1000 or Below Laptop for College

Hello, I need a laptop for college but I don't know what to get. I don't intend on gaming with it; however, I would like it to be fast enough so that im not waiting around for programs/pages to load like I did with my schools chromebook. I also might do CAD stuff on it? I'm not really sure what else besides writing papers and browsing, but I will be in engineer school. Any suggestions or help will be appreciated, I never bought or owned a laptop before, so thank you alot for your help!

You don't need to go super hard for your use case it seems.

I still recommend getting a dedicated GPU just so the tasks that you do are accelerated, but you can aim for the Nvidia -50 class paired with a decent enough CPU.

For the rest, having a good battery, build quality and I/O are always great to have.

Just some things to keep in mind.

Good luck!

P.S. If you're having trouble deciding between few models, ask here!

>> Please consider tagging me (with a @) or quoting my reply so I can more easily get back at you! <<

Always happy to help!! 馃

Heya. If all your Applications run on Apple Silicon, get a base Macbook Air M1 or M2.

If it has to be Windows, Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro series is really great. Solid quality, great screen, good performance.

1 minute ago, Darkseth said:

Heya. If all your Applications run on Apple Silicon, get a base Macbook Air M1 or M2.

Adding on: Apple has very good student discounts. Make sure you take advantage of this if you do go with a macbook.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

35 minutes ago, Honos said:

Hello, I need a laptop for college but I don't know what to get. I don't intend on gaming with it; however, I would like it to be fast enough so that im not waiting around for programs/pages to load like I did with my schools chromebook. I also might do CAD stuff on it? I'm not really sure what else besides writing papers and browsing, but I will be in engineer school. Any suggestions or help will be appreciated, I never bought or owned a laptop before, so thank you alot for your help!

聽I also do cad and my 8gb 128gb macbook air m1 works just fine. It is also pretty fast for everything else. I got it for 849 dollars at best buy. I would recommend speccing up though.聽 If you need it cheaper, then buy refurbished

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

41 minutes ago, Honos said:

9 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

^^ M1/M2 macbook air/pro are the best general purpose laptops out there. If everything you need can run on it, then its by far the best option and fall below $1k.

M1/M2 Apple silicon appears to support AutoCAD. I'd just grab the list of software you'll be using for the program and we can work out whether it'll be supported.

Otherwise, a basic Windows laptop within the budget will do nicely. $1k is a decent budget, where you can either get a budget gaming laptop or an ultrabook in that price range with solid specs and decent battery life.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012聽 //聽 Professional since 2017