Help, 4 sticks or 2 sticks?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
8 hours ago, Verksam said:

Regardless of whether i am using 64GB (4x16) or 32GB (2x16), CPU-Z reports my memory speed as 3000mhz, Bios reports it at 4800mhz, and task manager 6000mhz. (The RAM should be 6000).

They're actually all reporting the same thing. 

CPU-Z reports the actual memory clock, not the data rate that the kit is advertised at. Because RAM is double data rate, you multiply the frequency by 2 to get the data rate, so 3000MHz is actually 6000MT/s. 

The BIOS is actually reporting DDR5 6000, you're just reading it in the wrong spot. ASUS is weird with how they do this, they put the supported JEDEC frequency of the sticks in that section rather than the reported frequency that you would expect to be there (everyone I know reads this wrong the first time they try, don't feel bad about this, it's poor UI design). If you look up under information, the memory section reports DDR5 6000 which is what the RAM is actually running at. 

Task Manager is reporting 6000 MT/s, though it reports the wrong units just because it's what task manager does (it should be MT/s or Mbps, though Microsoft labels it wrong, same way how they label GiB as GB). 

I have 4x16 corsair vengeance ddr5 6000 Ram sticks. I am using AMD EXPO II (activated).
I am new to the pc world. I was recently told that if use 4 sticks instead of 2, my RAM speed will decrease.
Is that true, is there nothing i can do to prevent it. Should i run 2 sticks or 4?

Current Specs:

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
GPU-Palit RTX 4080
Motherboard- ASUS TUF GAMING A620M-PLUS WIFI, AMD

NVME-SN850X 2TB

RAM- 4x16 corsair vengeance RGB DDR5 6000

8 minutes ago, Verksam said:

I have 4x16 corsair vengeance ddr5 6000 Ram sticks. I am using AMD EXPO II (activated).
I am new to the pc world. I was recently told that if use 4 sticks instead of 2, my RAM speed will decrease.
Is that true, is there nothing i can do to prevent it. Should i run 2 sticks or 4?

Current Specs:

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
GPU-Palit RTX 4080

NVME-SN850X 2TB

DDR5 is finicky when it comes to 4x sticks in regards to speed.  Getting anything above 4800mhz with 4 sticks is difficult.
This is due to limitation of the memory controller, this is also the reason why we are starting to see companies make 24GB and 48GB sticks so we can have higher clockspeeds with higher memory capacity.

For gaming, use 2x16 sticks and enable EXPO to 6000mhz.
Updating your BIOS can help with memory compatability and stability, so maybe you can get 4 sticks working at decent speeds.

4 minutes ago, Verksam said:

I was recently told that if use 4 sticks instead of 2, my RAM speed will decrease.

It's complicated. 4 sticks are harder to deal with, but you can still get them to work at respectable speeds a lot of the time. Speed will go down if you're not using EXPO, and enabling EXPO is harder than if you just use 2x32GB, but it still can work without too much incident. 

If you already have it and EXPO enables (confirmed with software in the OS, preferably CPU-Z), performance is as you'd expect and it's not worth swapping it out. 

10 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

4 sticks are harder to deal with, but you can still get them to work at respectable speeds a lot of the time

Either boardlimit or imc limit most of the time, hence why you rarely ever see super high speed 4 stick configs

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you already have it and EXPO enables (confirmed with software in the OS, preferably CPU-Z), performance is as you'd expect and it's not worth swapping it out.

^^^

actually youd get a tiny bit better performance due to dual rank but ddr5 dual rank isnt as op as ddr4 dual rank performance benifits wise

13 hours ago, Verksam said:

Current Specs:

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
GPU-Palit RTX 4080

NVME-SN850X 2TB

Hey everyone, thank you for the the help thus far.
I have been using CPU-Z, BIOS and task manager to further investigate this and now i am confused.

Below i have attached some screenshots. Regardless of whether i am using 64GB (4x16) or 32GB (2x16), CPU-Z reports my memory speed as 3000mhz, Bios reports it at 4800mhz, and task manager 6000mhz. (The RAM should be 6000).

Any thoughts why this is occurring?

In the end do the Ram sticks work at the same speed regardless of 2 or 4 sticks?

Is there anything else i can do to reach 6000mhz speed advertised?

32GB Bios.jpg

32GB CPU-Z.png

32GB task manager.png

64GB Bios.jpg

64GB cpu-Z.png

64GB task manager.png

8 hours ago, Verksam said:

Regardless of whether i am using 64GB (4x16) or 32GB (2x16), CPU-Z reports my memory speed as 3000mhz, Bios reports it at 4800mhz, and task manager 6000mhz. (The RAM should be 6000).

They're actually all reporting the same thing. 

CPU-Z reports the actual memory clock, not the data rate that the kit is advertised at. Because RAM is double data rate, you multiply the frequency by 2 to get the data rate, so 3000MHz is actually 6000MT/s. 

The BIOS is actually reporting DDR5 6000, you're just reading it in the wrong spot. ASUS is weird with how they do this, they put the supported JEDEC frequency of the sticks in that section rather than the reported frequency that you would expect to be there (everyone I know reads this wrong the first time they try, don't feel bad about this, it's poor UI design). If you look up under information, the memory section reports DDR5 6000 which is what the RAM is actually running at. 

Task Manager is reporting 6000 MT/s, though it reports the wrong units just because it's what task manager does (it should be MT/s or Mbps, though Microsoft labels it wrong, same way how they label GiB as GB).