Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

11 minutes ago, Mr. Rabbit said:

He's on Reddit posting too, and he seems mad because Tim got fired and about other decisions.
And the fact that it took all of this drama for LMG to change

i doubt tim got fired over the labs tour comments. just silly conspiracies 

3 minutes ago, perryckd said:

It's way more likely he was fired for poor performance or other issues than a silly comment, but could be anything, really.

But we'll never know, so probably best not to try and guess/cook up more drama.

9 minutes ago, perryckd said:

While the exact circumstances are pure speculation, and while I agree that I don't think it was over just the labs tour comments, this is a bit more than "silly conspiracies". 

That said, I wouldn't jump the gun and ride the hate bandwagon just yet. 

5pjdhx8cedlb1.pngimage.png.2645a3026662393dbdbcb8c7425e5cc5.png

10 minutes ago, William Payne said:

So did someone actually get fired? 

No hard confirmation yet. All we have is Aprime's salty posts, and Tim liking them and also not being employed there anymore.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Rabbit said:

He's on Reddit posting too, and he seems mad because Tim got fired and about other decisions.
And the fact that it took all of this drama for LMG to change

Have any links or screenshots?

7 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

No hard confirmation yet. All we have is Aprime's salty posts, and Tim liking them and also not being employed there anymore.

Have any links or screenshots?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9d4eb9bc5d06ae3689ed91f87492fd4b.png

image.thumb.png.b695e9bf77bda94a38dcd95ed021ca87.png

image.thumb.png.6af0d09f3e47746bb98fb1dee1510f16.png

firing Tim will only justified guerilla nexus hateful videos. Linus latest video did mentioned about some staff headz will be on the line after performance reviews 

Tim, the guy that made the comments about the labs testing, is gone.

HMMMMMMMMMMM.

This font is amazing.

2 hours ago, Mr. Rabbit said:

It's way more likely he was fired for poor performance or other issues than a silly comment, but could be anything, really.

But we'll never know, so probably best not to try and guess/cook up more drama.

Best not to guess so guess anyway? 

1 hour ago, IKWMTY said:

Best not to guess so guess anyway? 

I didn't mean that as a guess, but yeah, that might be interpreted as one. Sorry.

People keep on going back to Billet.  Sure, it's one of LMG's bigger mistakes. But unless Billet calls for action from the community, people gotta stop white-knighting. Same goes for LMG employees.  No one understands the situation better than the people involved.  Even if they are being treated or targeted unfairly, arbitrary influence on their situation from the community could make their situation worse, or go against their wishes. We do not have the type of relationship with these people that allow us, or give us the right, to meddle, assuming we know better than the people involved.  Now people are gonna speculate, and for the most part, that's all I see going on in this thread. But I agree with others here that it's important to remind ourselves not to take it any further than that at this point.

As an aside, nice paraphrasing of Louis Rossman by @Drazil100.

Seeing the conversation around GN, I am also very surprised, and disappointed that GN has not followed up yet.  Though apparently they released, then took down their own explainer/standards style video?  Makes me hopeful that they have their own introspection going on, as personally they are starting to remind me of paparazzi or scandal writers. They have held LMG and others to high professional standards, and while GNs data collection, testing, and analysis are top notch, their journalistic professionalism needs looking at.

On the other hand, as caveats to my arguments, I disagree with calling Steve a snake, or other names, like I've heard. And while contacting a company before writing about them is a professional courtesy, it's not necessary.

Back to my point though, after releasing such high impact videos with completely one sided inflammatory content, it should be partially their responsibility to engage with the aftermath, and follow up. At least, if they have any journalistic integrity.

4 hours ago, Leksi T said:

But I agree with others here that it's important to remind ourselves not to take it any further than that at this point.

Good point as it's the community that collectively lost its shit by speculating and assuming things that weren't said in the GN video.

4 hours ago, Leksi T said:

Back to my point though, after releasing such high impact videos with completely one sided inflammatory content, it should be partially their responsibility to engage with the aftermath, and follow up. At least, if they have any journalistic integrity.

Whoops, looks like you need to take your own advice and quit with the disingenuous hyperbole.

On 8/30/2023 at 10:34 PM, hassam222 said:

The most Billet Labs could get out of a lawsuit would be the cost of the block.

If you don't have a clue, sometimes you should just save commenting.

I would also be interested to know the reason why they are not suing. I suspect that there was no concrete agreement. They sent the block to Linus "to play with" - and that's exactly what he did. Crying afterwards because the bad kid didn't like the block is really bad.

On 8/31/2023 at 1:53 PM, yoc said:

Tim, the guy that made the comments about the labs testing, is gone.

HMMMMMMMMMMM.

Unfortunately, he was going to leave anyway and wasn't fired. If anyone deserved it, it was him.

I remember fellow readers than company and employee can reach an agreement for allowing the employee to leave... in better terms than usual... with NDA agreements between and designed obliges to fulfill...

I have no knowledge of what happened and I am not implying any of that happened between these two former employes.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

On 8/30/2023 at 4:43 PM, IKWMTY said:

If you care so much, you should email Billet Labs instead of asking some random internet poster who has zero affiliation with them. I can think of a number of valid reasons why they haven't (and won't) file a lawsuit and it's quite telling that you can't.

None of your "gotchas" have worked out the way you hoped, maybe you should try digging up?

I see Burke and Simps still hard at work.

The hilarious irony is that you're still posting in this thread defending GN\Steve against every post, but go on about others caring so much. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Even Linus and Co have moved on. lol

Kudos to the moderators for allowing this topic to continue. It's most likely to avoid you starting another to cry more about how bad LMG is. 

8 hours ago, IKWMTY said:

Good point as it's the community that collectively lost its shit by speculating and assuming things that weren't said in the GN video.

Whoops, looks like you need to take your own advice and quit with the disingenuous hyperbole.

Nah, at this point I truly feel that GN is, or at least was, headed in a very bad direction, in regards to the areas I pointed out.  And there are topics that the community does have a say in, or a part to play.  The content that we put stock in, being a prime example.  And while I see your point about hyperbole, and perhaps I could have worded it lighter,  my opinions and feelings on the subject fully align with the statement right now. In addition, that has been my most inflammatory statement by far, and has been caveat-ed and put in context enough by my own words to really limit any action it would provoke, assuming anyone even gave a crap in the first place.

EDIT/PS: OK, that was pretty much kneejerk defending myself.  Maybe I need to additionally clarify:  I believe GN needs to revisit their journalistic standards.  While their unbending will to not cave in to pressure from larger companies is commendable, along with their data accuracy, the criticisms that they favor hit pieces, scandals, and overall one-sided content is starting to ring more true than ever, at least in my opinion.  I mostly wish for them to temper their message, or if they can't, feeling that their message would lose the impact they are going for, that they follow up such content as new information arises.

Also, apparently, GN did do a video about their companies practices, but they needed to take it down due to community backlash.  I have little idea of the content of that video, or the specifics of why it needed to be taken down. (GN cites tone and timing issues as reasons)  But the fact that they released the video, and the fact that they feel it needs more work could point to them also doing their own introspection in their company.  I hope that is the case. Ideally the best result that could come from all this is that the entire tech news industry emerges with a more solid foundation to work from.  I know JTC and other companies have stated that they are also taking a look at themselves as a result of the lessons that can be learned from LTTs mistakes.

35 minutes ago, Leksi T said:

Also, apparently, GN did do a video about their companies practices, but they needed to take it down due to community backlash.  I have little idea of the content of that video, or the specifics of why it needed to be taken down. (GN cites tone and timing issues as reasons)  But the fact that they released the video, and the fact that they feel it needs more work could point to them also doing their own introspection in their company.  I hope that is the case. Ideally the best result that could come from all this is that the entire tech news industry emerges with a more solid foundation to work from.  I know JTC and other companies have stated that they are also taking a look at themselves as a result of the lessons that can be learned from LTTs mistakes.

So I watched at least the first half before it went down again. My take was that it was a response to recent criticism, but mainly from the community. It didn’t mention LMG but did outline their procedures for handling a media outlet, their criteria for ‘contact or non contact’ investigations, and stuff along those lines. Steve claimed that it was mostly existing policies that he had very ad-hoc stuck to over the years but not put on paper, and recent criticism showed him he needed to make these policies firm, visible and public, but I do think they were at least partially rewritten using experience from recent events. He took it down because people saw it as stirring the pot further when it’s clear from his lack of videos on the issue that he actually just intended to put it out there, let the public see it, and then stay the fuck out of the ensuing mess.

7 minutes ago, McGherkin said:

So I watched at least the first half before it went down again. My take was that it was a response to recent criticism, but mainly from the community. It didn’t mention LMG but did outline their procedures for handling a media outlet, their criteria for ‘contact or non contact’ investigations, and stuff along those lines. Steve claimed that it was mostly existing policies that he had very ad-hoc stuck to over the years but not put on paper, and recent criticism showed him he needed to make these policies firm, visible and public, but I do think they were at least partially rewritten using experience from recent events. He took it down because people saw it as stirring the pot further when it’s clear from his lack of videos on the issue that he actually just intended to put it out there, let the public see it, and then stay the fuck out of the ensuing mess.

Thanks for the info.  I guess I will have to wait until they repost it to form my own opinion, but at least for now it seems GN is taking community feedback seriously.  It's understandable why GN would want to keep clear of the mess right now, but I'm finding it really hard to let go of the thought that GN really needs to follow the LMG story up, directly, sooner than later.  Even if it's just "LMG promised X, Y, and Z.  We'll keep an eye out moving forward."  Part of the value of GN is that Steve will face down a camera and say what he thinks he needs to say, despite any pressure on him.  The message I am getting right now is either GN doesn't care about what's happened after their last HW news, or that there is enough pressure on them that they either are having to spend days preparing a response, or that they can't respond.  I like none of these possibilities.

But then... if GN actually thinks they need to revisit their practices, that requires time too.  It's frustrating.

2 hours ago, Leksi T said:

Thanks for the info.  I guess I will have to wait until they repost it to form my own opinion, but at least for now it seems GN is taking community feedback seriously.  It's understandable why GN would want to keep clear of the mess right now, but I'm finding it really hard to let go of the thought that GN really needs to follow the LMG story up, directly, sooner than later.  Even if it's just "LMG promised X, Y, and Z.  We'll keep an eye out moving forward."  Part of the value of GN is that Steve will face down a camera and say what he thinks he needs to say, despite any pressure on him.  The message I am getting right now is either GN doesn't care about what's happened after their last HW news, or that there is enough pressure on them that they either are having to spend days preparing a response, or that they can't respond.  I like none of these possibilities.

But then... if GN actually thinks they need to revisit their practices, that requires time too.  It's frustrating.

You can find GN's current policies here https://gamers.nexus/ethics-statements

The video in question is still posted here https://streamable.com/27x0ck?src=player-page-share

I'm not sure what the point of another GN follow-up video be? No matter what GN posted, it would just be more internet fueled drama and it's not like there is anything new to report. Maybe in a year once the lab is actually up an running?

• History of Failure to Resolve Issues or Unprofessionalism in prior Communications (we previously had non-public contact with the organization about similar matters that were not resolved satisfactorily or wherein we sometimes were the recipients of aggressive messaging pertaining to review topics).

This interests me a lot, as it would explain why GN was so aggressive with their message.   Other than that, their policies are solid overall. After reading through all of that and watching the video, as well as remembering Steve's statements in last HW news; They may just be of the stance that they have no responsibility to anyone but their audience and the message GN feels the audience needs to hear, and any opinions of, and support for their subject matter is bias/fanboyism and not important to address.  If that's the case, it's not wrong, or necessarily a bad way to go about things.  I guess I might just start thinking of Steve vaguely like a lawyer.  He's going to say some important stuff, so I'll listen. But he's not going to say anything that doesn't directly support his goals, and if I want to hear the whole story, I better go listen to the other guy as well.

4 hours ago, IKWMTY said:

I'm not sure what the point of another GN follow-up video be? No matter what GN posted, it would just be more internet fueled drama and it's not like there is anything new to report. Maybe in a year once the lab is actually up an running?

I was thinking a minimum along the lines of "LMG promised/didn't promise X, our opinion is Y".  Even if that opinion is "We'll have to wait and see".  And I don't mean a dedicated video, just like a short segment on HW news.   But with what I said above, and honestly getting a little tired of trying to analyze everything, maybe you're right.  

On 8/28/2023 at 1:57 PM, Why_Me said:

He tested it on the wrong gpu. Remember this is a tech site.

That Billet Labs themselves told him it "should" work with. Please stop leaving that part out. They reached out to BL's about that. Had BL said "No, it only works on a 3090", then they probably would have tried harder to use it on a 3090.

And as much as that video was a lot of cringe and I was disappointed in it, I have to agree with Linus on that one; who would spend 800$ on a water block to use on previous gen hardware? Even if it performed at the level it was claimed to be at, it still wouldn't have changed their conclusion. Don't buy it.

6 hours ago, Aluminumhaste said:

That Billet Labs themselves told him it "should" work with. Please stop leaving that part out. They reached out to BL's about that. Had BL said "No, it only works on a 3090", then they probably would have tried harder to use it on a 3090.

And as much as that video was a lot of cringe and I was disappointed in it, I have to agree with Linus on that one; who would spend 800$ on a water block to use on previous gen hardware? Even if it performed at the level it was claimed to be at, it still wouldn't have changed their conclusion. Don't buy it.

Who would buy it? Whoever needs it. In a conventional case, you shouldn't buy it but if someone is making a bespoke piece that requires that part then you buy that part in order to fit the vision. It's not a product that makes sense for Linus, it's not a product that makes sense for you.

800$ is a lot of money but it's not unobtainable. People still occasionally build $ 8,000 PCs, $800 for a unique item that might be an interesting centerpiece is reasonable. There is a version of this built for the 4090, it is not quite yet outdated.

12 hours ago, Aluminumhaste said:

THIS.