120mm dual tower cooler + 10850K?

Go to solution Solved by tkitch,

if you want an air cooler:

Peerless Assassin 2
AK-620

They're in the pricerange of the D12L, but are way better performers.  The 620 can even beat the D15 at 40 bucks less.

So for reference:

I'm using a 280 AIO on a 10850K

I'm using XTU and I can do 5.1 ghz All Core, pushing ~225-230W and sustain around 80 degrees.  (If I push to 5.2, temps jump to 95ish, and that's too much.)

10850K settings on XTU:

Core Voltage - 1.2V

Core Amp - 150A (Gaming), 200A (Video)

Long Power Limit - 125W

Short Power Limit - 195W

Turbo Time Limit - 112 secs

Currently on a Hyper 212X (with push-pull--though not sure if this helps), and not concern about gaming, it's the video editing (especially on making proxies in Resolve--only Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, so not all day). I think it's time to upgrade to a better air cooler, the H212X is from my i7-6700K.

Making proxies (1/2 resolution), it can reach 4.7 GHz (XTU, Task Manager & HwINFO), though the DTS will show that it's reaching 98 C and reaching close to 110W. Yes it's a big OOF; already clipped the current limit and temp limit.

I'm a little bit sceptical about about the NH-D12L, is anyone running 10850K or 10900K on that? The reason I'm looking at that is because I can reuse my CM MF120 Halo, also not worrying about clearance. I'm on NZXT Source 530 (the more pedestrian version of the Phantom 530) and all 4 DIMMs populated--low profile.

Or it's not enough that I need to opt for larger 140mm cooler, like the MA624 or the NH-D15S?

Planned target:

Able to get 4.8 GHz and able to reach at least 150W turbo--it's fine, it can reach 95C only during video editing.

Other notes:

I might switch my top 2x140mm fan from intake to exhaust. There's 1x200mm intake at the front, while the remaining 3 are 140mm, only 1 rear exhaust.

Peerless Assassin 2
AK-620

They're in the pricerange of the D12L, but are way better performers.  The 620 can even beat the D15 at 40 bucks less.

So for reference:

I'm using XTU and I can do 5.1 ghz All Core, pushing ~225-230W and sustain around 80 degrees.  (If I push to 5.2, temps jump to 95ish, and that's too much.)

+1 for the Peerless Assassin 2. I run a Peerless Assassin 120 SE on my 5700x and I'm really happy with it once I dialed in the fan curves. I was actually looking at upgrading to a Peerless Assassin IV for the aesthetics

12 minutes ago, NeverNotExhausted said:

I was actually looking at upgrading to a Peerless Assassin IV for the aesthetics

I can see the confusion given Assassin in the name, but Peerless Assassin 120 is a Thermalright cooler. Assassin IV is a DeepCool cooler. 

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I can see the confusion given Assassin in the name, but Peerless Assassin 120 is a Thermalright cooler. Assassin IV is a DeepCool cooler. 

Yeah I actually just realized that just before I got the notification from your comment 😅

23 hours ago, tkitch said:

Peerless Assassin 2
AK-620

So for reference:

D12L, I've checked retail price are around $130.

The AK620 is ~$100 on most retail shops, but, not $40 cheaper when compared to the D15S: it's $80!

You're giving me hope that I push my chip to 5 GHz (or more conservative, 4.9) at 100% load on air only. 🥲

23 hours ago, micha_vulpes said:

The Phantom spirit I think added an extra heat pipe and is the same price as the PA 120SE fairly regularly. http://www.thermalright.com/product/phantom-spirit-120-se/

This might be a problem, only few shops are selling these and availability might not be good, but it's $30-ish cheaper than the AK620.

So, I think I'm off with either AK620 or the PS 120 SE. Though, leaning towards the PS 120 SE, due to the rectangular base, versus square--as I'm gonna assume that Intel is going to have the same mounting holes as the LGA 1700/1800, and its IHS is still LGA 1700 rectangular after four generations (assuming I upgrade to a 16th/17th gen).

I'll mark which ever solution I bought and is satisfied with it.

1 minute ago, AlfaProto said:

The AK620 is ~$100 on most retail shops, but, not $40 cheaper when compared to the D15S: it's $80!

You're giving me hope that I push my chip to 5 GHz (or more conservative, 4.9) at 100% load on air only. 🥲

This might be a problem, only few shops are selling these and availability might not be good, but it's $30-ish cheaper than the AK620.

100 bucks?  what?

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-AK620-High-Performance-Dual-Tower-Dissipation/dp/B09CSXS3X4

63 on `zon 

which is about the going rate for it.  

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-AG620-BK-ARGB-Dual-Tower/dp/B0B6FH979R

Or the RGB Version is actually a little cheaper

1 hour ago, AlfaProto said:

So, I think I'm off with either AK620 or the PS 120 SE. Though, leaning towards the PS 120 SE, due to the rectangular base, versus square--as I'm gonna assume that Intel is going to have the same mounting holes as the LGA 1700/1800, and its IHS is still LGA 1700 rectangular after four generations (assuming I upgrade to a 16th/17th gen).

I'll mark which ever solution I bought and is satisfied with it.

Not sure if it's the right size, but you could also look at the TR Frost Commander 140.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

9 hours ago, tkitch said:

100 bucks?  what?

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-AK620-High-Performance-Dual-Tower-Dissipation/dp/B09CSXS3X4

63 on `zon 

which is about the going rate for it.  

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-AG620-BK-ARGB-Dual-Tower/dp/B0B6FH979R

Or the RGB Version is actually a little cheaper

After currency conversion of x1.5, it is close to $100.

Plus, it is merely an hour by car/public transportation, versus waiting 3-7 days.

On 7/24/2023 at 9:16 PM, tkitch said:

Peerless Assassin 2
AK-620

So for reference:

On 7/24/2023 at 9:48 PM, micha_vulpes said:

The Phantom spirit I think added an extra heat pipe and is the same price as the PA 120SE fairly regularly. http://www.thermalright.com/product/phantom-spirit-120-se/

Decided to go with the AK620, because the PS 120 SE is out of stock, which is a little bit fortunate, as the PA 120 SE, the heatsink is offset.

The heatsink (PA and PS120) is blocking the two CPU fan headers (fan and opt), whereas, the AK620, barely.

It reached 4.79 GHz at these:

Core Voltage - 1.2V

Core Amp - 200A

Long Power Limit - 125W

Short Power Limit - 195W

Turbo Time Limit - 112 secs

However, increasing the Core Amp to 240A, it reaches 4.9, but flattens.

Increase Core Amp to Max, enabled MCE and Advanced Profile (via UEFI), it still flatten at 4.9 GHz and CPU Package Power only reach 130W.

Which is weird because I've set (via UEFI):

Core 0 and Core 1 - x51

Core 2 -> END - x50

I might reset my UEFI settings to factory.

00 Screenshot (4227) CROP.png