Handling mental health anfter meeting aggressive custemers

Primoz H.

Hi guys,

what are your experiences with aggressive custumers in teck or other stores/services and with handling the mental backlash after the drama.

First off i for one have deserved beeing chastised by custemers especially at begining. And you work to improve yoursefl and so on.

But when you realy try to hepl people and you get a realy heavy verbal abuse it gets dificult mentaly.

Personaly it got better with time. You recognise with time certain signs and handle those people caerfuly.

If you still get abused, talk it out with covorker/friend.

Go to the boss if you have an understanding one who takes time to talk such incedence over.

Your thouts additions and so on.

I just move on. I know it sounds dumb, but anyone that's verbally abusive doesn't deserve my respect or time. It's no way a grown up adult should behave, no matter the circumstances. Also, the phrase "the cutomer is always right" is bullshit and you don't have to take everything.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

I know it sounds dumb, but anyone that's verbally abusive doesn't deserve my respect or time.

I agree. I think anyone who treats first-line customer support personnel poorly is an asshole.

I was very sad when I saw people on this forum defend Linus when he did it.

My first job was attending a 'lottery store' (I don't know if these are a thing in other countries, I'm from Argentina for context) and 9 out of 10 people treated me like garbage. It's truly a sad feeling but once you see where it's coming from (People that see you as 'the company' instead of just an employee) you can catch things on the fly. If someone said something about me or how I did my job they were met with "thanks for your comments" and I moved on, they don't deserve getting through your skin. Let in good thoughts and to everything else say "not my problem". Once your work hours are finished, take a breath of fresh air and enjoy.

Personally, I recommend leaving these kind of jobs ASAP. They hurt you a lot. I prefer a million times sit behind my computer at work than to be in front of an angry customer that just wants to be angry.

TL;DR: I don't recommend these jobs, and if you have the opportunity hop to something healthier.

Just tell yourself that you will never seen the same customer again and the next day may be better. Best thing to do is motivate yourself.

I like computers. And watching them blow up while playing GTA 5. Remember to update to Windows 11! 😁 

Forum Member

Spoiler

Brroooooo spiders are the only web developers that enjoy finding bugs.

Forum Member Definition:

A person who participates on an internet forum. Also called a forumite. So why does the word forumite remind me of a species of mites?

I’m lucky enough to work somewhere that’s pretty happy to fire customers who don’t behave like civilized humans. Even when things do get a little out of hand, I just look inward and think if there’s anything that was under my control that I could’ve done better, or was the customer just an asshole. 

I had a previous employer that had an even better policy of getting one “fuck off” a year, where we got a no-questions-asked opportunity to tell a bad customer to fuck off. Those guys got it.