Looking for new Headphones

sazrocks

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new pair of high quality headphones for gaming/more bass-intensive music. I currently have a pair of Massdrop/Drop HD6xx's being driven by a Schiit Hel 2E, with a Modmic Uni for comms (plugged into the Schiit).

I'm open to headset recommendations but as I have the modmic which can be swapped between headsets there isn't any need for an integrated mic if it's going to compromise audio quality. I have the HD6xx's for more detailed listening, but with this new pair I'm looking for something that would give a better listening experience for EDM/sythwave, etc.

My initial budget is $200 or so but I'm definitely open to going higher or lower if its justified.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

The DT770 Pro 80 ohm 🙂

There is a 250 ohm version, but 80 ohm has more B A S S

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

When you say you want "more" bass, do you want like "It'll hurt in the morning" pounding ridiculous levels of bass or just "more"? If you just want more while mantaining most of the articulate features from the HD600 I really like the Shure 840A they're about $140 USD but they sound like they cost $350.

Have you already tried EQing more bass into the HD6xx? If so, what other aspects of the sound are you looking to change?

Beyerdynamic DT 900 pro X. Tygr 300r. HE400SE from Hifiman or the Sundaras.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

5 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

Beyerdynamic DT 900 pro X. Tygr 300r. HE400SE from Hifiman or the Sundaras.

He400SE and Sundara are actually below-neutral in some parts of the bass spectrum and are definitely not a fit for someone looking to listen to bass heavy music. They sound good, yes, but not for techno.

4 hours ago, HAL90000 said:

He400SE and Sundara are actually below-neutral in some parts of the bass spectrum and are definitely not a fit for someone looking to listen to bass heavy music. They sound good, yes, but not for techno.

They can certainly sound good for techno. EQ works fine.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

14 hours ago, HAL90000 said:

When you say you want "more" bass, do you want like "It'll hurt in the morning" pounding ridiculous levels of bass or just "more"? If you just want more while mantaining most of the articulate features from the HD600 I really like the Shure 840A they're about $140 USD but they sound like they cost $350.

Significantly more than the HD6XX’s, but I’m not trying to blast my ears. I have airpods pro and Wx1000xm4’s and those provide what I would consider an acceptable level of bass. The lack of bass in the HD6XX’s is my primary complaint about them. 

14 hours ago, Spuriae said:

Have you already tried EQing more bass into the HD6xx? If so, what other aspects of the sound are you looking to change?

I’ve tried, I can’t get the same kind of bass with the open back I guess.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

2 hours ago, sazrocks said:

Significantly more than the HD6XX’s, but I’m not trying to blast my ears. I have airpods pro and Wx1000xm4’s and those provide what I would consider an acceptable level of bass. The lack of bass in the HD6XX’s is my primary complaint about them.

I’ve tried, I can’t get the same kind of bass with the open back I guess.

The Airpods Pro and WX1000XM4 are both ANC headphones. ANC headphones use internal feedback microphones, which give them exceptional bass extension and control at high levels (more or less impossible to imitate outside of high-end planars) at the expense of mid and treble performance. Compare the bass response of the XM4 in passive mode (wired, powered off) vs. noise cancelling on.

If you don't listen too loudly, you should be able to get plenty more bass (at least quantity-wise) out of the HD6XX using EQ. Try a low-shelf filter, +15dB, at 60Hz for example. Increase the filter frequency to increase the bass quantity.

If bass control at high levels is an issue, get a planar and EQ in more bass. If you want something that performs well without EQ, the K371 is probably the closest thing to consumer ANC headphone-like bass that you can get in a passive dynamic headphone. Consider the planar Aeon Closed X as a possible step-up option outside your budget.

Do you wear glasses by any chance?

The 6xx is certainly not a bassy headphone.  The DT770 250 ohm would be a bassier headphone but I wouldn't call it a bass focused headphone, it's more neutral but certainly has more bass due to it being a closed back headphone.

If you want something with a fuller sound and a bit more bass I would recommend the Rode NTH-100 or Meze 99 Neo, both are easy to drive and will sound excellent on your Hel.  They both have more of that "consumer" sound to them however it's done right.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission