

Ultimately my estimate how successful an LMG car show would be is meaningless. I'm sure LMG would research that before to judge how many people would click. I just personally don't think we need one more entertainment car channel in addition tot he 1000 we already have. But we would benefit from one more engineering car channel in addition to the 4 above. but that is actually really hard and requires people that are somewhat working int he industry.  

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

10 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Every auto reviewer is going to have a bias.

It's not a bias. If you purchase a manual, then bitch that it's a manual...that's not a bias, that's stupidity. Frankly, anyone who wrote for the...oh idk whatever they decide to call it today, a blog or website, Jalopnik, is just trash. 

10 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

people who like mkbhd for audio reviews shouldn't watch him

Agreed. He's little more than a QVC host, tbf. Frankly, he's just b-roll of something with milquetoast takes. 

You're picking winners here. 

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing correctly. That can be applied to the whole goings ons right now. 

10 hours ago, Uzrathixius said:

It's not a bias. If you purchase a manual, then bitch that it's a manual...that's not a bias, that's stupidity. Frankly, anyone who wrote for the...oh idk whatever they decide to call it today, a blog or website, Jalopnik, is just trash. 

Agreed. He's little more than a QVC host, tbf. Frankly, he's just b-roll of something with milquetoast takes. 

You're picking winners here. 

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing correctly. That can be applied to the whole goings ons right now. 

What I am saying is that people have different definitions for what is "correct". An ASR reader will thank that LTTs audio reviews are bad. Someone who consumes only MKBHD will think that LTT is the gold standard because they put up fr graphs.