How Many USBs Can You Plug In At Once?

TannerMcCoolman

I feel like this is something that a lot of people have thought about before, but almost nobody has actually tried to do.

Main Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 6800H | Radeon RX 6650 M | 16GB DDR5 4800 | 1TB SSD | Windows 10 Pro

Server: Dell Optiplex 9010 | Core i5 3470 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | 1x 240GB SSD | 2x 4TB HDD | Windows 10 Pro

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0401-7853-6422

Wii Console Number: 0476 3397 0330 5218

3DS Friend Code: 1221-2773-6856

Wow a video that came out right as I was looking for PCI-E x 1 usb hubs.... too bad I already ordered one. If you're not really worried about adding a plethora of end points and just wanting some additional USB-A and USB-C ports for say, VR plugin, as HOTAS plugin, and generally just add peripherals would something like the YEELIYA PCIe to USB 3.2 or SupaHub PCI-E to USB 3.0 Card be sufficient? Legit was trying to do research on this very topic right when this video came out.

Thoughts on the yeeliya is that the USB-C ports share a 10Gbps if only one is occupied then that will be more than enough to handle any modern hardware and the three UBS-As can all with ease handle peripherals.

I was also looking at the ulansen PCI-E 7 port card. Really a lot of options from companies you never really heard of before. At least in my experience.

Does anyone know a USB Hub where each Port can be turn on and off via a Software and NOT requiere any HW Push?
Why I ask? I want put several Sensing Device into a Waterprofe Case to use them during Travel. I dont need all device always on at the same Time.

Thanks!

From AT. :x

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 11:38 PM, TannerMcCoolman said:

How many USB devices can be plugged into a PC at one time? It's a reasonable question, but the answer is more complicated than you might expect. We took 127 USB devices and plugged them in one by one until something broke. Then we took those same devices and reconfigured a few things to see if we can break it a different way. Just how broken do things get? Which limits get hit? How can you calculate YOUR maximum USB amount?

Hey , I'm stucked with a strange error "not enough usb controller resources", I have Ugreen USB 3.0 KVM switch with USB HUB(Generic USB 2.1 Hub Self powered), in which i have connected Razer DeathAdder V2 X HyperSpeed - 2× Mouse, Shenzhen Xunweijia Development FIFINE 683 Microphone - Audio, ASUSTek Computer ASUS AI Noise-Cancelling Mic Adapter - Audio and Holtek Semiconductor HTLTEK Gaming keyboard - Keyboard. When i connect all devices at once i get notification "not enough usb controller resources". Either Mouse or ASUSTek Computer ASUS AI Noise-Cancelling Mic Adapter - Audio stop working. And the strange is that only Microphone of ASUS AI Noise-Cancelling Mic Adapter stop working headphone worked fine. 

Can you or your help in understanding the issue?.

I am attaching the USB tree view

usb_tree_view.txt

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 12:37 PM, Roushan said:

Hey , I'm stucked with a strange error "not enough usb controller resources", I have Ugreen USB 3.0 KVM switch with USB HUB(Generic USB 2.1 Hub Self powered), in which i have connected Razer DeathAdder V2 X HyperSpeed - 2× Mouse, Shenzhen Xunweijia Development FIFINE 683 Microphone - Audio, ASUSTek Computer ASUS AI Noise-Cancelling Mic Adapter - Audio and Holtek Semiconductor HTLTEK Gaming keyboard - Keyboard. When i connect all devices at once i get notification "not enough usb controller resources". Either Mouse or ASUSTek Computer ASUS AI Noise-Cancelling Mic Adapter - Audio stop working. And the strange is that only Microphone of ASUS AI Noise-Cancelling Mic Adapter stop working headphone worked fine. 

Can you or your help in understanding the issue?.

I am attaching the USB tree view

usb_tree_view.txt 2.11 kB · 4 downloads

You may have actually hit the limit on what your hub/root controller can handle from a single stream.

Unplug everything except audio devices and turn their recording/playback quality down to something like "CD Quality 41kHz" in Windows.

What isn't mentioned is that a four port hub has to *evenly* divide the amount of bandwidth. That means that if you have a hungry enough device (like an audio DAC or two) it can soak up an entire hub's bandwidth.