Planning a new build for a photo/video editing

ryanmatt
Go to solution Solved by Why_Me,
4 hours ago, ryanmatt said:

I'm building a PC for a relative's small business the budget for the parts is $2000. He plans to mainly do photo and video editing, but wants something completely overkill that will last him another 8 years or so. I'm based in the US. Storage is not included because he already has like an 8tb m.2 and a lot of other HDDs and SSDs that I'm going to reuse. He was very particular about having an Intel CPU and 128gb of ram. Most of the builds I've done have been on stricter budgets so I want to sanity check that I'm not making any mistakes. Thank you in advance anyone who can provide guidance!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ryanmatt/saved/#view=6MT7wP

When a case says 'silent' in its name it usually means poor airflow as in it's an oven.

https://www.antec.com/product/case/p101-silent   <--- take a good look at that case and ask yourself where does it get air from.

A cpu that's easier to cool, a single set of RAM and a ATX 3.0 psu that comes with PCIe 5.0. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-13700 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *Corsair Vengeance 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory  ($294.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: *MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $813.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-22 18:16 EDT-0400

I'm building a PC for a relative's small business the budget for the parts is $2000 $1900. He plans to mainly do photo and video editing, but wants something completely overkill that will last him another 8 years or so. I'm based in the US. Storage is not included because he already has like an 8tb m.2 and a lot of other HDDs and SSDs that I'm going to reuse. He was very particular about having an Intel CPU and 128gb of ram. Most of the builds I've done have been on stricter budgets so I want to sanity check that I'm not making any mistakes. Thank you in advance anyone who can provide guidance!

Edited by ryanmatt
slight budget change

Just now, ryanmatt said:

He plans to mainly do photo and video editing, but wants something completely overkill that will last him another 8 years or so.

Which Adobe suite he's on, Creative Suite or Creative Cloud?

What monitor does he already have?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just now, SorryBella said:

Which Adobe suite he's on, Creative Suite or Creative Cloud?

Definitely on Creative Suite.

Just now, SorryBella said:

What monitor does he already have?

He has 4 monitors, 2 DP and 2 HDMI. He does not want to upgrade or change those, from my recollection the main 2 are 70 or 80hz, 1440p, and decent color accuracy.

DDR5 4x32GB is problematic. There are specific cautions about mixing DDR5 memory kits even when they are the same part. 

The Corsair 4x48GB DDR5-5200 kit is qualified in 4 slots with 13th gen CPU on the MSI PRO Z790-A.

The Dark Rock Slim is not really adequate for the CPU.

An i7-13700K has better performance than the i9-12900K. See https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/13th-gen-intel-core-processors-content-creation-review-2369/ for hard data.

Some suggestions:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($409.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($36.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($195.99 @ Best Buy) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 192 GB (4 x 48 GB) DDR5-5200 CL38 Memory  ($569.99 @ Corsair) 
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB Video Card  ($527.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($159.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit  ($144.99 @ Other World Computing) 
Total: $2173.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-22 13:50 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

18 minutes ago, ryanmatt said:

Definitely on Creative Suite.

Both have a completely different need for GPU because while CS has a pretty poor one in terms of performance uplift even on Premiere, CC uses it pretty heavily.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($36.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory  ($204.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card  ($289.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Adorama) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1260.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-22 13:56 EDT-0400

PSU and budget headroom for accelerator cards or bigger GPU, or going with 192GB kit that @brob points. But yeah 4 stick is going to be PITA any way you slice it as it stand right now.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

If I were to use the 4x48gb kit that @brob recommended what exactly would the CPU do about the extra ram. I get the mobo's limit is 192gb but the CPU is only 128gb?

30 minutes ago, ryanmatt said:

If I were to use the 4x48gb kit that @brob recommended what exactly would the CPU do about the extra ram. I get the mobo's limit is 192gb but the CPU is only 128gb?

I'm pretty sure it will just work with 192gb of ram. Often the cpu show a ram limit for what you can currently use, and when bigger memory sticks come out they will support more ram.

22 minutes ago, ryanmatt said:

Windows 11 Home will only recognize 128GB. Windows 11 Pro can handle up to 2TB.

As to the CPU recognizing more than 128GB, I've seen no mention that they will not and no explicit statement that they will. In my experience when a kit is on the motherboard QVL, any limits are noted. Since there is no indication that the CPU will not recognize 192GB, I think it safe to presume it will not be a problem. 

Regardless the only current way to get at least 128GB of DDR5 is to use 4x48GB.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

4 hours ago, ryanmatt said:

I'm building a PC for a relative's small business the budget for the parts is $2000. He plans to mainly do photo and video editing, but wants something completely overkill that will last him another 8 years or so. I'm based in the US. Storage is not included because he already has like an 8tb m.2 and a lot of other HDDs and SSDs that I'm going to reuse. He was very particular about having an Intel CPU and 128gb of ram. Most of the builds I've done have been on stricter budgets so I want to sanity check that I'm not making any mistakes. Thank you in advance anyone who can provide guidance!

When a case says 'silent' in its name it usually means poor airflow as in it's an oven.

https://www.antec.com/product/case/p101-silent   <--- take a good look at that case and ask yourself where does it get air from.

A cpu that's easier to cool, a single set of RAM and a ATX 3.0 psu that comes with PCIe 5.0. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-13700 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *Corsair Vengeance 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory  ($294.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: *MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $813.98
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-22 18:16 EDT-0400

5 hours ago, brob said:

Windows 11 Home will only recognize 128GB. Windows 11 Pro can handle up to 2TB.

Thank you, I'll make sure to get a Pro License.

2 hours ago, Why_Me said:

I switched to the Fractal R5 which from what I can tell seems to get better airflow while still being decently priced and containing a ton of drive bays. https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-r5/black/

I did also swap to a i7-13700F but forgot to click save.