Is it safe to leave an HDMI cable plugged in from GPU to TV while using a different monitor with the TV powered off?

BroadSTBeast
Go to solution Solved by BlueChinchillaEatingDorito,
1 hour ago, BroadSTBeast said:

I have my GPU plugged into both a monitor at my desk and an OLED TV across the room which I alternate back and forth between depending on whether I'm working or playing a game. I'm wondering if there is any risk to keeping my GPU plugged into the TV even when I'm just using a monitor (and the TV is off). I normally wouldn't have thought twice about this but a few months ago I had an LG CX TV which died out of warranty due to a mainboard issue; while researching what could of caused this, I saw a Reddit post of someone who said that leaving the TV plugged into a GPU when not in use could wear out the mainboard. I'm not sure if there is any validity to what that post said but it's made me a little afraid to keep my GPU plugged into my new TV all the time to where I unplug the HDMI cable every time I'm just using the monitor. 

I'm wondering if it's okay to just leave the HDMI cord plugged in all the time or if anyone has some insight to whether this setup can cause issues with OLED TV's. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! 

Nope, there isn't. You just have to be mindful if Windows is outputting to the TV needlessly when it's off. 

That Redditor's logic doesn't make sense. So leaving an unused display plugged in will wear out the motherboard but actually utilizing that display out doesn't? Even if there is additional wear (which there certainly wouldn't be any), it'll be a negligible amount.

I have my GPU plugged into both a monitor at my desk and an OLED TV across the room which I alternate back and forth between depending on whether I'm working or playing a game. I'm wondering if there is any risk to keeping my GPU plugged into the TV even when I'm just using a monitor (and the TV is off). I normally wouldn't have thought twice about this but a few months ago I had an LG CX TV which died out of warranty due to a mainboard issue; while researching what could of caused this, I saw a Reddit post of someone who said that leaving the TV plugged into a GPU when not in use could wear out the mainboard. I'm not sure if there is any validity to what that post said but it's made me a little afraid to keep my GPU plugged into my new TV all the time to where I unplug the HDMI cable every time I'm just using the monitor. 

I'm wondering if it's okay to just leave the HDMI cord plugged in all the time or if anyone has some insight to whether this setup can cause issues with OLED TV's. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! 

1 hour ago, BroadSTBeast said:

Nope, there isn't. You just have to be mindful if Windows is outputting to the TV needlessly when it's off. 

That Redditor's logic doesn't make sense. So leaving an unused display plugged in will wear out the motherboard but actually utilizing that display out doesn't? Even if there is additional wear (which there certainly wouldn't be any), it'll be a negligible amount.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I don't really see how the motherboard of a turned off monitor would wear out from that.

If anything, I'd be worried about constantly plugging and unplugging the monitor to wear out the plug's contacts.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

On 8/7/2023 at 9:58 PM, BroadSTBeast said:

@Eigenvektor @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito Thanks for the advice guys. I'm gonna leave it plugged in and not worry about it. 

You're more likely to break the connector from constantly unplugging, and plugging it back in, than you are to wear out any components on the motherboard while the display is off.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

solved already but there is no issue with having more than 1 monitor plugged in and switching back and forth. i have my computer, a couple of gaming consoles and my TV box all plugged into my TV and i have had no issues at all for the past several years i have been using this used when i go it TV and i swap to different inputs all the time.