The HTC One Mini 2, smaller form but still more than a mouthful

MooseParade

HTC just announced the release of the One Mini 2, a direct upgrade to the One Mini. 

CPU: 1.2ghz Snapdragon 400

RAM: 1gb

Storage: 16gb + microSD

Screen: 4.5" LCD 720p

Camera: 13mp rear, 5mp front (no Ultra pixel)

Battery: 2100 mAh

Pricing is expected to be around $329 USD

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8005/htc-one-mini-2-announcement

post-4564-0-58627800-1400139928.jpg

post-4564-0-58627800-1400139928.jpg

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Awesome! Would you guys recommend this phone? I'm in the market for a new android phone but my budget is tight, and I also LOVE the look and build quality of the HTC One line, would this be a good option?

Unless you can't live without metal, the Oneplus One will beat this one in every single aspect for just 20 extra bucks

The OnePlus One is 5.5" 

This is a mini-smartphone. Size might just be a factor. 

Edit: I'd only recommend this if you are after a small phone in particular. It's gimped on specs as well as size. You'd be better off getting a HTC One (m7) imho if you are looking for a normal sized smartphone (and like the HTC design).

The OnePlus One is 5.5" 

This is a mini-smartphone. Size might just be a factor. 

Edit: I'd only recommend this if you are after a small phone in particular. It's gimped on specs as well as size. You'd be better off getting a HTC One (m7) imho if you are looking for a normal sized smartphone (and like the HTC design).

If size matters, the Moto X is the same size and still has better specs for the same price.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Unless you can't live without metal, the Oneplus One will beat this one in every single aspect for just 20 extra bucks

When and if the OnePlus One actually becomes available and hits the market. Hard to recommend a phone that isn't being sold yet and doesn't have a release date.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Oh man this is looks perfect, too bad for the specs though

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Awesome! Would you guys recommend this phone? I'm in the market for a new android phone but my budget is tight, and I also LOVE the look and build quality of the HTC One line, would this be a good option?

Honestly this would be an amazing phone...if only the specs were better. I wish HTC took Sony's stance on mini versions.I

If I were you I'd wait a bit for the Z2 Compact if you're looking for small form factor, or the Moto X. Moto X+1 might be coming soon as well.

It's huge. And unavailable, and even when it's launched you need an invite.

When and if the OnePlus One actually becomes available and hits the market. Hard to recommend a phone that isn't being sold yet and doesn't have a release date.

Not to mention needing to get an invite to even have a chance of buying one ;)

I predict end of the summer before open availability. I think they jumped the reveal much too quickly.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On the contrary, if we already know that it's coming as soon as under a month I'd be hard pressed NOT to recommend to at least wait some days/weeks.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On the contrary, if we already know that it's coming as soon as under a month I'd be hard pressed NOT to recommend to at least wait some days/weeks.

There is no official release date. It's still in the "invitation" phase. Even then how long until it's openly available in the US market? Not to mention, at a 5.5" screen, it's a huge phone. It's not even in the same class as the Mini.

Personally, for my tastes, even my S3 is a bit too big. My Thunderbolt with it's 4.3" screen was perfect. I wouldn't even consider the OnePlus One.

The SoC is just too crappy (pretty much the same as the Moto G). Hell, CPU wise this might actually be worse than the old One Mini. Does HTC just think they can do whatever they want these days?

I don't see any reason getting this if it's more than ~200 dollars.

I just saw the expected price point... 360+ dollars? Wow...

Will still go for Sony Z1 compact.

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

so is the the 12  

or 12

or 12

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

With a much better camera lol.

Still a sore spot with the M8, that low res camera.

4.5 inches is the perfect size really!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

The SoC is just too crappy (pretty much the same as the Moto G). Hell, CPU wise this might actually be worse than the old One Mini. Does HTC just think they can do whatever they want these days?

But don't you know this is better because.....aluminum!..... :lol:

-------

Current Rig

-------

The SOC (Quad core) Is far from crappy and much better that the original One Mini's dual core. The CPU is more than adequate for most users, the GPU should be fine too due to the lower res.

Do you think they can deliver the awesome build quality at a $200 price point? No, the moto G is plastic for a reason (cost).

This phone is leaps and bounds better than the moto g and its worth the price premium in my opinion. Better build quality, better camera, better speakers, expandable storage (128 GB) Better screen.

It's worth it IMHO!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Not sure what to make of those specs but the phone itself looks amazing. I haven't got into large phones yet, not sure if I will anytime soon.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Not at all. This phone is wayyyy overpriced. It has nearly the same specs as the Moto G ($200). If i were you I'd wait for the Moto G LTE edition, it'll cost around $220 i believe

Praise Duarte!

The SOC (Quad core) Is far from crappy and much better that the original One Mini's dual core. The CPU is more than adequate for most users, the GPU should be fine too due to the lower res.

Do you think they can deliver the awesome build quality at a $200 price point? No, the moto G is plastic for a reason (cost).

This phone is leaps and bounds better than the moto g and its worth the price premium in my opinion. Better build quality, better camera, better speakers, expandable storage (128 GB) Better screen.

It's worth it IMHO!

How is it better? The original One Mini had a dual core Krait 200 CPU at 1.4GHz. This is a quad core A7 at 1.2GHz

Krait 200 is (very roughly) about 70% faster clock for clock than the A7, and it was higher clocked.

The GPU is exactly the same.

Do you have any source to prove that the screen is better than the Moto G?

Personally I would just get the Nexus 5 which is far better and basically the same price.

The best phone in this size is the Xperia Z1 compact. An extra 100. Bucks gets you a 720p 4.3 inch snap dragon 800 with amazing camera and waterproof

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

If they want to make a mini version of the one, why not put all the hardware from the full sized one into a smaller phone. So the same res screen, same cpu, same amount of ram etc. otherwise they are just making their flagship brand less of a premium IMO.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

If they want to make a mini version of the one, why not put all the hardware from the full sized one into a smaller phone. So the same res screen, same cpu, same amount of ram etc. otherwise they are just making their flagship brand less of a premium IMO.

For some strange reason (I suspect Samsung creating the stupid trend with the Galaxy Mini series but don't quote me on it) the mobile industry has decided that a "mini" version it's also a lower cost, mid range device. It can be frustrating that there's no really good way to get a flagship android device on a 4.x inch screen.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Didn't you know? Aluminium is the best material ever! The metal casing itself cost $500!! We're lucky the HTC One Mini 2 is only $360+ 

(Sarcasm)  :ph34r:

Core i5 3470 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ | Kingston 8GB DDR3 (1600Mhz) | Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V LGA1155 | Asus Geforce GTX 670 2GB DirectCUII OC | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATAIII | LITEON 24x DVD-RW | Cooler Master Silent Pro M600W | Xigmatek Midgard II Window | Logitech G100 Gaming Keyboard | LG 23" IPS234V | Edifier M1380 | Bravo Audio Ocean Tube Amp | Sennheiser HD600 | Sansa Clip+ | Yamaha EPH-100

I would try to get a good deal on the Moto X instead. The ONE Mini 2 doesn't even have a metal body. Look closely and you'll see that it's a platic body with a few metal bits stuck onto it.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.