Which Windows would you install on a 2600k / Sandy Bridge system?

Delicieuxz

I'm setting up my old PC to give to a friend. I've installed Windows 10 LTSC 2021 IoT on it, because it will get security updates until 2031 while other versions of Windows 10 will stop getting updates in 2025. And I expect my friend could be using this PC for a long time, perhaps even another 10 years.

But I'm running into an annoying issue that takes control away from the visible screen due to a message displaying in the background while launching a game, about the lack of some UWP (which LTSC doesn't have support for) app or functionality. I think the missing app error message I encountered might've been related to the AMD in-game overlay feature for the 6700 XT I've put in the system. But I'm not sure.

From what I've read, Windows likely 11 performs worse than 10 on Sandy Bridge, and future Windows 11 updates could create new issues for old and unsupported CPUs.

What Windows OS would you go with?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Im running W10 ..or rather a 'version' of W10 called Ghost Spectre.

Im still rocking a 3930k which is a sandybridge CPU, and it runs perfectly fine.

Most of the 'issues' with 'unsupport platforms' with W10 and W11 are in regards to installation as it fails to detect a valid TPM chip, this is easily avoidable with a modded installation file with original install files or a fully custom installation like Ghost Spectre.

The other 'issues' revolve around security vulnerabilities like Specter and Meltdown, the patches for which tend to be included in 'official' versions of W10 and 11 and which have a detrimental effects on older CPU performance.

Unless running on a business PC these 'patches' for the vulnerabilities are not required as they fix a flaw that requires physical access to the PC for any party to take advantage of the vulnerability. For the average home PC user the only people who will have physical access are the owners/users themselves thus making the security flaw rather irrelevant.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

if it's something to give to a friend... the most mainstream option possible, because if i make it complicated, i'll be on the hook for all the support they need with the weird shyte i set them up with.

don't go for 11 unless it's a last resort for better app support. it runs a lot worse than 10. you might see a minuscule boost to responsiveness to using an older build like ltsb 2015 or ltsb 2016 but sandy bridge cpus can handle the bloat of 21h2 and 22h2 perfectly fine.

I was given an old PC with an i7 2600 (non-K) and I installed Windows 11 directly. In the process I also replaced the hard drive for a basic SSD (Kingston A400) and I found the result snappy enough for office work (light browsing, Microsoft Office suite, etc.). Had I read a bit before getting to work I would probably have installed W10, as people are suggesting above. It doesn't matter anymore because I repurposed the system as a NAS, but the bottomline is that, ignorant of the amount of performance I was leaving on the table, W11 was OK.

Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.

Not just one of those versions, all three of them. If you want to upgrade your storage, also install Internet Explorer 9, Windows 8.1, and MISSINGWIN. (version 6.4).

Just now, Smithfield said:

Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.

Not just one of those versions, all three of them. If you want to upgrade your storage, also install Internet Explorer 9, Windows 8.1, and MISSINGWIN. (version 6.4).

For those who are "but muh secuwitty updats!", also forcibly install Windows 11