I DIDN'T get scammed on Facebook Marketplace!

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Hi guys! First post on the forum, long time follower from Argentina here.

I'm a sysadmin and one of the devices I manage is a NetApp array. I have a support account for those things, and I can download the software and give you a hand if you are interested.

Many of the license keys there are freely downloadable, so I can get them for you, if anything just for playing a little and creating some more content.

23 minutes ago, ElPelado said:

Hi guys! First post on the forum, long time follower from Argentina here

Using, sharing or getting license keys for commercial software is piracy and not condoned on the forums. Doesn't matter if its not as hardly controlled where you live.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Using, sharing or getting license keys for commercial software is piracy and not condoned on the forums. Doesn't matter if its not as hardly controlled where you live.

Hey, sorry if it sounded like I was suggesting piracy, I'm not. In the video they mentioned being unable to download the software, so I thought I could help.

I see what you mean about the licenses, and I apologize for the suggestion, it was a spur of the moment thing, I guess I didn't think it through. It's not a "where you live" thing (a bit presumptuous on your part, if I may add), it's just an "I'm a fan and I was excited about maybe being able to help in some way and I piped up faster than I should have" thing.

I'll just keep watching I guess, see ya!

2 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I LOVE SHITTY PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE

It has its advantages, yes

Although NetApp is not the best brand they could have started with...

Shout out to the YouTube commenter that pointed this out, but not only does Netapp have proprietary software for the hardware you buy, they also have licenses that are used for capacity, for the drives you had already purchased.

It's already insane that you have to buy a license to use the hardware you already bought from them, but to buy another license to use the storage you already own is just wretched. Requirements for garbage like this should genuinely be illegal.

If the drives are going to e-waste, I'd love to pay for shipping (eastern canada) and get a pair of them. I only want them for the fancy brushless motor and the magnets, not to store data. 

lol that went as well as I expected. Licensing like that is always a complete show stopper unfortunately. I honestly was surprised you bothered to even try and get it running 😅

The disk shelves are so sweet though, totally worth what you paid, and the disk sleds with interposers.

3 hours ago, ElPelado said:

if anything just for playing a little and creating some more content.

It's not worth the hassle, would be easier to get a new demo unit of a NetApp reseller/partner that was feeling generous then you could show something actually interesting like an all NVMe setup. NetApp doesn't really want super old FAS8020's shown off because that doesn't give a good perception of modern performance of their systems so they have zero interest in helping out.

P.S. Jake did the right thing early on and deemed upgrading the ONTAP versions was really just going to be a waste of time since it wasn't going to be kept and it wasn't even going to work anyway.

3 hours ago, Draymore said:

It's already insane that you have to buy a license to use the hardware you already bought from them, but to buy another license to use the storage you already own is just wretched. Requirements for garbage like this should genuinely be illegal.

That license is for the platform software features, everything in the enterprise world is per capacity license or per CPU core license where most applicable. It's also the support cost as well since even if the drive fails it gets replaced and that lasts as long as you keep paying the license and support fee up until notification of End of Life. 

It's not as bad as it appears, for example usable storage capacity $/GB/Month between NetApp HDD and a few PB of Ceph cluster storage is about 3-4x difference but you have to do more management of Ceph, more deployment planning and you don't get any of the advanced features applicable to enterprise customers that is the actual reason to buy a NetApp in the first place. We run both NetApp FAS HDD systems and NetApp AFF SSD/NVMe systems as well as a fairly decent sized Ceph cluster and they all have their purpose for why we have them. If Ceph could really do it all and for less than half the cost then we wouldn't have NetApp.

8 hours ago, ElPelado said:

It's not a "where you live" thing (a bit presumptuous on your part, if I may add),

On purpose. I know there are countries where copyright laws aren't in place or enforced. And I know from experience being moderator that people come here at times with "everyone here does it" attitude. It's not meant to be rude or accusation, just notion.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The comment about "condescending attitude" of people telling Linus to buy a Netapp made me laugh. Working in the enterprise sector my day is filled with licensing woes. When I come home I run open-source software because there are NO LICENSES. There are special features on enterprise equipment you don't get with open source but it is honestly not worth it most of the time. Give me Linux, Ceph, KVM anyday of the week.

@jakkuh_t I know it's mentioned in the video to reach out for those drives if you local. Buuuut. I live in USA-CT and have a server that takes SAS drives that I'd love extra drives for! 💕

Hi guys, at the end of the video, Linus mentioned that you can have a set up with a motherboard plus a chasis for home usage. Could someone please point me in the right direction to set up one?

On 7/24/2023 at 5:27 AM, LogicalDrm said:

On purpose. I know there are countries where copyright laws aren't in place or enforced. And I know from experience being moderator that people come here at times with "everyone here does it" attitude. It's not meant to be rude or accusation, just notion.

Maybe wait for said attitude to actually manifest before calling somebody out on it.

On 7/23/2023 at 1:55 PM, jakkuh_t said:

You and @LinusTech should autograph the drives and sell them on the store for funzies.

You can't tell me they wouldn't sell out to just FP subs.  (Or take them to LTX as a special in-person item to sell)

On 7/23/2023 at 3:22 PM, ElPelado said:

It has its advantages, yes

Although NetApp is not the best brand they could have started with...

Agreed, I'd love to see them play around with some EMC (now Dell) or Nutanix/Pure Storage arrays. The EMC direct matrix storage architecture is particularly interesting.

21 minutes ago, vannac said:

Agreed, I'd love to see them play around with some EMC (now Dell) or Nutanix/Pure Storage arrays. The EMC direct matrix storage architecture is particularly interesting.

I 2nd this, would love to see Jake connecting a Dell-EMC/Pure Storage/HPC-Nimble over fiber channel to show what a more modern SAN setup would look like and perform. Netapps are only a good to show how companies can nickel and dime you to death.

1 hour ago, TheThree said:

Netapps are only a good to show how companies can nickel and dime you to death.

EMC isn't any better, not at all. Plus the current NetApp licensing is all inclusive now rather than having to buy each protocol and feature set.

Having searched for it (without success) for hours: Does anyone know what command Jake uses at 17:57 in TrueNAS to locate the drives?

On 7/25/2023 at 3:40 PM, leadeater said:

EMC isn't any better, not at all. Plus the current NetApp licensing is all inclusive now rather than having to buy each protocol and feature set.

Almost all-inclusive. There are several features, such as ransomware self-protection, that is still purchased separately. Dell (EMC does not exist as a separate company anymore) moved most of their products to an all-inclusive model, and their newer lines are fully like that. Pure Storage also has the "no license" model, as in you own what you bought; of course if you want updates and support you have to pay for it in subscription.

That's what I meant by NetApp not being the best for the intro to enterprise-grade storage (complicated licensing, horrible GUI and CLI administration, convoluted logical model). Pure, which LTT visited before once at least, and to an extent DellEMC have much better and simpler admin interfaces, and are as feature-rich as almost any other. 

DellEMC have much better and simpler admin interfaces, and are as feature-rich as almost any other. 

That still depends on what you actually use from them. If you use VPLEX with VNX and present all your storage through the VPLEX I personally wouldn't say it's uncomplicated.

The only real thing that annoys me about the NetApp GUI is in the recent version of the GUI it won't let you create a volume without a share, so if you just want a volume for an iSCSI LUN you're better off doing it in CLI or you have to go delete all the extra "helpful things" it just did for you haha.

convoluted logical model

What do you mean?

Pure Storage also has the "no license" model, as in you own what you bought; of course if you want updates and support you have to pay for it in subscription.

I don't see how that is really different from anyone else, bar actually having to put a license in at the start. As long as you don't erase the license it'll work forever, without update access of course.

Unless Pure is different than everyone else you're stuck only being able to use their hardware which greatly effects reusability after service life. I have a simple IBM DS3512 at home I can't really use anymore because it only accept IBM firmware disks so unless you have cheap access to IBM disks of actually worthwhile capacity for today it's sadly e-waste, situation all too common for all the storage vendors.

Also I'm not really sold on the NetApp BlueXP future, it's good that they are trying to introduce a better user interface and you can run an on-perm instance of it but it feels too new and basic right now and certainly not better than what other vendors have.

P.S. I know Dell owns EMC but EMC products are still even now EMC products. A Dell Compellent isn't anything like an EMC VNX, far as I know everything Dell storage is dead and it's only EMC technologies now?

Also last time I looked at Pure the way it did NAS services was really not appealing, seemed like a block storage first and then "oh we need NAS too" approach. It's at least native now right? Not running a Windows VM anymore? As soon as you present "Just run this Windows VM on the Pure controller" to a NetApp customer then you are dead to them. You are probably talking to someone where NAS services and SMB is a primary need and you are trying to sell them on running a Windows VM. FlashArray is still like this and only FlashBlade not?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 9:28 PM, leadeater said:

If you use VPLEX with VNX and present all your storage through the VPLEX I personally wouldn't say it's uncomplicated.

Not sure if that's a fair example....abstracting the storage through a virtualization layer with VPLEX is bound to be more complicated than serving the storage directly from an array.

Anyway, just want to say as a former EMC employee I appreciate the fellow storage nerds on here! I hope to see more Enterprise storage/SAN content from LTT once this latest Gamer's Nexus drama receeds...

1 hour ago, vannac said:

Not sure if that's a fair example....abstracting the storage through a virtualization layer with VPLEX is bound to be more complicated than serving the storage directly from an array.

I just bring it up since that was the architecture at my local hospital. Was a sweet setup at the time, synchronous active/active A Site / B Site setup for VMware storage, SQL Failover Cluster and SMB off the EMC.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I just bring it up since that was the architecture at my local hospital. Was a sweet setup at the time, synchronous active/active A Site / B Site setup for VMware storage, SQL Failover Cluster and SMB off the EMC.

Fair enough, I can only knowledgably comment on the systems/configs I've work on and I haven't done much with VPLEX. I'm also biased a bit biased as a former EMC employee.