AMD EXPO still not fixed - Should I switch to intel?

ChronoWise
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,
9 minutes ago, ChronoWise said:

Could I have faulty RAM or CPU? 

Fully anecdotal at this point but following Zen4 for the last 9 months and owning the platform myself (which has been flawless with EXPO), I'm willing to bet that Corsair kit is just crap. Their cheap DDR4 stuff was crap, and the last 9 months have told me that their DDR5 can be crap, at least with Zen4. Meanwhile I never see people with serious issues with G.Skill DDR5 w/ EXPO. My personal kit has been great, as have all the kits I've seen people use or helped people build since October. 

Again, completely anecdotal and I understand this. 

The amount of times I've come across new Zen4 builders having trouble and its a Corsair kit has grown large enough now that I simply cannot recommend anyone buys their DDR5 for AMD. G.Skill is known to work great, and often is cheaper. It's the memory AMD sent to reviewers at launch for review of their new platform so if its good enough for AMD, its good enough for us. 

A Flare X5 EXPO kit, DDR5-6000CL30 is $98 in the US. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LBstt6/gskill-flare-x5-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr5-6000-cl30-memory-f5-6000j3038f16gx2-fx5

Could always try manual tuning, however the simplest guide I have for good settings are for Hynix kits and I'm not sure what that Corsair kit is using. 

Ram has arrived. I applied EXPO profile I and it just worked. Did few Cinebench 23 runs, rebooted the PC few times, applied PBO, did some more runs of Cinebench R23. It looks like the Corsair ram was just crap or faulty. I'll get back to you guys in a few days to confirm everything is running stable, but for now it looks like we have found a fix :). 

Thanks to everyone involved, you guys were a huge help! 

FIX:
Changing ram kit from: CMK32GX5M2D6000Z36 to: F5-6000J3238F16GX2-FX5

The PC is operating stably without any issues. I've noticed that the booting time is significantly longer than with the Corsair kit. This may provide a clue to why the Corsair kit fails to post. When it does post, it takes much less time than G.SKILL.

In summary, if you're waiting for the next BIOS updates hoping to resolve your EXPO posting issues, consider trying a different RAM kit. It's not worth the headache. I've spent the past 6 months waiting for a fix, performing BIOS updates, reconfiguring the BIOS after failed posts, and fiddling with timings and frequency. All I had to do was change the RAM from CMK32GX5M2D6000Z36 to F5-6000J3238F16GX2-FX5. Now, it works flawlessly without any meddling.

1 hour ago, ChronoWise said:

The PC is operating stably without any issues. I've noticed that the booting time is significantly longer than with the Corsair kit. This may provide a clue to why the Corsair kit fails to post. When it does post, it takes much less time than G.SKILL.

In summary, if you're waiting for the next BIOS updates hoping to resolve your EXPO posting issues, consider trying a different RAM kit. It's not worth the headache. I've spent the past 6 months waiting for a fix, performing BIOS updates, reconfiguring the BIOS after failed posts, and fiddling with timings and frequency. All I had to do was change the RAM from CMK32GX5M2D6000Z36 to F5-6000J3238F16GX2-FX5. Now, it works flawlessly without any meddling.

There is a BIOS setting that may speed your boot time, thought latest BIOS for my Gigabyte boards has made it a non-issue...

Look for Memory Context and turn it on.  It'll stop the relearning process, if that's what is causing your slow down.  If not, then not sure why Corsair would load faster than G. Skill.

My G. Skill takes a nice short time currently.  No Fast Boot or anything.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

My system with memory context restore (training only happens once after a reset) is about 32 seconds from case power button push to login screen. This is WAY down from the nearly 60 seconds it was in October at Zen4's launch. (And no where near the 12 seconds for my Zen3 machine)

People like to always attribute the slow boot to memory training but if they memory isn't be trained at every boot, other things are at play. 

For instance, I had a secondary display plugged into one of my boards Thunderbolt/USB4 ports that is connected to the iGPU. Having that plugged in and that having to be initialized at aboot increased my boot time. Unplugging that it shaved 8-10 seconds off. I just got in the X670E Taichi thread on OCN (really the best place for in depth talk) and asked what they were doing for shortening boot times. 

I think some B650 boards are much shorter due to just having less to initialize. Second chipset and more controllers just takes longer.. is my theory anyway. 

The boot time from pressing the button to the BIOS screen was about 39 seconds. After enabling context memory restore, it decreased to 36 seconds. While this isn't an issue for me, I noticed that Corsair booted significantly faster. Fast boot is enabled, any reason to turn it off? 

I've meant to try turning it off and see what happens. Naturally you'd expect the opposite but hey, that's tinkering. My boots are around 30-35 second from button press to login screen. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting on this. I'm pretty sure this memory -CMH64GX5M2B6000Z30-  cost many 10's if not 100's of hours of troubleshooting... I hadn't built a system in a very long time and was not too familiar with the in's and outs. Was running the memory EXPO speeds and the computer would constantly BSOD from sleep. I thought it was my 4080 but it turns out bad memory can  cause nvlddmkm.sys errors. I've put the memory down to 5600 but using the EXPO profile. I then tightened up the timings using what I found online for these Hynix sticks. So far so good.